Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
up untill i went to spain i had only eaten one olive in my life,which i spat out as it was disgusting:Eeek:
after arriving in spain and going to a market i tried olives as free samples,and loved them bought loads:thumb: but what olives do the funsters recommend buying in blighty:Doh:
and where:Smile:
and also what is a nice olive oil to buy for putting on salads.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've seen them in markets in the UK-in barrels or large bowls and they are measured out for you.
Supermarkets sell them in jars and places like Waitrose and Sainsbury's would be more likely to have a choice, i think.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I've seen them in markets in the UK-in barrels or large bowls and they are measured out for you.
Supermarkets sell them in jars and places like Waitrose and Sainsbury's would be more likely to have a choice, i think.
i have seen them in the shop's but avoided them,so now i need to find one i like,never seen them at uk markets though:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't know which area of UK you live but Lymington market (Saturday) and Devizes (Thursday) usually have them. How about the deli counter in a big supermarket or a deli shop?

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Don't personally like but get a good selection in Morrison's, wife likes them

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Don't know which area of UK you live but Lymington market (Saturday) and Devizes (Thursday) usually have them. How about the deli counter in a big supermarket or a deli shop?

good thinking:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
San Miguel is good too:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I like the little ones with the stones in them

I prefer the bog standard olive with the stones in them.. have to hunt them out in jars.. do not like the stuffed one's have had many an olive from markets, green and black.. even found them at shows like Newbury.. will try most of them, but I still come back to the bog standard one with the stone...

Bob

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Black olives,the best are Kalamata olives. My younger daughter trained as a chef and was told to buy olives that haven't been pitted/stoned as those that have been stoned go mushy when placed in liquid be it brine or oil.
Queen olives are the largest and tasiest.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Olives?

Best to get them direct from the grower...

I know a Funster with a few olive trees... all you have to do is visit at the right time and bring pies/Heinz soups/Oxo cubes/Peanut Butter/Angel Delight etc for the exchange... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
aldi, they do a green olive in cihilli oil, save the oil for flavering stuff after yourve eat the olives:Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Angel bleedin' Delight, I chuckled when I read FB pies for the first time, beans I can understand, even Oxo, but Angel bleedin' Delight........JJ, I'm ........well gobsmacked. :whatthe:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Angel bleedin' Delight, I chuckled when I read FB pies for the first time, beans I can understand, even Oxo, but [HI]Angel bleedin' Delight[/HI]........JJ, I'm ........well gobsmacked. :whatthe:

Well ok then... make it Sainsburys' own brand substitute if you can't afford the real thing... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Chris, you are going to have to go a long way to get better olives than those in Catral market. ::bigsmile: They were delicious, thanks for pointing them out to me. :thumb: I may have to go and buy another tub full this coming weekend. :winky:

Brisey.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not keen on olives personally. I didn't think anyone did which was why they give them away at restaurants::bigsmile:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Chris, you are going to have to go a long way to get better olives than those in Catral market. ::bigsmile: They were delicious, thanks for pointing them out to me. :thumb: I may have to go and buy another tub full this coming weekend. :winky:

Brisey.
last time i was in catral market i bought a tub and scoffed them as i walked round and then went back and bought another tub full:roflmto:
i hope the one's you buy at the weekend give you the sh*t's:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
they were nice though:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Not keen on olives personally. I didn't think anyone did which was why they give them away at restaurants::bigsmile:
im sure you would have liked the ones we were all buying in the market in spain:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The list gets longer JJ

Olives?

I know a Funster with a few olive trees... all you have to do is visit at the right time and bring pies/Heinz soups/Oxo cubes/Peanut Butter/Angel Delight etc for the exchange... :thumb:

Can tell you have been away for to long, the list of food gets longer by the post....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Olives?

and i take it you will of picked, cured and bottled them in readyness jj, as they need to be cured before they can be eaten

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
up untill i went to spain i had only eaten one olive in my life,which i spat out as it was disgusting:Eeek:
after arriving in spain and going to a market i tried olives as free samples,and loved them bought loads:thumb: but what olives do the funsters recommend buying in blighty:Doh:
and where:Smile:
and also what is [HI]a nice olive oil to buy for putting on salads.[/HI]

Some folk like the extra virgin, but I prefer something with a bit more experience.

Angel bleedin' Delight, I chuckled when I read FB pies for the first time, beans I can understand, even Oxo, but Angel bleedin' Delight........JJ, I'm ........well gobsmacked. :whatthe:

So what's wrong with Angel bleedin' Delight????
PHILISTINE!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are buying the big black olives here in Portugal at the moment - a kilo at a time - just love them.

Don't know if you are looking for green or black, we prefer the black. In England we buy them from Tescos, a big jar for about £3.00 - they used to sell their own brand at 99p/jar, but not sure if they do those now - all of these are from Spain.

Nigel and Pamala - Northern Portugal

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Chris, the best olive oil i've ever tasted came from my sis in laws own olive grove in Castellon.........first pressing oil in a 5ltr drum and free to boot :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
aldi, they do a green olive in cihilli oil, save the oil for flavering stuff after yourve eat the olives:Smile:

forgot to say, will your in aldi get some of thier chilli chocolat, it dont make you fat and tingles you[STRIKE] a*R[/STRIKE]* tonge

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back