Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
LONG POST, DONT READ IF EASILY BORED.

I must be getting payback for a past misdeed. this weekend at newark turned out to be a bit of a bummer. We went shopping and bought a sunroom/wind wotsit from lilypad lesiure, we then (same as Malcom Bolt) went shopping for LED's. Mucho dosh was spent, stuff fitted, satisfaction gained.
Then we had a clear up in case we got visitors:ROFLMAO:.
Saturday morning was the first time we had used the shower , we have previously been on sites and only bought the MH last september. On viewing the MH, we noticed the shower tray was broken, so had a new one fitted prior to purchase. We were a tad pi**ed off, to find it was cracked after just one use:Angry::Angry:.
We contacted the dealer straight away, and he agreed to sort it under warranty.

Now, as I sat down for dinner sat eve, I noticed that the seat edge felt damp, I checked the walll beside it, same thing. Just in case it was cold, I put some kitchen towel there and checkid it in the morning.....it was damp for sure.
As we were at a show and many traders were there, i went out and got an MH/caravan repairer technician to come and doa damp test.
The test showed up that a previous repair (known to me and the dealer) had failed and was letting in water. The reason this had not shown up before was that I had not washed it, but had done so last monday (hose not power washer).

Now, to say we are upset/annoyed/gutted, is an understatement, but we would like some advice.

1) Am, I right in thinking, that we have to allow the dealer to carry out a repair legally, rather than just insist on replacement/money back.

2) If we have to allow a repair, doe the dealer have to do it, or can we have it done elsewhere and ask them to foot the bill.

3) How often and at what intervals, would independant testing of the repair would be reasonable, bearing in mind if it fails some time in the future, we will have a large bill or worthless van.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi DL yes you are right,you have to give dealer chance to fix it :thumb:You have very little or no chance of dealer giving money back, or paying someone else to repair,
Best to keep an eye on the repair yourself. You should/could have annual Habitation check,this should include checking the repair-cost £100 ish from mobile to £150- 200ish from dealers. Sorry to hear your troubles but at least your dealer sounds OK as he has already replaced shower tray and agreed another replacement :thumb:Try telling him to squirt some expanding foam under the next one then sit the try on it and fix into position before it has gone off :winky:
terry
edit be nice to the dealer it will get far better results than pissing him off - which is what he will do to you if not careful hehee

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Listen to Terry on this:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Same advice as above, depending on age of van check that the floor mod has been done.

All shower trays need support underneath them.

Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
snip...

1) Am, I right in thinking, that we have to allow the dealer to carry out a repair legally, rather than just insist on replacement/money back.

2) If we have to allow a repair, doe the dealer have to do it, or can we have it done elsewhere and ask them to foot the bill.

3) How often and at what intervals, would independant testing of the repair would be reasonable, bearing in mind if it fails some time in the future, we will have a large bill or worthless van.

Your advice would be appreciated.

1 Yes you need to give the dealer the opportunity to repair the fault at this stage. If they refuse or the repair fails you can take further steps

2 the dealer can do it in their workshop or choose to farm the warranty work out. As the consumer you cannot get warranty work done without it being authorised by the dealer first.

3 testing of the repair should be at minimum 12 monthly at the habitation service and check. However buying a cheap damp meter for about £10 and keeping a close eye on it yourself would be a very good idea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...net&_osacat=46742&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 as a quick answer

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Thanks for the advice. i had no intention of going in heavy at this stage, I am sure the dealer will stand by his reputation. The shower tray will , i am sure , be an easy repair for a competant fittier, replacement rather than repair.
As for the roof,although despondant at the time, logically, I have remembered that people fit satelitte domes, Haiki rooflights, and other parephenalia, all with little problems and without adding timebombs for future owners, so i am sure a permanent repair is possible.
Motorhome dealers have an added responsibility unfortunatly, due to the fact that in many cases, they are handling a customers life savings,...a heavy burden.

I will keep you posted.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sorry to hear of the issues

Sorry to hear of the issues, not nice when you buy something and issues happen.

You cannot reject the goods at this stage however you do have the protection of the Sale of Goods Act .. fit for purpose. If the repairs are not done .. then you can take it to another garage and have it repaired and then seek the repair costs and reasonable out of pocket expenses from those you purchased it from.

Small claims court actions are simple these days.. as and if you get to that stage let me know and I can advise you.

Do keep a record of all your dealings, time and any expenses.. including telephone calls, fuel to return the vehicle to them collecting it etc.,

Bob .. yes a retired lawyer.:Blush:

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Well, today, i received an email back from the dealers. they offered to carry out all the repairs at their premises (Norflok), and because we are a fair distance away, will reimburse our fuel cost's and supply a courtesy vehcile while the repairs are being done. Its going to be delivered to them on saturday morning, as I,m trying to wangle going to P'boro.
Things are looking good..........so far.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi darklord. sorry to hear about your problems,if you go to peterborough please find us out and you are more than welcome at our HUMBLE ABODE so come round for a drink.steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Will do, just booked so its a goer, see you there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back