LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have bought a 600w inverter from Maplins (£45).
It connects to a battery via two "clamp clips"
I don't want to lift the bonnet and also the battery terminals are not easy to get at.
So, i am thinking of running a lead from the + on the battery and one from the engine block into the m/home (we have a route) and connecting them to two "studs" inside the van that I can clip the inverter to.

Any comments or help please? :Smile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just wondering about the rational for connecting to the engine battery? Our invertor is sat next to our leisure batteries and connected via short lead.I then put a 13amp socket on wall
near the invertor and connected it's 13amp outlet to that.

Mike.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Leisure batteries are under the bonnet at either side Mike.
Engine battery is under the floor.

But I like your system, I could mount the inverter in the engine compartment wired direct to the battery and run a 240v extension from the 3 pin socket on the inverter to a 3 pin socket in the van. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Nothing wrong with that Ken,. Obviously as long as they dont touch each other, but Im sure you know that, and that there somewhere nice and safe so you cant drop some metal between them..

First thoughts, were that it would be great to run from the Cab battery as obviously its charging system is simples. But a word of warning would be, how are you going to ensure you remember to turn your inverter off? or ensure that the drain from the battery is not too much that you can't start your engine?

far better IMO to go via the Hab batteries,will still of course be charged whilst you run the engine.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Leisure batteries are under the bonnet at either side Mike.
Engine battery is under the floor.

But I like your system, I could mount the inverter in the engine compartment wired direct to the battery and run a 240v extension from the 3 pin socket on the inverter to a 3 pin socket in the van. :thumb:

typed whilst I was writing, I do this very thing.^^^^^

Thought you were going to the engine battery :Blush:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
He he just to clear things up. I will be connecting to the leisure batts as i have 2 x 80w solars and would only use the inverter when sunny. It is only to run Steph's little washer when not on hookup. :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just one thought - is the area under the bonnet where you want to instal the inverter sealed from road spray? I don't think inverters like damp.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On reflection I will just mount the inverter in a cupboard and wire it to the leisure batt.

Didn't want to mount it at first but thinking about it it will be the easiest way.

Thanks for comments. :thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ken - did you say a washer? Is there such a beast that draws less than 600 Watts? Suspect there must be no heating element in it if thats the case ! :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
What are you babbling at man​

SIMPLES
Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• 452755.gif
    452755.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 822414.gif
    822414.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 40

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
loads of cold water soap powders around these days so a cold water wash is fine. But it does sound like a good way to flatten your batteries very quickly. Even with solar.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just a couple of points....
make sure you use heavy guage wire between battery and inverter suitable to carry peak current and fuse it accordingly
keep the length of the wire used to a minimum, preferably under 1m but not over about 3m. The longer the cable the greater the resistance and voltage drop
if mounting in a cupboard allow plenty of ventilation to keep the inverter cool and prolong its working life
wherever possible fit a high current isolator in the battery feed, as most inverters draw quite a current on standby, when you think they are off. Alternatively use an anderson type plug and socket so it can be unplugged to save your battery/ies

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
make sure you use heavy guage wire between battery and inverter suitable to carry peak current and fuse it accordingly

Indeed..

this is very important.. and the longer the cable, the larger the cable needs to be to minimise volt drop .. If the cable is too small, it can be very dangerous as the cable will heat up and potentially cause a fire. Undersized cables also waste energy.
Conversely, too large a cable and you are simply wasting your money on good copper.

to illustrate .. and using your example, a 600watt inverter at 12v pulls 50Amps

A 1mt run should have 25mm cable..

A 2mt run should have 35mm cable

A 3mt run should have 50mm cable..

A 4mt run should have 75mm cable

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
If I am telling you how to suck eggs I am sorry I have fitted the same inverter maplin expert informed me to fit a 60 amp fuse close to the battery on the positive lead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back