Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
just pulled this from the direct gov site anyone heard of this ?

Bus and lorry drivers – new driving licence validity periods

The rules for lorry and bus driving licences will change from 19 January 2013. Licences issued from this date will be valid for five years, up to age 65. Find out how these changes will affect you.

New drivers passing a driving test from 19 January 2013

If you pass your driving test in categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E, after 19 January 2013 you'll receive a licence valid for five years.

Every five years up to age 45, you'll need to sign a declaration to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.
After age 45, you'll need to provide a medical examination report every five years to renew your driving entitlement

Existing minibus, bus and lorry drivers

Drivers under 45 years old

If you passed a driving test in one of the categories below, you'll come under the new rules when you renew your driving licence.

The categories affected are C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E.

When you renew your licence, you'll receive a licence that is valid for five years. Every time you renew it, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will need you to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.

If you apply to replace your licence because it is lost/stolen, or your personal details have changed, your new licence will run until the end of your original period. However, if you update your photo at the same time, you'll come under the new five-year rule.

Drivers over 45 years old

Drivers over 45 will continue to renew their entitlement as they do now.

When you renew your licence at the end of a five-year period, you'll be renewing your driving entitlement. You'll need to provide a medical examination report.
Download ‘medical examination report’ - D4 (PDF, 211K)
Help with PDF files

Expiry dates explained

The expiry date of your licence will be shown on the front of the card in section 4b. The expiry date of your entitlement will be shown on the back of the card.

Medical conditions

You’ll still need to let DVLA know at any time if you suffer from a medical condition that may prevent you from driving. Don't wait until you renew your licence to do this.

In this section...
Changes to driving licence rules in Great Britain
New driving licence rules for mopeds, motorcycles and tricycles
New rules for towing trailers with a car or small vehicle
New rules for vehicles you can drive and minimum ages
The new driving licence card design explained

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is useful information

That is useful information. DVLA seems to be changing a lot of things these days based on age or when your photo changes or you move address.

Seems it is going to cost the motorist a lot more money. Interesting to see just how many categories it catches.

Bob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damn, I am 41 this year so not long till it applies to me.

this is getting confusing now.

My car entitlement (b) expires 2041
My van entitlement (c1) expires 2016
My license expires 2019
I am 45 in 2016.

Grrrr. What a mess.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Found it

Link Removed

Not too complicated after all. I am ok until I am 45. At which point I can keep driving up to 3.5T. Or I can take a medical and keep my C1 entitlement.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention I wouldn't have noticed otherwise...

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Found it

Link Removed

Not too complicated after all. I am ok until I am 45. At which point I can keep driving up to 3.5T. Or I can take a medical and keep my C1 entitlement.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention I wouldn't have noticed otherwise...

Thanks for putting the link in I didnt think to do that!!!:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Have you seen the medical examination report required for people over 45 :Eeek:
Jim
:cry:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Ive just had a quick look at the medical download, as if doctors havnt got enough to do.

This medical is a private transaction between the driver and the doctor. The recommended fee is about £150 for the medical.

Joan has just had to have one to retain her C1E at 70 and that cost £115. All drivers who passed their test before 1997 were granted C1E (vehicles over 3.5 tonns but under 7.5 tonns) This was known as Grandfather Rights. But those after that date had to pass a separate test. (C1 is vehicles over 3.5 tonn but under 7.5 tonn. E is for trailers C is the HGV hicence)

As I understood it if you had C1E before 1997 you kept it without a medical unitl age 70.

HGV (C) & PCV (D) drivers have to have the medical at 45 and every 5 years after that. At 70 they have to have annual medical, whereas a Driver of a Motorhome (C1) over 70 is only required to have the medical every 3 years.

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
been having to have a medical for hgv and psv since i was 45. its been like it for along time . medical prices vary depends on your doctor . the other day some one mentioned a doctor system set up for cheap medicals . wish i had know my last one was 140quid.

IanRS

Free Member
Nov 6, 2008
Funster No
been having to have a medical for hgv and psv since i was 45. its been like it for along time . medical prices vary depends on your doctor . the other day some one mentioned a doctor system set up for cheap medicals . wish i had know my last one was 140quid.

Look up http://driversmedical.com/
I'm not linked in any way to these but I just dont like being ripped off by the family GP.

Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi yes thats the ones .someone mentioned them not long aga .good price as i recall. will have to write it down ,memory failure .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think theres a little confusion here....

i have category C1, C1E, D1 and D1E on my licence but have never taken a test for any of them.... I have them as a 'grandfather' right since i passed my normal car test back in 1982.

I believe what this new move means is, if you took any of the above as a specific test for that category alone then the new rules apply....not to any driver with grandfather rights.

IE: you took the new C1E test to increase your train limit to 12000kg instead of sticking with the grandfather right to drive up to 8250kg train weight.

also......

Drivers over 45 will continue to renew their entitlement as they do now which will apply to the majority of funsters..

this is only my interpretation of the new rules....just as DVLA interpret the rules as they see fit.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Ive just had a quick look at the medical download, as if doctors havnt got enough to do.

I would not worry about poor doctors, mine charged me £120 plus VAT for writing out my report and medical 30 minutes in total, bad as solicitors.

Peter

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we charge in 6 minute slots

I would not worry about poor doctors, mine charged me £120 plus VAT for writing out my report and medical 30 minutes in total, bad as solicitors.

Peter

Peter we charge in 6 minute slots... so do not talk to a solicitor for 7 minutes otherwise you are charged for 12 minutes... dependant on the hourly rate is what you will get charged.

£120 for 30 minutes would be equal to £240 an hour for a solicitor and there are plenty out there that charge as low as £90 per our.. Ok if you want a London firm and a senior partner then it could be a lot more per hour..

The ones that earn the money are the dentists these days.

Bob

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
This medical is a private transaction between the driver and the doctor. The recommended fee is about £150 for the medical.

Joan has just had to have one to retain her C1E at 70 and that cost £115. All drivers who passed their test before 1997 were granted C1E (vehicles over 3.5 tonns but under 7.5 tonns) This was known as Grandfather Rights. But those after that date had to pass a separate test. (C1 is vehicles over 3.5 tonn but under 7.5 tonn. E is for trailers C is the HGV hicence)

As I understood it if you had C1E before 1997 you kept it without a medical unitl age 70.

HGV (C) & PCV (D) drivers have to have the medical at 45 and every 5 years after that. At 70 they have to have annual medical, whereas a Driver of a Motorhome (C1) over 70 is only required to have the medical every 3 years.

John

Well, I consider myself lucky, my GP wants £50.00 for my mdical, which I will be having in the very ner future.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
mmmm, now I need to renew my C+E license every 5 years, but they don't care about my H license which allows me to career down the road in a 65 tonne tank!:ROFLMAO:

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
hgv

just had to renew mine, med. cost £120 been having them every 5 year's since i was 45 now 60 but it is tax deductible but they give it your tax code over 5 years

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi .i renewed my hgv 1 licence last month (55now)my medical cost £116 FOR ABOUT 15 MINS OF MY DOCTORS TIME not bad wages hey.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back