Brighton parking on Friday the 13th and Saturday the 14th (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We are going down to Brighton on Friday the 13th of April to support my niece who is doing the Brighton marathon..

The start point is close to the London Road train station..
We will need somewhere within easy pedal power distance of the pier where we can plot up until Sunday afternoon...

Anyone have any suggestions ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
try Seaford

We are going down to Brighton on Friday the 13th of April to support my niece who is doing the Brighton marathon..

The start point is close to the London Road train station..
We will need somewhere within easy pedal power distance of the pier where we can plot up until Sunday afternoon...

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Just down the coast is Seaford.. has a big sea front where motorhomes park up and a good train service along the from there to Lewes and then you can get in to Brighton.. train on the bike..

Brighton it's self is not good...

Bob

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
trains are a bit of a nightmare mate.. We need more freedom of movement than they can offer.. But I will take a gander

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
they are slide doors on that route

trains are a bit of a nightmare mate.. We need more freedom of movement than they can offer.. But I will take a gander

They are slide doors on that route.

Bob p.s you could try Maderia drive .. right on the sea front below the main road near the pier.. used to be able to park there.. not sure these days suggest a call to Brighton Council

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. there is a camp site right there.. three miles away.. woman is not very happy wild camping in Brighton.. Seems it has a very bad rep according to her.
Bet it will cost an arm and a leg though !! ( thats if it aint already booked up )

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
If you see signs for Shoreham do a u-turn and head the other way Shoreham is a sh**hole, WOMAN could be right it is a bit rough round there:thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The caravan club site in brighton is meant to be very good..........near the marina.....good off road cycle path along the front to the pier........a mile perhaps 2 or so.

barry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The caravan club site in brighton is meant to be very good..........near the marina.....good off road cycle path along the front to the pier........a mile perhaps 2 or so.

barry

Yes I have stayed there. Its ok

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that was my beat

Yes I have stayed there. Its ok

When I was in practice my beat was Brighton.. spent half my life in Edward Street nick or the mags court next door. The area where the CC has the site is in an area that has one of the highest crime rates in the area.. lots and lots of my clients came from the White Horse estate.. only good thing not far from the hospital.. Marina near by.. great shopping there, even a chilli store .. I get polish from the marina store. about a couple miles in to the town.

Loads of motorhomes at the sea front in Seaford .. what about Eastbourne.. further out but on the coast and again has a rail line.

Brighton gets real busy at the weekends and Uni's are back ... Sussex (my old haunt) and Brighton.. so many people in town then. Brighton has a good bus service.

Bob

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just foned Sheepcote valley site... We need two pitches and only one of us is a member of the caravan club.. they are not taking non member bookings until Friday so will ring again then..
They could take the member booking ( Darrell ) but could not offer any assurance the non member ( me ) would be able to get in.. Oh well.. we can but try and give folk money !

Typical caravan club behaviour :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just foned Sheepcote valley site... We need two pitches and only one of us is a member of the caravan club.. they are not taking non member bookings until Friday so will ring again then..
They could take the member booking ( Darrell ) but could not offer any assurance the non member ( me ) would be able to get in.. Oh well.. we can but try and give folk money !

Typical caravan club behaviour :Doh:
It may be typical, but from their point of view, the sites are for the benefit of members first. I know that some here think of cc site wardems as being like concentration camp guards, but in my experience they offer far better security especially in sites near cities with high crime rates

We live just down the coast and get the same tv region as Brighton. Regularly on the news with regards to parking problems in summer and vehicles regularly towed away. Really is an absolute no when it comes to wild camping or even parking anywhere near the beach. Would make it cheaper to join the club just for the one stay on a site. Loads more benefits though including discounted insurance and the excellent site guides

Just my opinion mind, you may well think differently

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I know Brighton well, having lived in Hove actually (local joke) until 1999.

It is an absolutely dreadful place to try and park in or near. One of the reasons we moved away being Resident Parking Permits introduced in the late '90's. If there is something going on - like the marathon - forget it.

