Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Looked through the site but can't find the answer to this one.

Is the EHU cable connector that plugs into the site electrics the same in France and Spain as it is here in the UK or do I need to buy an adaptor?

Ta!

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Not been to Spain, but in France its some and some. Some use the 3 pin euro plug but others have 2 pins. On some campsites we have used they have both.
Adaptors available at most Caravan/Motorhome Shops.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Get the two pin adaptor as well:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
These two are the most used plugs.

Link Removed

These two together.....the two pin plug and 16amp blue socket with a short piece of cable will most of all you want abroad in France and spain

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Some are the same as the UK...

But a lot are not.. Even here at "Camping Marjal" which is a brand new site they are using the two pin type.. :Doh:

This is what you need (Picture below), plenty on E,bay.. :thumb:

Attachments

• 31bRdU9dIdL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31bRdU9dIdL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 30

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Some are the same as the UK...

But a lot are not.. Even here at "Camping Marjal" which is a brand new site they are using the two pin type.. :Doh:

This is what you need (Picture below), plenty on E,bay.. :thumb:

Correct Mo ...I have just been looking for the Ebay link of one already made up....connect the 16amp blue socket to your existing blue plug and the just plug the two pin into the EHU:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Correct Mo ...I have just been looking for the Ebay link of one already made up....connect the 16amp blue socket to your existing blue plug and the just plug the two pin into the EHU:thumb:

It`s worth purchasing one of these (Below).. as well..

I have been on many site`s.. especially in France that have shown reverse polarity..

Just a matter of swopping the Blue and red wire in your socket..

Not sure if any damage could be done to electronics or on board electrical gear if wrong.. but why take a chance..?

Seen them for about £10 on E,bay.. :thumb: Or the round one on "Amazon" for approx £6.:thumb:

Just plug them into a 13 amp UK socket,, and if all lights light every thing is OK.. but will tell you what is wrong if one is out... if you get what I mean.. :thumb:

Attachments

• MartindaleCP501.jpg
    MartindaleCP501.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 518Av-q0CtL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    518Av-q0CtL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 10

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
worth taking a selection of what is about

We have both the three pin and two pin sort.. plus we carry a mix of various other odds and ends.. as we have auto switch over in case of reverse polarity we do not have to worry about that.. but some also have changed the wires over in the plugs so they cover the issue... we have come across some funny set ups in Andorra and also in various parts of France as well as Spain. Even more fun for the gas (LPG) for the RV's .. remember you need to consider the gas you need while you are away as well.

If I recall Shiftzz posted today that he had an issue on the gas subject and his sausages in the U shaped lounge section.

If it is your first trip to Europe do not forget the highviz jackets, the correct number of warning triangles, etc., etc., etc.,

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It`s worth purchasing one of these (Below).. as well..

I have been on many site`s.. especially in France that have shown reverse polarity..

Just a matter of swopping the Blue and red wire in your socket..

Not sure if any damage could be done to electronics or on board electrical gear if wrong.. but why take a chance..?

Seen them for about £10 on E,bay.. :thumb: Or the round one on "Amazon" for approx £6.:thumb:

Just plug them into a 13 amp UK socket,, and if all lights light every thing is OK.. but will tell you what is wrong if one is out... if you get what I mean.. :thumb:

Mo is correct again and well said Mo. for both items....I would say it could be close to 50/50 on the reverse polarity in France
You could stop at a Aire or a Campsite in France there may be bank of 6 or 12 on a tower one side correct polarity the other side wrong polarity, so what Mo is saying makes good sense ...it does not mean your electrical items won't work in the van..some will....it may mean the power is going to the wrong side of your switch or even bypassing your switch, making your items live when you think they are safe.....some motor homes have a warning on the control panel to let you know you have connected to reversed polarity.

Get yourself a 16amp blue plug and a 16amp blue socket...and with a short piece of 16 amp rated cable connect the two together .... on just one of the items....wire... live...brown to neutral / N...and neutral Blue to live /L ( either on PLUG or SOCKET ) and mark it up and a reversed set of connectors

Last edited:
OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
thang you all for the detailed replies.
off shopping on ebay now...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
thang you all for the detailed replies.
off shopping on ebay now...

Scek.....This what Mo was advising you to get from Ebay... and this is my set up:thumb:

Get one of these blue 16 amp European plugs with a 13 amp trailing socket

Link Removed

Then get one of these polarity testers below and plug it into the above socket and then plug the 16 amp blue European plug into EHU to test if the socket has reversed polarity.

Link Removed

Total ..£11.90........Job done

Link Removed

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
I was at a campsite in France a few years back and there were different prices for 13 amp and 16 amp supplies. So it is worth having a 13amp (2pin) plug if you don't need 16amps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back