Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
Hi we have a new 2012 tribute 725 motorhome with a wind out awning omnistor and we wou,d like either sides for this to make more of a room or an alternative? I have loomed at whT I think is right to make a safari room with the right sides etc but we are looming at around £5-£600 or more.

Can anyone recommend awning sides for us that would be compatable or perhaps a drive away awning that will fit.

It seems such a waste having a drive away awning when we have one that will do just fine but needs sides etc to make it a complete room.

We are new to motor homing so don't want to waste a lot of money but want the right thing to suit us. I am fairly good at the Internet etc but searching awnings seems a minefield! ::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware that some awnings are made for caravans and not motorhomes where the height of the wind out awning is usually higher.
After making do with a cheaper standard version we have just bought one of these for our Autotrail...

http://campershop.co.uk/drive-away-motorhome-awnings/38-kampa-motor-rally-390-motorhome-awning.html

Only had it a few weeks and had several people comment on its quality and the fact it easily fits to higher vehicles. If you do decide on one of these I recomend you also buy 3 x monsoon bars (£5 each) and the rear support poles. £20 a pair.

OP
OP
G

Gaynor369

Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
Be aware that some awnings are made for caravans and not motorhomes where the height of the wind out awning is usually higher.
After making do with a cheaper standard version we have just bought one of these for our Autotrail...

http://campershop.co.uk/drive-away-motorhome-awnings/38-kampa-motor-rally-390-motorhome-awning.html

Only had it a few weeks and had several people comment on its quality and the fact it easily fits to higher vehicles. If you do decide on one of these I recomend you also buy 3 x monsoon bars (£5 each) and the rear support poles. £20 a pair.

Is that suitable for the wind out awning as well or is it just a drive away version?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is that suitable for the wind out awning as well or is it just a drive away version?

Its not a driveaway, You wind out the Omnistor awning on your Autotrail, in the front long rail is a "u" channel that the Motor Rally slides into. Then wind the Omnistor back into the recessed position. So the Awning fits flush against the van.
Several of us have them here at the rally in Marjal, Spain. and others have commented how good they look.. There are similar versions BUT they are short in height.. We had one and sold it very recently and replaced with this model after seeing other Funster members using one..

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Unless you intend to stay in one place for several days at a time an awning can be a
very expensive mistake to purchase.
They are heavy when packed up at least 20kg, bulky to carry around with you,and not
use. We inherited one with our van and have never even used it once in three years
we have however used the wind out as a sun canopy on our travels in Europe, but even
that I can count on one hand the number of times. They are also not as easy to erect as
you think,they take time to erect and take down, and when they get wet, they need drying before you pack them or you have to unpack them again later to dry,or they will rot.

Use your van for sometime without one and see then if you really want the expense.
Sorry if Iv'e sounded negative just think you should know the down's as well as the up's.

However enjoy your new van
regards
Steve:thumb:

OP
OP
G

Gaynor369

Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
Unless you intend to stay in one place for several days at a time an awning can be a
very expensive mistake to purchase.
They are heavy when packed up at least 20kg, bulky to carry around with you,and not
use. We inherited one with our van and have never even used it once in three years
we have however used the wind out as a sun canopy on our travels in Europe, but even
that I can count on one hand the number of times. They are also not as easy to erect as
you think,they take time to erect and take down, and when they get wet, they need drying before you pack them or you have to unpack them again later to dry,or they will rot.

Use your van for sometime without one and see then if you really want the expense.
Sorry if Iv'e sounded negative just think you should know the down's as well as the up's.

However enjoy your new van
regards
Steve:thumb:

I guess so, I think the only reason is really a little extra space to offload shoes etc and a feeling of being able to open the door without being totally exposed to the world. Waiting and seeing is not one of my fortes and needs practice lol

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Spannerman makes some valid points and it does depend on how you use your van and the facilities you want. I have "been there, done that" with various awnings.
The safari rooms that are made to suit the wind out awnings tend to be heavy, bulky and take more time to erect. But if your staying for a very long time in one place or in poor weather they are better. Plus the most expensive.

The cheaper arcylic awnings similar to something like a sunnkamp 390 are not designed to fit a motorhome, they will work but can leave gaps at the bottom as especially on an Autotrail they are at max height. very light and lower cost.

The Kampa version I mentioned is the best we found and no other manufacturer seems to do one to compete. The weight on this is around 26kg with poles.

We still use our windout Omnistor awning on its own and we also have some Lillypad sun shades that we use. It all depends on location and weather.

Maybe before a rush purchase go wonder around the pitched vans at one of the shows and look at what people are using. Could give you a better understanding of whats available..
Good hunting....

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I am in the same situation but with a large dog to consider, so for anything but a overnight stop, pretty sure I will want something.

As I have a tag with over 5Mtr canopy, was thinking if i am going to have to put something up, might as well spend the extra time and have as much space as possible, so was condiering the Fiamma 550 privacy room (biggest they do I think), but with all the bits and pieces incl skirt for along the van it is nearly £800.

We have outside BBQ and TV points, so when on site for 3+ days will probably spend more time in it than in the van (at least whilst awake).

Can you add an extra section into something like this, or is it `as it comes`?

Thanks

Steve

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
I guess so, I think the only reason is really a little extra space to offload shoes etc and a feeling of being able to open the door without being totally exposed to the world. Waiting and seeing is not one of my fortes and needs practice lol.

Shoes not allowed in our van, removed at door small brush kept at each door for the purpose of brushing off soles, that way no dog doo-doo,chewing gum or any other crap gets walked into van.shoes then sit at door entrance on rubber mat.May seem we are being faddy but saves lots of cleaning up in van.Slip on shoes worn inside van.:thumb:

Encantador
I am in the same situation but with a large dog to consider, so for anything but a overnight stop, pretty sure I will want something.

perhaps small pop up tent may be the answer for your dog.:thumb:

Regards
Steve

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I am one of the wait and see advocates, used to always use awnings when caravanning but have never used or wanted one motorhoming, never still in one place long enough, at most 2days and don't see the fun in putting one up for so short a time. We travel with 2 dogs and not a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back