Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I am wrestling with problems around the Warranty of my Van. I purchased the vehicle privately when it was 14 months old. I paid Autocruise as it was £25 to have the warranty changed over. The previous owner purchased the vehicle from Brownhills whom I also contacted to ask if there would be any problems with the continuation with the warranty where I was informed there would not as long as they carried out the yearly habitation service and Van service.
Recently I have had a problem with the Motiques on my Van slowly bubbling and looking a right mess and so I contacted both Brownhills and Autocruise ( now Swift ) Although Autocruise may not have come back with the answer I would have wished to hear at least within 48 hours there was contact. Brownhills in the meantime have only responded when I have chased them with the reply we are awaiting a reply, from whom?, this has been now some 6 weeks.
Now Brownhills do not what you might call have a glowing reputation for customer service with lots of customers and so when today I rang to sort out my second year servicing when told the Habitation check would cost £215 + VAT and we only do servicing on Fiat Vans not Peugeot I started to wonder if I was going to be wasting my money. First I am told they need to do both services for me to keep my warranty, the Habitation charge I think extortionate and then they do not service Peugeot Vans.
Unless somebody knows different why do I have to take my Van to Brownhills at all to comply with the warranty as long as the services are carried out by VAT registered companies using genuine parts. If I am right can anybody recommend any Dealers withing 50 miles or so of Staffordshire.:thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

The habitation service can be carried out by any authorised service provider and the van - engine - service bt any VAT registered garage.

Sits waiting to be shot downin flames by those who have better knowledge than me.

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Don't think it is me thinking Brownhills are rather expensive just been given another Dealership but some distance away charging over £100 less. I have estimated that if I don't shop around the yearly services will cost around £480 before they find anything wrong.:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Brownhills always charge premium prices for their services. However, if you search for browhills you will see some of the comments regarding the quality of said services. I paid £150 for a habitation service at the dealer I bought my Carioca off of. The engine service was done by a local garage for £130 + VAT. Would I trust Browhills? Going by the comment on here and the Darkside, I very much doubt it!

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All dealers are the same!
The extended warranty is a gimmick that traps you to their prices!
My mum had the same trouble with her car!
A full service at a dealers cost £390
I bought the complete service parts including oil for £17 at Partco!
And that was a car with points and condenser!
Todays motors have very little to change!
If its diesel there is only a fuel filter, air filter, oil filter and engine oil!
£30 at the most + 3 hours labour to give everything a good checking over!
Squirt a bit of oil on the door hinges and bobs your uncle!
I would ditch the dealer and find a good mechanic!

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Brownhills always charge premium prices for their services. However, if you search for browhills you will see some of the comments regarding the quality of said services. I paid £150 for a habitation service at the dealer I bought my Carioca off of. The engine service was done by a local garage for £130 + VAT. Would I trust Browhills? Going by the comment on here and the Darkside, I very much doubt it!

As iv said before i would not touch Brownhills will a barge poll ,with all the trouble weve had with them ,but having said that we had to get in touch with Lunar to talk to Brownhills on our behalf ,because no one will talk to you ,it does'nt matter what time or day you ring the person you need to talk to is'nt there,and you can take your van to any v.a.t reg garage to carry out your service although im not sure about the habitat ,but you could try Don Amotts as they carried out a inspection for us as we did'nt want to go back to Brownhills.

Betty

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for the replies now the next part I take my Van where I want for it's next services 2 months later water ingress. My warranty is with Brownhills who tell me to get lost you did not have the van serviced with us.:Eeek:

PS nice to have a thread not involving bloody RV's:ROFLMAO:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Hi Sweet Chariot
I'd suggest contacting trading standards (local or on-line) about any restrictive conditions on the warranty.

Just to add our first annual checks to the comparisons:
Local dealer hab check less than £100 inc vat. They were listed by Swifts ... talk to Kath or one of the customer service team.

Fiat Service...Brownhills were almost £100 cheaper than the local Fiat dealer... as they say across the big pond... go figure...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi,
Firstly the information given regarding validation of warranty is correct. Certainly regarding the base. There is a garage in Kidsgrove E &M commercial repairs on liverpool rd whom does MH mot's. A good mechanic and very reasonable in terms of servicing price. As long as genuine parts are used your Warranty remains good.

As for th econversion. If the warranty is one of Brownhills own they may sipulate that you use them. How old is the van? If the warranty is from the converter which if nearly new it should be, then you can once again use any VAT registered mtorhome shop to service it for you. Leisure sales in Sandbach are ok as are spinneys. But like Brownhills both charge a premium but may be cheaper.

Hope this helps.
Paul

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Haganap
Thanks for the info, Spinney will only carry out warranty work on Vans they have sold.Kidsgrove I will give a ring.My Habitation warranty is a bit confusing.As you are probably aware Autocruise went into Receivership and Swift took them over. The week before I had paid £25 to have the warranty in my name having purchased the van private.The original owner had purchased the van from Brownhills in May 2006. I contacted them regarding the Habitation warranty and they stated they would honour it as long as they did the service.If this was a car I would be able to take it to any related Dealer for warranty work it appears a little captive with Motorhomes.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Haganap
Thanks for the info, Spinney will only carry out warranty work on Vans they have sold.Kidsgrove I will give a ring.My Habitation warranty is a bit confusing.As you are probably aware Autocruise went into Receivership and Swift took them over. The week before I had paid £25 to have the warranty in my name having purchased the van private.The original owner had purchased the van from Brownhills in May 2006. I contacted them regarding the Habitation warranty and they stated they would honour it as long as they did the service.If this was a car I would be able to take it to any related Dealer for warranty work it appears a little captive with Motorhomes.