The sites mentioned above are about your only choice, Seaford is probably your best bet, Sheepcote Valley gets quite a few bad reviews. I know a few wild spots, but they are all uphill from Brighton, and not cycle friendly, and may now be 'off limits'.

Contrary to what has been said earlier, Shoreham - yes - is a sh**hole, but at least you can park there. But don't even think of trying to park in the South Beach area.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I see motorhomes and hippyhomes parked HERE all the time so must be cheap, its not free as you can see the meters:thumb: another place is a bit further along HERE again lots of hippyhomes and a couple of motorhomes park here all the time:thumb: not perfect but free I think:winky:

laws

Free Member
Jan 20, 2010
west mids coseley
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
3years
Best places to stay in brighton

We found out that down by the sea front under the under the arches by the coachs. Close by the eye. Stayed there last year for a week had no problems only a little bit of noises from the pier everything stops at 1am. Tryed a little out of town but had alot of hassle parking.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
As I said ..bad news area

I know Brighton well, having lived in Hove actually (local joke) until 1999.

It is an absolutely dreadful place to try and park in or near. One of the reasons we moved away being Resident Parking Permits introduced in the late '90's. If there is something going on - like the marathon - forget it.

The sites mentioned above are about your only choice, Seaford is probably your best bet, Sheepcote Valley gets quite a few bad reviews. I know a few wild spots, but they are all uphill from Brighton, and not cycle friendly, and may now be 'off limits'.

Contrary to what has been said earlier, Shoreham - yes - is a sh**hole, but at least you can park there. But don't even think of trying to park in the South Beach area.

The local housing estate .. has always been a high crime area.. I had lots of clients from there .. It amazes me that the CC have a site there.. But I am sure they think they are safe..

The area at Seaford is safe, it is down the far end near the Martello Tower .. if you fancy a big hill then the road out of Seaford going towards Alfrestone has a free car park with no height barrier and often see the wild camping by one or two motor homes.. fantastic views over three bays.. but would not fancy trying to bike up the Hill ... but the views on a clear day are to die for.

Brighton is bad news for parking.. I used to park in the police station yard.. as I was on duty at the station or court, but it is worse than Tunbridge wells for getting towed or a ticket. Hove side is not good either.. Shoreham by the Sea is better, but a bit run down..

Bob

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Brighton Parking

:Cool:Along coast Road A259 from Brighton towards Rottingdean/Saltdean. Go through the lights at Rottingdean, half mile on the left you will see the Lido, an outdoor swimming pool. At rear of complex two choices! Huge public car park (free) adjacent to pub . . . excellent carvery for £3.89. Or gravel car park over the road which will take a Motorhome. Ask for the subway which leads to the promenade which is just 100 yards from either car park. You will have a pleasant 30 minute virtually flat promenade ride to Brighton. A bit fiddely around the Marina but pretty obvious! Enjoy!

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Was at Sheepcote couple weeks ago, not a bad site, seemed secure enough, on the road in there was half dozen mh's parked up all weekend so if you want a freebie, that's the road leading to Sheepcote cc.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
:Cool:Along coast Road A259 from Brighton towards Rottingdean/Saltdean. Go through the lights at Rottingdean, half mile on the left you will see the Lido, an outdoor swimming pool. At rear of complex two choices! Huge public car park (free) adjacent to pub . . . excellent carvery for £3.89. Or gravel car park over the road which will take a Motorhome. Ask for the subway which leads to the promenade which is just 100 yards from either car park. You will have a pleasant 30 minute virtually flat promenade ride to Brighton. A bit fiddely around the Marina but pretty obvious! Enjoy!

Forgot about that - good call.....:thumb:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I was going to have had a look at parking down Brighton as I was entered into the marathon. We were going to stay at Lewes and take the train in as there are extra trains being put on that weekend.
Unfortunately a grade 3 tear/rupture of the calf muscle has put me out til next year.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Damn .. that is bloody painful :-(

Well we have decided to try and get in to Sheepcote and just use the push bikes..
My sister, hubby and my niece who is running have rented an apartment for the weekend somewhere in Hove, so providing we can get in ok all should be well..

Cheers to one and all for helping and advising.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back