LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we are sailing 29 march en route to pisa Italy via swiss. I was wondering if i am likely to need snow chains, or will most of the snow have gone.

I dont plan on going over any mountain passes or will i have to.

cheers,, Louis :Cool:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
interesting this one . i cant help . but i can say we see snow on the mountains as we leave spain at the end of april. yes it is on the pecos de europa but be interesting about the north itay routes . i would think the roads would be clear but still get snow on the high peaks . havent done italy route for years . too cold in winter so never go there anymore. i,m sure someone will be more use to you than me . but i wait the replies .

DGT

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
8 mths
Hi sorry can't help with snow chain's but would like to know about your trip if you find any good aires/sosta's or campsites and road toll's in Italy we are doing Pisa in August hope you have a good time many thnaks Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Hi dave.
I will try and keep you informed, we are hoping to keep off toll roads as much as possible, doing a 2 stop on the way down. we are going reims , chalon en champagne, st dizier, nancy, epinal, basel route, which has been advised by one of our experienced ex italy truck drivers. we are also stopping off at 2 first world war cemetries where my great grandfather and his brother are buried.

cheers Louis::bigsmile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hi dave.
I will try and keep you informed, we are hoping to keep off toll roads as much as possible, doing a 2 stop on the way down. we are going reims , chalon en champagne, st dizier, nancy, epinal, basel route, which has been advised by one of our experienced ex italy truck drivers. we are also stopping off at 2 first world war cemetries where my great grandfather and his brother are buried.

cheers Louis::bigsmile:

Stay below 1200m and you'll be fine, 1200-1500m kinda OK and above 1500m and there's still a very good chance of snow, almost certain although the roads will be clear.

We are at 800m and the ice melted this week, last week we went into the Jura to find some snow for the land rover to play in, but the Reims - Basel route is a good choice.

Chains: honestly I have never used them on road, it's really needs to be extreme conditions with fresh snow and no clearing, very very unlikely (possible) at end March, winter tyres are a different thing and thoroughly recommended although again you'll be fine at that time of year.

Call in for a cuppa if you want :thumb:

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Call in for a cuppa if you want

Cheers ridgeway:thumb:

we're planning to stopover somewhere in swiss, we were looking at the lucerne area.

thanks for the offer anyway,very kind of you.

Louis.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
A really special place not far from Lucerne is Grindelwald, we go once a year to stand under the North Face of the Eiger, the village itself is something else and there are some nice walks that will just be possible in early April.

http://grindelwald.ch/

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
For the sake of £50 or even cheaper if you look on Ebay, I would take some. As said, depending on height and of course weather extremities you never know. I have only used mine twice in 7 years in the Alps in February, but I feel better knowing that they are in the van just in case.

Enjoy your trip.

PS you can buy them out there, not alot cheaper if at all.

DGT

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
8 mths
Cheers Louis, we look forward to hearing about your trip. We are planning Belgum, Luxembourg, Germany and down into Basel also stop off at Luzern and like you we are visiting my great grandfather's war grave in Meaulte on the way back. Have a good trip.Dave

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
we are sailing 29 march en route to pisa Italy via swiss. I was wondering if i am likely to need snow chains, or will most of the snow have gone.

I dont plan on going over any mountain passes or will i have to.

cheers,, Louis :Cool:
Hi your route to pisa via france swiss and transit through italy will be good and clear roads in march, expect to see snow around the gothard but the road up and down will be clear,ive traveld this route into italy through all seasons, so just enjoy your selfs, Regards Alf.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back