Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
1993 Brave
Exp
15 years
Hello from a new member. Has anyone got a 1993 Winnebago Brave please. I'd like to speak to one to find out what certain switches do, and what parts look like, and where they can be found, and how they work. And even more important, what NOT to do. Many thanks in anticipation, Bib .

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi, welcome.... :thumb:

I don't know that van. But....

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you,

Cheers

Callum

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one or two members do have winnibagels but you may have more response on our other forum.......RVOC.......purely an American RV website.

not as active as fun but you're sure to get some replies soon.

click HERE for the RVOC

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hello from a new member. Has anyone got a 1993 Winnebago Brave please. I'd like to speak to one to find out what certain switches do, and what parts look like, and where they can be found, and how they work. And even more important, what NOT to do. Many thanks in anticipation, Bib .

Hi :welcomefunster:

I know that Si & Sarah (Dodgey) have a Winnie Brave although I dont know what year but you should pm him as he would probably be able to help you.

Brian

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
last look on a Sunday night

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: love it..

I guess Bob hasn't read this yet , bound to get him slobbering .. :roflmto:

Last look Jim on a Sunday night before I hit the sack.....

slobber..slobber and slobber...

Hi and welcome.. yes as you can gather I have a Winnebago.. often referred to her as a Winnebagel etc., Dodgey (si) has a Brave, not as old as your one. but yes if you check out with RVOC someone may be able to help you.

I myself have a 2005 Winnebago Aspect - B class on the E350 Ford Super Duty chassis. Winnebago does have a very good on library you can access on line and you may find some info there. Plus there is a strong Winnebago owners club in the USA.. you can still get parts for many of the models from a company just down the road from the factory ...

In the UK we tend to get RV parts from a few companies .. www.starspangledspanner.co.uk

run by Duncan up in the Lincoln area, he is at a few shows each year and is a member of RVOC.. if he does not have parts in stock he can get them.. or Darren and Martin.. find them on Ebay under American RV Motorhome (search) hundreds of parts .. look for RV spares.. based in Cheltenham .. he can get items in at a reasonable price.

What sort of engine have you? V8? Petrol? on what chassis ..Dodge? Ford? they are very basic vehicles and many or the earlier parts have lived on over the years.. Anyway.. if you need more info p.m. me.... buy the way £10 subscription on this site is worth it's weight in gold.. so much help and info and fantastic members.

Bob

Welcome by the way.. Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi, yup we've got a '95, some bits similar/same I suspect, and I know we have a few others about with 93s.

Post a pic of the switches you want identified and I'm sure 'we' can help::bigsmile:

Things not to do, worry about those being rude about Winnebagos, they're only jelous::bigsmile::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bib

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
1993 Brave
Exp
15 years
Hello there, nice to hear from you. Not only am I a newcomer to Winnebagos, I am also a newcomer to the Internet. I tried but failed, to send you a pic of a switch I am not sure of its purpose. It was to the left side when I collected the 'van but the seller said to turn it to the right to switch the Onan on. Don't know whether he meant 'leave it here while the Onan is on as it controls the electrics and lets you use mains equipment' or 'once you've switched the Onan on turn it back to the left position'. I am afraid to fiddle with things in case I do something wrong and mess up the whole system. This switch is under the cooker by a metal grille, and has what looks like a circuit breaker by the side of it. Maybe if you sent me your normal email address, a pic would get through to you. Mine is a 31' by the way. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Ah, that sounds like a change over switch between genni and EHU, part of the UK conversion, someone, can't remember who was talking about this setup recently. Ours is somewhat simpler, we have to unplug the ehu lead from the genni output to plu into EHU, ie no switch.

At a guess if it's marked Onan in one possition that would be for running the genni and the other for hookup, ie where the 230 volt source is from, genni or EHU?

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sounds as if you are right Si

Ah, that sounds like a change over switch between genni and EHU, part of the UK conversion, someone, can't remember who was talking about this setup recently. Ours is somewhat simpler, we have to unplug the ehu lead from the genni output to plu into EHU, ie no switch.

At a guess if it's marked Onan in one possition that would be for running the genni and the other for hookup, ie where the 230 volt source is from, genni or EHU?

THat is what we have in our Winnebago.. it is a transfer switch.. we turn it to the old 110v for the genny and back when we are on mains hook up... simple to check it out.. see if the fridge comes on when you run the genny with the switch to the genny position.... kill the genny and see if the fridge goes off then do it the other way round with the mains hook up. Just have to remember to switch it back.. caught us out a few times.

