New Truma filter and oil seperation (1 Viewer)

autogas 2000

Free Member
Jun 5, 2010
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
LMC
Update for all those interested.

I have had a meeting this morning with Truma regarding the new gas filter that has been recently launched this month to which I am now the proud owner of one.

Before I go further I would like to recap on the fact that Autogas 2000 Ltd fitted a similar prototype a couple of years ago on behalf of Truma on a brand new van at the same time as we fitted some refillable cylinders. To this date that van has run and not suffered any regulator failure. I also know that Truma fitted other prototypes based on the final revised version and with extensive testing they are happy now to bring to the market the final version.

The new revised final version is fitted with a filter as pictured below which aids the separation of the oily deposits which further collect in the base of the filter case and can be viewed through the viewable inspection holes at the base

P1030789.jpg

A simple plastic wrench is supplied with the filter kit that will undue the filter housing and allow the oil to be drained and filter to be changed if found to be heavily soiled.

P1030790.jpg

I know this will start the debate over again about regulators , oil, hoses etc but I feel that it has been well proven that the oil is in the gas and even the best hose on the market will not eliminate the oil.
I know that Truma have tested this unit in the field and although its new to the market I feel this unique filter designed purely for vapour gas could offer suitable protection for those interested.

In the autogas market we have had experience of oily residue for some time and filters similar to this one by Truma with a low collection point do seem to be very good at collecting the oil from the gas.

Hope this information is of help to people as there has been much talk about such a product and I thought as such it was worth sharing my view to all.

Further information is available from Truma website

Link Removed

Last but not least, the filter does not come with the £1 coin I just used this to give scale for size.

Regards all.

Chris Wise
Autogas 2000 Ltd

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
First questions, has to be,

how much do they cost

who can legaly fit them and service them and at what cost.

regards
Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Another question, does it need to be mounted any particuar way up. The top of my regulator is already a bit cluttered with a t-piece adaptor for the two alugas bottles. I think I would need the right angle adaptor as well. Rather a lot of joints though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dipstick

Free Member
Sep 11, 2009
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2007
They look great but has anyone ever heard of a failure of a Gaslow regulator made by Clesse yet ?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
So this is progress, once we had only one high pressure joint to leak between bottle and the regulator which only cost a few pounds and I never had one fail .Now for some reason IT CANNOT BE SAFETY we have a lot of joints and connectors all high pressure side and a regulator that fails to do what it is made to do so is not fit for purpose and Truma refuse to replace them under warranty.
We were told no its not oil its leaching plasticiser from the pipes buy these stainless pipes and all will be ok?more expense ,now we are back to oil which calor say it is not and buy this filter, more bloody high pressure joints to leak and expense .
If some people told me it was raining is it any wonder I look outside,Bitter what me of course I am, having had plenty of Truma regs stop letting any gas through without warning. Here is a thought why dont Truma try making a reg that works as in fit for purpose ,if it needs this filter it should have been part of the reg, built in when it came out in the first place,or a redesign years ago.we want a product that works not another add on for the bit that does not an all in one unit with a bleed at the bottom to trap the crap so we can let it out of a sight glass

I just looked and they want another 70 pounds for the filter which in my opinion should have been part of the design in the first place

.:soaobox::getmecoat:

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You can lead a horse to water Chris but you can't make the bugger drink!:winky:

D.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have a question here

the gas we fill our refillable systems with is normally bought from a petrol station and is meant to run engines.

the gas we get in the calor cylinders is meant for heating / cooking or occasionally running forklifts on.

now the question is it the same gas in both or does the gas from the petrol stations have additives in it to lubricate the cylinders????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i have a question here

the gas we fill our refillable systems with is normally bought from a petrol station and is meant to run engines.

the gas we get in the calor cylinders is meant for heating / cooking or occasionally running forklifts on.

now the question is it the same gas in both or does the gas from the petrol stations have additives in it to lubricate the cylinders????

Hit the nail on the head....

It is my understanding that Autogas does have additives that are not present in bottled propane and butane...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I asked Darren about this via email and this is his reply !

[FONT=&quot]They’ve been banging on about this for months, but as yet no price or availability, also it’s about 4 years too late to solve the problem as to why it was created. If the price is right we will stock some when they come out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Darren Kilby | [/FONT][FONT=&quot]accessories shop manager
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Johns Cross Motorcaravan & Camping Centre[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battle Road (A21), Robertsbridge, East Sussex TN 32 5JJ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]United Kingdom[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973

It is my understanding that Autogas does have additives that are not present in bottled propane and butane...

Its my understanding that the problem regulators are the ones fitted
remotely on the bulkheads 2004 onwards, not the bottle mounted ones
pre 2004, and these are affected by pre filled bottles just the same as
they are by autogas(LPG). Speaking from experience having suffered failure
with the former but never the latter, although I do carry spare(£5)

regards
Steve

OP
OP
autogas 2000

autogas 2000

Free Member
Jun 5, 2010
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
LMC

Hi ScotJimland,

Autogas and bottled propane gas in the UK is the same mixture with no additives so this does not stand up I am afraid.
GPL abroad though (autogas for cars at the refueling stations) does vary with a winter and summer mix where as you tend to get higher butane gas mixed in to the propane gas over the summer months. In this case it may be possible to get more oil appear on this mix but this is not exact as it all depends on how much gas you pull through and use.

Regards

Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi ScotJimland,

Autogas and bottled propane gas in the UK is the same mixture with no additives so this does not stand up I am afraid.
GPL abroad though (autogas for cars at the refueling stations) does vary with a winter and summer mix where as you tend to get higher butane gas mixed in to the propane gas over the summer months. In this case it may be possible to get more oil appear on this mix but this is not exact as it all depends on how much gas you pull through and use.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.. I stand corrected..

must have a word with my research team... just can't get the staff these days.. :RollEyes:

I blame the last government... :winky:

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
They have had them block up on only Butane use as well

Dipstick

Free Member
Sep 11, 2009
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2007
I'm still trying to figure out why anybody buys Truma regulators when they have such an awful track record. The Comap Clesse/Gaslow regulators are much cheaper and I have yet to hear of one failing.

They don't need a filter either !

:whatthe:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you believe what Truma have said the other regs do not block because they let the gunk through and this will cause even more problems when it gets in the pipework and jets
calor have stated its not from the gas ?????????:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just for information

Hi ScotJimland,

Regards

Chris

Not that I didn't take your word Chris.. but as I had been led to believe it did have additives I emailed Autogas Ltd just to get a confirmation.

You were absolutely correct .. :thumb:

Anyhow, This is their reply..

Sir,
Many thanks for submitting your enquiry via the www.autogas.ltd.uk website.

Autogas Limited is a joint venture company between Calor Gas and Shell Retail. This brings together one of the leading suppliers of LPG and one of the country’s leading forecourt retailers. To date we have in place over 215 forecourt sites.

The Autogas LPG that is dispensed from the pump at our forecourts does not have any additives. The product is exactly the same as the propane delivered to other commercial or domestic customers.

Some vehicles converted to run on LPG do also have an additional lubrication system such as Prins ValveCare or Flashlube. This is a separate system which adds additional lubrication in to the engine when its running on LPG and is fitted to certain vehicles that have been converted to aid long-term durability.

I hope this helps.

Yours faithfully,

Ken Gough

Sales & Marketing Advisor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread