Filling the motorhome during hosepipe ban (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Soon the hosepipe ban will come into force and was wondering what the situation is regarding filling the motorhome. Can I use a tap and hose at the campsite and if I do who is responsible for breaking the ban, me or the owner?
I am guessing that I will need to start packing a watering can.

cakeboy

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think the hosepipe ban is for things like watering the lawn and washing cars etc. I think we are fine filling the MH as it is for drinking/hygene use.

Us fulltimers would be screwed otherwise:Blush:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Any use of a hosepipe in a commercial way would be exempt from a ban
NO ONE has ever been fined for using a hosepipe during a ban, water companies send a letter 'advising' against the use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Look, This is England and it's fast approaching the summer. Plenty of rain on the way then

What we all have to do is be effective at being environmentally friendly.

We should all cover our vehicles with large tarpaulins shaped like a funnel, take a pipe from the base of the "Funnel" and place it in the Water Tank Filling hole, then when it rains (when not if) we can all collect this rainwater and use it for washing, toilets etc.

The site of 100's of large Blue and Green tarpaulins all over the nation would be spectacular?

In the meantine I'm carrying on as normal.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There are lots of exemptions, for instance you aren't allowed to fill a swimming pool or garden pond. However, if there are fish captive in the pond, you can!

I didn't know that. Somebody told me that its ok to use sprinklers as they're not hosepipes.
Jim
:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Also the ban means -

-Thieves aren't allowed to use a hose to introduce sleeping gas into your van.

-You aren't allowed to wash your A-Frame

There's no getting out of carrying your breathalyzer though!::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are lots of exemptions, for instance you aren't allowed to fill a swimming pool or garden pond. However, if there are fish captive in the pond, you can!

It's all on our local water website-

:

didn't know this one.. blue badge holder exemption

Allowed
Use a hosepipe to water a garden attached to a domestic dwelling or to water plants on domestic premises by people with severe mobility problems or who hold a current Blue Badge issued by their local authority.

does this one not cover filling a motorhome tank ?

Not allowed..
Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
This is the reply a member on another forum got from Anglian Water..

"Reference #120314-000032
Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for your email.

You are able to use a hosepipe to fill the water tank in your caravan, motor caravan or boat during the ban without fear of a fine. The use of a hosepipe to facilitate drinking, cooking and toilet water in recreational vehicles such as boats and motor homes is acceptable.
Regards,

Anglian Water Customer Services"

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I live beside the New Forest (about 50metres) and remember the panic of previous years where we had drought and hose pipe bans. It reached the point where a few campsites had to close through lack of water. Not for filling tanks on motorhomes, but for fire hoses:Eeek:

The fire fighters were even looking into the feasibility of filling water bowsers from the sea. Not as straight forward as you may think, as salt water is corrosive and contains all sorts of solid matter from sea weed and fish through to untreated sewage.

As for domestic water some regions were not just put on hosepipe bans, but had standpipes as they couldnt supply all the properties direct at a reasonable pressure. In these areas I would expect recreational use of drinking water to be prohibited.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You have to think a little european on this one, what would our EU cousins do? The french would probably find something to blockade or go on strike, the Italians would ignore it, as they do with any law they dont like, the germans would probably already be running a system of hosepipes from parts of the country NOT subject to a ban, the Spanish would just increase the price of bottled water, and wash less...if thats possible.
I suggest, we remain firmly British,......fill up at night when nobody is looking,...and bloody deny it, as long as none touches your plants, you are not guilty.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back