Wireless printing to non-wireless printers (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having sold our business we decided we no longer needed to have a dedicated office and desktop PCs so would use laptops instead, giving the freedom to be used in any part of the house using the existing WiFi.

Part way through the planning it struck me that lack of desktops would mean printers would have nothing to be permanently plugged into via USB. Thinking that might mean buying a wireless printer or two I started to look round the web and came up with Link Removed, a USB hub which connects to a network port via cable but is accessible by PCs connected either by cable or WiFi and a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing printers.

To date I've only used it with two printers (HP Laserjet & Canon inkjet), rather than connecting any disk drives or other USB device, but it works brilliantly.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sound like a cheaper version of the Apple

Sounds like a cheaper version of the Apple Airport Extreme hub... but allowing wires to be used part way.

looks good.

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sounds like [HI]a cheaper version[/HI] of the Apple Airport Extreme hub... but allowing wires to be used part way.

looks good.

Bob

Words and the meanings they convey!

In this case, referring to a non Apple product, I prefer the words "less expensive version" to "cheaper version"... :winky:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
A MUCH cheaper version, airport is £139! But does come in a designer case. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Having sold our business we decided we no longer needed to have a dedicated office and desktop PCs so would use laptops instead, giving the freedom to be used in any part of the house using the existing WiFi.

Part way through the planning it struck me that lack of desktops would mean printers would have nothing to be permanently plugged into via USB. Thinking that might mean buying a wireless printer or two I started to look round the web and came up with Link Removed, a USB hub which connects to a network port via cable but is accessible by PCs connected either by cable or WiFi and a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing printers.

To date I've only used it with two printers (HP Laserjet & Canon inkjet), rather than connecting any disk drives or other USB device, but it works brilliantly.

Hmm...that could be useful....and this stuff is so cheap nowadays :thumb:

There's no wi-fi capability built into this though is there? You're hooking it up to an existing base station via ethernet?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Airport Extreme is more

A MUCH cheaper version, airport is £139! But does come in a designer case. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Apple Airport Extreme is more than that.. but it does what it says on the tin.. I have now wider range than I did before and it works for all my wireless equipment ..

But I do think this Maplin item seems a good thing.

Bob

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Bob I bought a wireless printer from PC World, £29.99 works fine and the refills are cheaper than most other makes. It connects to both my PC and lappy via the "3" MIFI.

I didn't realise that the Maplins bit of kit wasn't WiFi,:Doh: so not comparable to the Airport.

Ian

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
lots of cheap printers out there

Hi Bob I bought a wireless printer from PC World, £29.99 works fine and the refills are cheaper than most other makes. It connects to both my PC and lappy via the "3" MIFI.

I didn't realise that the Maplins bit of kit wasn't WiFi,:Doh: so not comparable to the Airport.

Ian

Ian there is a lot of wifi cheap printers out there.. the ink is the issue.. I have an HP and also a Kodak wifi and a USB on a brother... I these days then to use the wifi printing from anywhere in the house.. it is so easy to use..as wit printers can be cheap, I do not see the why a fixed unit is needed:Sad: While I can see the advantage of the Maplin item.. for the same price you can get a wifi or duel type (Kodak is duel) HP is only wifi.

Staples seem to get some good offers as well.

Bob

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The reason the hub works for me is that we already have a duplex laser printer and an inkjet capable of printing CDs/DVDs, both facilities we often use. Cheap printers don't offer those facilities. New printers would cost a lot more than the hub.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

That was going to be my next post....people were comparing apples to oranges :Smile:

The reason the hub works for me is that we already have a duplex laser printer and an inkjet capable of printing CDs/DVDs, both facilities we often use. Cheap printers don't offer those facilities. New printers would cost a lot more than the hub.

Similar reason why I might get one of these eventually. I have no plans on chucking away my old B&W LaserJet for a while.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Those with Windows7 will probably know this, but just in case you don't, if you have a printer connected to just one PC .. you can share using Homeshare .. works well.
We've been sharing printers connected to a single PC over the network for a number of years under various Windows versions. The common factor, though, is that the host PC has to be switched on. I assume that is the same with Windows 7 - never had the occasion to try it :Smile:

With the hub you are independent of any PC, simply acquiring and releasing the printer as needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back