Electrical connection/reverse cam on Ducato (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Where do you typically pick up power for a rear cam install ? I can see 3 basic ways to install A) Permanent supply, B) Supply live with ignition on, C) as B plus connected to gearbox sensor or reverse light ?

What's the common way to do ? and If go for a 2 camera system then I assume that I would still manually switch to the long view cam during drive time (no rear view mirror) and that selecting reverse gear would override this and switch on the parking cam ?

My guess is always running and hiding the cables is the challenge here and so dry wiring is probably best before ripping the MH apart...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ignition only supply.

that way there is no chance of accidentally leaving the monitor turned on.

not sure about the twin camera set-up auto switching with reverse as selecting reverse would usually just turn the system on from standby.

i would have though you would have to switch camera's manually once reverse was selected

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with John.. supply from ignition accessory terminal ..
Systems I've installed had a single feed to the monitor, the camera is plugged in and fed from the monitor..
I used an 'on all the time system' to monitor the trailer or toad.. .. so never used the reverse gear switch option..

Cable routes depend on the van... it's possible to go through a van from locker to locker and use mini trunking if you have to jump gaps between lockers.. also possible to utilise existing cable runs ... or my preferred method is along the chassis rail, fixing with strong cable ties.. or indeed a mix... as said.. much depends on the vans layout and personal preference..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Agree
For twin cams just feed both and use the monitor to switch the video source or for a bit more money there is a mirror monitor that can display dual pictures too

S

stagman

Deleted User
[i would have though you would have to switch camera's manually once reverse was selected[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

The reverse camera should have a trigger wire from the reversing light this camera will then take over without selecting on the monitor that is if it is the same as I have seen , personally one good camera is enough as when selecting reverse one camera is switching off whilst the other is taking over meaning a couple of seconds of lost picture if that makes sense :thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sikaflexed (no screws) the bracket to the roof on mine to peer over the bikes, ran the cable through my solar panel jb but there is only so far you can get down a van before you have to drop to the deck and go under and up the the engine bay bulkhead
1244352406_gXJFt-L.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[i would have though you would have to switch camera's manually once reverse was selected[/I][/B]

The reverse camera should have a trigger wire from the reversing light this camera will then take over without selecting on the monitor that is if it is the same as I have seen , personally one good camera is enough as when selecting reverse one camera is switching off whilst the other is taking over meaning a couple of seconds of lost picture if that makes sense :thumb:[/QUOTE]agreed, but on my last system (twin input monitor with single camera) the trigger wire just turned on the monitor.
if the monitor was already turned on manually, the trigger wire did nothing and i could manually switch between the feed with a camera and the feed without camera attached.
connecting the camera to either feed did the same thing.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Where do you typically pick up power for a rear cam install ? I can see 3 basic ways to install A) Permanent supply, B) Supply live with ignition on, C) as B plus connected to gearbox sensor or reverse light ?

What's the common way to do ? and If go for a 2 camera system then I assume that I would still manually switch to the long view cam during drive time (no rear view mirror) and that selecting reverse gear would override this and switch on the parking cam ?

My guess is always running and hiding the cables is the challenge here and so dry wiring is probably best before ripping the MH apart...

I picked up from the ignition to avoid unknowingly leaving it switched on. I have twin cameras into one monitor. I dispensed with the reverse selection as I found that until close quarters I used the rear view camera and then switched via the monitor for close up work.

It works a treat, and mounted high looking down I can put the rear bumper within 2 inches of the obstacle.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK so ignition sourced supply is the way to go, where's the easiest place to pick that up ?

S

stagman

Deleted User
if the monitor was already turned on manually, the trigger wire did nothing and i could manually switch between the feed with a camera and the feed without camera attached.
connecting the camera to either feed did the same thing.[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

But didn't one of the trigger wires overide the other when switched i.e. the one designated for reverse .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On my 2004 boxer I came off a spare fuse holders feed(bus) side on my right side fusebox. I used a multimeter to determine which of the spares was ignition switched
Link Removed from this to a fuseholder and the monitor supply. The blade is the same size as the blade of a fuse. My camera is fed from my monitor feed harness

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back