How to shorten satellite cable???????? (1 Viewer)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When our Camos satellite dome was fitted all the excess cable was coiled up and strapped to the roof, now all the leaves and other crud get caught in it. So I would like to tidy it by cutting out a section to make it shorter.

My problem is that I believe it is more than just a coax cable and includes data cables as well.

Can anyone please advise how I could rejoin the cable to keep water out and without affecting reception.

Brian

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes simple! As it is a poor installation fault, go back to the installer and tell them to tidy it up!

Coiled cables on the roof! Sounds horrible.

Eddie

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes simple! As it is a poor installation fault, go back to the installer and tell them to tidy it up!

Coiled cables on the roof! Sounds horrible.

Eddie

Yes thanks Eddie but I'm trying to avoid a 150 mile trip so do you reckon I can shorten it?

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you do it may affect efficiency.....

joining co-ax is easy with an inline coupler but if it does have other wires incorporated it could be a problem.

can you pull the excess inside and coil it back up in a corner of a locker etc ?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Brian, I'd call who ever installed it and have a chat, if nothing else confirm whether it's just coax, simple to sort or more complicated, and raise the issue of untidy workmanship?

By the by, I guess you've got the van back from the rear end replacment?

If you have, how'd it go?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
While in the first instance I agree with Eddie, a shoddy job the answer is simple. As its a Camos dome you can simply shorten the coax as that is all it is, the motor drive power and signalling is done up the same wire as the satellite signal is fed down to the controller. If you need advice on how to shorten coax then I'd respectfully suggest you get someone else to do it.

D.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
While in the first instance I agree with Eddie, a shoddy job the answer is simple. As its a Camos dome you can simply shorten the coax as that is all it is, the motor drive power and signalling is done up the same wire as the satellite signal is fed down to the controller. If you need advice on how to shorten coax then I'd respectfully suggest you get someone else to do it. D.

LOL I know what you mean with some of the questions asked.

Don't forget the MK 1 Camos's and the in motion have a data cable as well as RF!

Eddie

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Brian if you can hang on till I am at home will nip up and do it for you:winky::thumb:

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
if you do it may affect efficiency.....

joining co-ax is easy with an inline coupler but if it does have other wires incorporated it could be a problem.

can you pull the excess inside and coil it back up in a corner of a locker etc ?

Thanks John, while I'm happy to cut & join coax I'm pretty certain there are data cables involved as well so dragging it all inside is probably the right answer. Brian

Brian, I'd call who ever installed it and have a chat, if nothing else confirm whether it's just coax, simple to sort or more complicated, and raise the issue of untidy workmanship?

By the by, I guess you've got the van back from the rear end replacment?

If you have, how'd it go?

Hiya Si, I think I shall just pull it all inside as it seems the easiest solution.

Yes thanks we got the van back from Swift last month after they had it for a couple of weeks. During which time they made a good job of the repair and also did a few other jobs and paid all expenses including hotels so we are happy bunnies. Brian

While in the first instance I agree with Eddie, a shoddy job the answer is simple. As its a Camos dome you can simply shorten the coax as that is all it is, the motor drive power and signalling is done up the same wire as the satellite signal is fed down to the controller. If you need advice on how to shorten coax then I'd respectfully suggest you get someone else to do it.

D.

Thank you Dave, I am quite capable of dealing with standard coax, my query is if there are separate data feeds within the cable. Brian

LOL I know what you mean with some of the questions asked.

Don't forget the MK 1 Camos's and the in motion have a data cable as well as RF!

Eddie

Eddie, I don't know if my Camos is a Mk1 or not, according but according to the manual it is a CSA1400P. Brian
Brian if you can hang on till I am at home will nip up and do it for you:winky::thumb:

Thank you so much John for your kind offer but I reckon you will be far too busy keeping up your Maroc suntan :ROFLMAO: Brian

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to infer you were not capable but if you look at it from my point of view I don't know you or what your capabilities are hence my comment about if you have to ask how to shorten coax you should get someone who knows what they're doing. My apologies if it came over as rude or suggesting you were any less than competent, that was not my intention.:winky:

D.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to infer you were not capable but if you look at it from my point of view I don't know you or what your capabilities are hence my comment about if you have to ask how to shorten coax you should get someone who knows what they're doing. My apologies if it came over as rude or suggesting you were any less than competent, that was not my intention.:winky:

D.

Cheers Dave but really no apology necessary, no offence taken.........thanks for your input:thumb: Brian

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie, I don't know if my Camos is a Mk1 or not, according but according to the manual it is a CSA1400P. Brian

Simple, look on the roof if you have one wire plugged in you have a cable you can shorten. If you have more, move the excess inside and coil

Don't thank me you can give me a beer at Peterborough :winky:

Cheers

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back