Lots of questions about batteries (1 Viewer)

philipjackson

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Ace
Exp
Unfortunately my motorhome (2008 Ace Firenze) was in storage from September until March. When I started it a week ago it struggled, but it did start. It's four years old and I took it for it's 2nd MOT test and then returned it to storage. I had to move it yesterday, but when I got to it the battery was dead. It started straight away with a jump start and it was fine. I've got a feeling the battery is going to be dead again when I try to move it again.
I have a number of questions. Is there a likelyhood that the battery is finished (4 years old and spent too long at outside storage)? I have looked at some replacements online, but the prices vary quite a lot. Can anybody recommend a particular type (Varta seem expensive but also seem a good make)? Is any type 019 battery OK? If I am leaving it for any length of time again would disconnecting the negative terminal help preserve the battery's charge? Will the vehicle battery running down have any effct on the leisure battery? Can I avoid this? Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be sure before I splash out for another battery. Thanks!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Unfortunately my motorhome (2008 Ace Firenze) was in storage from September until March. When I started it a week ago it struggled, but it did start. It's four years old and I took it for it's 2nd MOT test and then returned it to storage. I had to move it yesterday, but when I got to it the battery was dead. It started straight away with a jump start and it was fine. I've got a feeling the battery is going to be dead again when I try to move it again.
I have a number of questions. Is there a likelyhood that the battery is finished (4 years old and spent too long at outside storage)? I have looked at some replacements online, but the prices vary quite a lot. Can anybody recommend a particular type (Varta seem expensive but also seem a good make)? Is any type 019 battery OK? If I am leaving it for any length of time again would disconnecting the negative terminal help preserve the battery's charge? Will the vehicle battery running down have any effct on the leisure battery? Can I avoid this? Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be sure before I splash out for another battery. Thanks!

Its not uncommon for a vehicle battery to go flat when not in use, as the alarm and radio and any tracking device will still draw current. batteries also self discharge slowly over time. If allowed to stay deeply discharged for a long time this can kill the battery

try taking it off and charging properly at home before writing it off

the same goes for the leisure battery. it needs regular maintenance

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi
As said worth charging the battery and then trying it but could be knackered after 4 years and being run down.
It is best to disconnect all batteries when not in use unless you have an alarm in which case a small solar panel would be advised to keep the battery charged.
The vehicle battery being run down should not affect the leisure battery.
I am not sure on the current batteries available but I do think it is worth getting a good quality one, it may cost a bit more but will usually last a lot longer.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back