What could have gone wrong??? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Typical, MH has been sitting on drive hooked up to mains for about 6 weeks, finally get chance to get away for trial run, book two nights from tomorrow about 50 miles away.

Go to put stuff in van tonight and notice blue light flashing on fridge, not 100% certain, but don`t think it was flashing before, open fridge and it does not seem as cold as it had been.

After a bit of investigation, it appears that hook up not working, new 25 metre lead came with van, luckily just purchased a 10 metre, tried that using extension lead, no difference, so it`s not the lead, tried both leads in different sockets in the house too.

Then notice that green light is not lit on switch on charger, also no noise coming from charger.

So, looks like charger has given up, or am I missing something blindingly obvious??

Thanks in advance.

Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
First things first, check the mains breaker hasnt tripped in the van

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the reply.

Is that the box next to the fuses with switches for water pump etc?

If it is there are three small and one larger breaker, all have been switched on and off a few times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with the above.......mains breaker/RCD or MCB circuit breakers in the vans fuse box.

as a quick check to confirm try plugging in a 230v appliance/lamp etc

you may have or had a mouse.....chewed at one or more wires and tripped the breaker.

the charger is just that, a 12v charger, and has no affect on the 230v circuits.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Steve
Not certain of the layout of your van, but generally the circuit breakers are either in the wardrobe or a low down locker, near to where the mains socket enters the van. Pretty similar to what you have in the house, it will be a couple of trip switches and a larger RCD.

Try plugging a lamp or something into a socket to see if any power is present

As your fridge is showing no power, I would say its unlikely to be connected to your mains charger or it failing. Most likely a supply issue and checking the trip switches is always the first point to check

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the reply.

Is that the box next to the fuses with switches for water pump etc?

If it is there are three small and one larger breaker, all have been switched on and off a few times.
switch them off in turn again BUT press each one down before lifting back up to the on position.

some breakers will only reset after pressing down.

if you have a multi meter set it to OHMs or continuity, unplug the hookup lead from the van and house...completely removed from the mains... and put one meter lead to one of the pins in the plug....put the other lead on each of the sockets at the other end in turn and check for continuity.
do this on the other two pins.

if you have continuity on all three wires in turn there's nothing wrong with the lead.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, panic over, turned all breakers switches off and back on and all seems to be working, shortly after could smell burning......

Luckily just the hot plate I had turned on on cooker earlier to see if mains was working and forgotten about.

Thanks for all the fantastically quick and informative replies.

Now if you could arrange for Shropshire to be basking in 30 degrees for the next couple of day that would be great.:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, panic over, turned all breakers switches off and back on and all seems to be working, shortly after could smell burning......

Luckily just the hot plate I had turned on on cooker earlier to see if mains was working and forgotten about.

Now if you could arrange for Shropshire to be basking in 30 degrees for the next couple of day that would be great.:ROFLMAO:
Sorry, not possible....

we've already booked the sun for Eden camp tomorrow, saturday and sunday:Cool:...not enough to go round :roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Glad you are back up and running. The heart sinks when things like this happen but generally easy enough to resolve ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back