Hi,

Regretably as Autocruise went bust and Swift then took them over excluding any liabilities, it looks like the rest of the habitation warranty is invalid.

The mechanical chassis/cab warranty should still be in place.

Unfortunately as you did not actualy buy the MH from Brownhills, they do not have any liability, not that I am sticking up for them in any way or condone their attitude.

Sorry.

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Peter
Probably me not making my self clear, Swift have honored my £25 change over of ownership and Brownhills state they will also honour the warranty. My point was they charge an extortionate amount for the habitation check £215 + VAT and already over a warranty problem they simply ignore you so I have no faith in them carrying out any work and so I wanted to take it elsewhere.:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Peter
Probably me not making my self clear, Swift have honored my £25 change over of ownership and Brownhills state they will also honour the warranty. My point was they charge an extortionate amount for the habitation check £215 + VAT and already over a warranty problem they simply ignore you so I have no faith in them carrying out any work and so I wanted to take it elsewhere.:Sad:

Hi Sweet,

Sounds like one for Kath at Swift, I am sure she will respond, but in all fairness, Swift did not take over any liabilities, (dont blame you as regards B********)

If you have a valid Swift warranty, drive down to us, we charge £99 for habitaion and £135 for mechanical plus VAT and parts.

As far as distance is concerned Glenn, our service manager has customers driving down from Cumbria for habitations and mechanicals.

Regards

Peter

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for that Digger but why should they wish to become involved.:thumb:
I was relating to things like water ingress!
It should be covered by your insurance and if they can get out of paying for repairs they will!
As for your warranty i would contact Consumer Direct!
Link Removed
They can advise you of your rights!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Haganap

That surprises me about spinneys as they offered to carry out warranty work for my self a while ago. Maybe it has to be a swift dealer that carries out the actual work. However it surely does not mean that you can not have your van serviced by another dealer? Worth checking out,

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Rang Spinney Motorhomes Habitation charge £152.75 not to bad for a large dealer. Explained my warranty issues but stated they only do warranty work on Vans they sell. When I mentioned Brownhills politely suggested I be careful spending any money with them.:Eeek:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Sorry SC, some thoughts and questions from an RV owner :ROFLMAO:
1. Did Swift honour the change of warranty that you paid (someone) £25 to change?
2. How old is the base chassis and is it covered by the manufacturers (Peugeot) warranty?
If the answer to the above is yes then why bother with fighting Brownhills? I think you will find that you can, as already advised, have the routine servicing carried out by any reputable organisation, whether they are a dealer or not. Any warranty work would clearly need to be carried out by an authorised dealer of the marque (Peugeot or Swift) in order that the job was completed to the same specification as the original build.
Personally I believe that the offer that you have been made from John above is superb and as it is only slightly more expensive than Brownhills quote to carry out just the habitation check, I think it is worthy of serious consideration. I cannot understand why you should be concerned about taking your MH to Brownhills if you do not like the way they work or the prices that they charge, they gave you a quote and you intend to reject it? Just give Johns shop a call and book your MH in, sorted :thumb:
I hope this helps

Keith

Ps Pity you don't cover RVs for that price John, ever thought about it matey? :thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Sweet Chariot,

Can I recommend a Swift Dealer on your doorstep who does mine for less than £100 even though I did not buy the van from them, but bought it new on the South Coast as I could not get on with Sales staff at Cannock or Newark Depots of a large Dealer.:winky:
Company is Moorland Leisure, Leek Road, S-O-T 01782 538853 ask for Les in charge of the workshops who is extremely helpful.

David

PS. Johns Cross, I don't mean to knock your posting, but am just thinking of mileage involved.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sweet Chariot,

Can I recommend a Swift Dealer on your doorstep who does mine for less than £100 even though I did not buy the van from them, but bought it new on the South Coast as I could not get on with Sales staff at Cannock or Newark Depots of a large Dealer.:winky:
Company is Moorland Leisure, Leek Road, S-O-T 01782 538853 ask for Les in charge of the workshops who is extremely helpful.

David

PS. Johns Cross, I don't mean to knock your posting, but am just thinking of mileage involved.

yes forgot about them. Brought a caravan from there years ago. were very helpful and quite decent.
as for the long journey to john cross. I would, I would fit it in with a weekend away and kill two birds with one stone

R

revbj

Deleted User
Warranty..

You are all so right. Got my new Barrons (elddis) Firestorm last Feb. Now they want £200 for habitation service,each year or the warranty is null and void. I am narked that this was not mentioned when we got the van, just that it had 3 years guarantee and six years water ingress guarantee I am seriously wondering why cant I just use my local Caravan/Motorhome agent (Not elddis approved) and then rely on normal trading standards etc.

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Sweet Chariot,

David

How so right you were took my Van there today at 9am collected it at 2pm. Very polite and helpful, cost £85 for the Habitation check.::bigsmile: Have stated they would be pleased to service more Motorhomes.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well done, now you have found a good dealer near you and everyone else up your neck of the woods knows where to go.:thumb:

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back