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bib

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
1993 Brave
Exp
15 years
Hello there, just went out to the camper to check. Now bear in mind I only understand words of one syllable. When the switch is to the right, I can start the genny? While the genny is running, do I keep the switch to the right? Will this mean the tv and the fridge will work? And I can plug my curling tongs and laptop into the 3pin UK sockets? When I switch off the genny do I turn the switch back to the left? What items will work on this position? If I plug in shoreline, which way should the switch go, left or right? Do the 12v items eg ceiling lights, taps, water pump etc work when the dashboard switch is switched 'on', no matter if the other switch is right or left?? I think I have exhausted you by now, so will shut up. For now! Many, many thanks, I have learned more from the helpful Forum members, than from anyone else, the Seller included.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Hi again - try and keep it simple as I can

Hello there, just went out to the camper to check. Now bear in mind I only understand words of one syllable. When the switch is to the right, I can start the genny? While the genny is running, do I keep the switch to the right? Will this mean the tv and the fridge will work? And I can plug my curling tongs and laptop into the 3pin UK sockets? When I switch off the genny do I turn the switch back to the left? What items will work on this position? If I plug in shoreline, which way should the switch go, left or right? Do the 12v items eg ceiling lights, taps, water pump etc work when the dashboard switch is switched 'on', no matter if the other switch is right or left?? I think I have exhausted you by now, so will shut up. For now! Many, many thanks, I have learned more from the helpful Forum members, than from anyone else, the Seller included.

I will try and keep it as simple as I can... forgive me if I say anything you already know.

If you want more info after .. p.m. and I will give you my email address and phone number...

The RV (as all American RV's are) has 110v as the operating power.. so the Genny would push out 110v .. a transformer is in place to allow 220/230v to run.. but the fridge if original and the micro wave will be 110v.

When the switch is turned to the right i.e to allow the 110v (genny power to flow) to the 220/230 sockets you need to leave it in that position while the genny is running and you are using the appliances.

When you turn the genny off turn the switch to the left so it is back on shore power i.e 220/230v via a lead to the house mains or site mains.

Some RV;s have an inverter fitted.. this allows you to draw 220/230v from the batteries (house batteries) not all RV's have it, or it can be small like 400watts... I have a 1500watt Sterling fitted in my Winnebago as an after market unit fitted in the UK....

You need to check what works when you have the genny running.. i.e the air conditioner should, but do not run the air conditioner and microwave at the same time.. (I presume you have a 4kw Onian Genny? the microwave and the aircon together is to much draw. But you can have the fridge on (should automatically switch over from LPG to 110v (via the transformer).. then turn the switch over (having turned the genny off) and then check the same.. make sure you disconnect the shore power lead while you are on genny to be safe.. they should be OK, but until you are sure it is better to disconnect the power lead while checking things out.

A lot of winnebago's have a power feed back from the engine alternator (normally 140 amps .. massive) and that feeds excess back to the domestic batteries after the engine batter is charged. You should have an emergency engine start that if the engine battery is dead.. you hold in and turn the key to take power from the domestic battery to the engine. Some do and so do not send power from the domestic to the engine battery, depends on the set up put in when converted over here in the UK.

Worth noting these is normally a trip switch on the transform.. check it out, you may need to reset it some time.. also have a look and see if the transform is a Yellow site type.. if it is bad news.. most transformers are silver and made for the job, but it has been known for site transformers to be fitted.

Anyway hope this helps.. but do p.m. me and if you need to ask questions, often the telephone is the fastest way.. do not worry used to it.

Regards

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bib

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
1993 Brave
Exp
15 years
Hello Bob, many thanks again for explaining things. Yes, there IS an inverter, in the bedroom and under an empty tv shelf. I would have to go back to the camper to see what model and rating it is. I'm not sure but I don't think it is yellow....but watch this space! One more thing, where would this transform thing you mention, be situated? Nothing works at all at the moment, no 12v and no genny powered-stuff. All dead as a doornail, but the batteries are 50/75% full. I am waiting for a fitter to come out, he muttered something about Solenoids. Would love to have your phone number or email address not to keep filling up the pages on the Forum, and just to say hello to you and thank you properly.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The RV (as all American RV's are) has 110v as the operating power.. so the Genny would push out 110v .. a transformer is in place to allow 220/230v to run.. but the fridge if original and the micro wave will be 110v.

Bob

Carfull here folks, some RV genni's are still 110 but also many get 'adjusted' to run at 230, ours is. Alot depends on who imported the RV and when, alot of these Braves came direct from the States new so some items may be 230 and some 110, I don't think they made any all 230, some other manufacturers did.
On the dash there will usually be a switch (connected to a solinoid) that switches on the house batteries, some RV have this by the habitation door but the Braves of this era are usually on the dash, so if you've knocked it that will kill the house side. Failing that, toward the back, under the fridge maybe you will have the power distribution/charger/convertor, probably Magnatech, big brown unit. Inside are all the (well in theory) house fuses and 110 circuit breakers, worth checking in here after the dash switch.

Good luck:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bib

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
1993 Brave
Exp
15 years
Had the bottom of the 2 solenoids fitted, found a cable with the wrong size screw which could be moved by hand. Got 12v working now, and the genny starts. Only thing now is - we need a new switch for the dashboard (one of the 3 vertical ones to the left of the dashboard) as the 12v can't be switched off at all. Any ideas where I can get one from please? There are a few on ebay but I don't know if they are the correct size for the aperture. Thanks folks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back