LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
off to barcelona in june traveling from calais although i have done this journey in a car which i did in just over 16hrs but never in a motorhome and hopefully without using toll roads will travel for as long as possible each day but would be nice to know more on how long its going to possibly take

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
off to barcelona in june traveling from calais although i have done this journey in a car which i did in just over 16hrs but never in a motorhome and hopefully without using toll roads will travel for as long as possible each day but would be nice to know more on how long its going to possibly take

870miles avoiding the toll roads. You could do it with just one stop half way if you don't mind extended driving hours. Two stops might be better.
I would probably have at least 5 stops, but then I'm not usually in a hurry.:Smile:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I would allow twice that time (as actual driving time). I often drove to the South of France in a car sometimes with tolls and sometimes without and in the Moho it always takes me about twice as long if I'm just on a mission to get down there. It's just me driving though and while in the car I can sit all day, in the van I need a break every 3 hours or so.

Allow double and if you make it quicker it's a bonus :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
depends on the route you take

It will depend on the route you take.. I tend to go through Andorra .. hit it early morning when the climb up has less cars and trucks .. through the new tunnel, worth the toll.. drop down the other side and take on as much fuel as I can.. then it is a good run down to Barcelona.

With the RV, not using toll roads I can get down to Barcelona in about 2 days.. most of the driving I do at night.. head down to Montauban (head towards Toulouse diction) then head up to Andorra..

Calais to Toulouse is 966 klm and that is about 9 hours non stop... a good days run.. I tend to stop in Monauban area and head out the next morning very early.. in Barcelona late morning...

But as said dependant on the route you take and the number of stops for rest and fuel etc.,

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have done it quite a few times car and motorhome, always on the motorway.

I have done it with one stop but that is pushing it a bit. At least 2 stops I would recommend otherwise you will be pretty knackered by the time you get to the border with Spain.

This August we are doing 4 stops there and 2 stops back, just to enjoy France a bit more.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx was thinkin of taking the route through rouen then down to clermont ferrand maybe stop there and then on to barcelona but havent been via andorra so not sure now lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx Jim that looks a good way as for long drives im ok with long drives i enjoy driving so np there and i normally stop around every 2 hrs. even if its just to stretch me legs for 10mins but thx all for ya help looking forward to it come what may

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
done it both ways

thx was thinkin of taking the route through rouen then down to clermont ferrand maybe stop there and then on to barcelona but havent been via andorra so not sure now lol

Have done it both ways.. the trip via Andorra is less miles in my mind, and the views are great. But I tend to also go down via Clermont-Ferrand and then cut across... getting round Rouen is easy and the roads are good all the way South for a motorhome, plenty of places to stop.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree these days longer

940 Miles from Witham

this is the toll free route I would use

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Witham,+Essex+CM8,+UK&daddr=Barcelona,+Spain&hl=en&sll=51.797805,0.637218&sspn=0.027549,0.084543&geocode=FS1fFgMdIrkJACmDhSsxbuPYRzHZ-nvKtBlBVQ%3BFY2HdwIdPxwhACn1KO0mcZikEjEwA6Qh4PoABA&oq=barcelo&dirflg=t&mra=ls&t=m&z=5

I would take at least three days .. probably four.. long drives are not my forte, so plenty of breaks .. may even take longer if the weather is nice..

these days longer also.. cannot do the 600 miles non stop runs anymore.. I would take 3 or 4 days and see some of France on the way. Just be careful if you go out of France on the main motorway road.. saw a Dutch caravan robbed in a lay bye ... I was in a European Motorhome then and my tab door was on the wrong side for them, so they distracted the driver and passenger at the side of the caravan with the tab door and took there bags from the car.. took seconds... police said it happened a lot.. wonderful. watch out for the traffic lights in Barcelona as well.. keep the doors locked.

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same route as Jim on the way back but took the C14 through Andorra la ville.

we went the other side of Paris via Riems on the way down to Orleans then straight down to Claremont-ferrand, millau and Bezires then the south coast to Perpignan and Girona.

a pleasant 200 miles a day over 4 days.

if you are stopping off at campsites and aires you need to be on site quite early in the day.

S

stagman

Deleted User

From Orleans take the A71 this is a toll road but as far as I can remember not too expensive then on to the A75 great road and free until you get to Millau which is about 11 euros to cross then on to the A9 if you want to overnight there is a tidy Motorhome air at Narbonne with all facilities except ehu or Grussian another great stop you might want to stay 2 nights back on the A9 head for Collioure one of the best coastal towns on the French Med 10 euros per night including free bus into town and back , in the past we have followed the coastal road down into Spain fantastic .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back