Frustration with insurance companies. (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I've found a motorhome and went to look this afternoon, so rang my insurers to get a quote, which came to £900, which I thought was excessive and told them so, strangely I had another call two hours later reducing this to £430. Ihis evening I started doing an online quote from Safeguard, which seemed to be going well until the last bit, when a popup told me I couldn't get a quote online because I hadn't declared my stroke to the DVLA. This is rubbish as I didn't have to, because it was a minor stroke, I was driving again after four weeks and back at work in five weeks.

What really annoyed me is that they could have put something earlier in the form and saved me wasting time filling it all in. Now I'm about to ring the RAC to find out the situation on recovering a 22 foot long 3.5 tonne vehicle, I probably won't get an answer as it's Monday and the wind is from the West, but won't find this out until I've gone through 45 options at least:RollEyes:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I've found a motorhome and went to look this afternoon, so rang my insurers to get a quote, which came to £900, which I thought was excessive and told them so, strangely I had another call two hours later reducing this to £430. Ihis evening I started doing an online quote from Safeguard, which seemed to be going well until the last bit, when a popup told me I couldn't get a quote online because I hadn't declared my stroke to the DVLA. This is rubbish as I didn't have to, because it was a minor stroke, I was driving again after four weeks and back at work in five weeks.

What really annoyed me is that they could have put something earlier in the form and saved me wasting time filling it all in. Now I'm about to ring the RAC to find out the situation on recovering a 22 foot long 3.5 tonne vehicle, I probably won't get an answer as it's Monday and the wind is from the West, but won't find this out until I've gone through 45 options at least:RollEyes:

Try Comfort Insurance. My policy on a 6.5 metre Hymer includes recovery anywhere in Europe, cost about £50 on top of premium of just over £250.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just wondered????

Just wondered??? how did safeguard know you had not told DVLA? just curious?

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
It asks on the form

I always tell the truth on insurance forms so they don't have any get out in the event of a claim and in any case the law says you can't drive or four weeks after a stroke. If your doctor clears you then you don't have to inform DVLA, but if they won't clear you to drive after four weeks you have to inform DVLA and take soe sort of test before you are allowed to drive.

Another irritating question was 'How long have you driven a motorhome?' In my case the answer is one year, but the question didn't allow me to add that I drove lorries for ten years.

I think it's an age thing, the close you get to the nursing home, the less tolerant you are of idiots and bureaucracy, because you hate wasting what time you have left. I intend to grow old disgracefully and filling in forms is eating into my time:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thank you was just wondering

Thank you, I was just wondering.. I have never insured via the internet. I took my RV cover out with Safeguard on the telephone... had no issues and I use a wheelchair. Although being an RV and automatic and I have the right leg it does not cause me an issue. Just declared it and that was that. Same with Esure on my two cars.

You may be better telephoning them and explaining the issues to them.

They are first class especially if you need european recovery as that is standard on there policies and has one of the best recovery sections given they do not put miles or cost on the limit.

Bob

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks Bob

I'm planning on ringing them tomorrow as I've said that subject to having a test drive on Wednesday I'll put a holding deposit on until I get paid off t the end of next month. At least that will save me having to look round at the last minute. I would prefer right hand drive, but I think I will struggle at the price I'm looking to pay.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
more RHD drive than left

I'm planning on ringing them tomorrow as I've said that subject to having a test drive on Wednesday I'll put a holding deposit on until I get paid off t the end of next month. At least that will save me having to look round at the last minute. I would prefer right hand drive, but I think I will struggle at the price I'm looking to pay.

Well there are more RHD than left in European motor homes, unless you are in Europe that is.... I drive a left hooker in the UK and have for years.. easy.. switch back to car no issues.. do not ten think about it, the brain just says I am on the other side in this vehicle.. seems to affect the passenger more than the driver.

Good luck tomorrow and wit your hunt for you vehicle

Bob

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Well there are more RHD than left in European motor homes, unless you are in Europe that is.... I drive a left hooker in the UK and have for years.. easy.. switch back to car no issues.. do not ten think about it, the brain just says I am on the other side in this vehicle.. seems to affect the passenger more than the driver.

Good luck tomorrow and wit your hunt for you vehicle

Bob

Agree wholeheartedly with Bob on this one, in fact I prefer LHD they are easy to drive in the UK, don't give it a second thought if you can only find one with this configeration.

One thing I forget to mention about Comfort, they don't operate a No Claims Bonus system so if you only have 1 year on your policy you may find them less than other insurers who operate on a conventional basis.

Mike

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Today I re-insured my older motorhome onlne with Comfort (aviva).. £185 ! and that does NOT include any no claims discount as they dont use that method for quoting.

Was with Safeguard who give me all the breakdown cover etc but that was £355 for renewal and as I have the van up for sale I just needed some basic cover in case of theft and taking people on test drives.
Shop about... You havent got as many choices as with a car but those other quotes seem stupid.... Good Luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back