Pushing 60 and Still Got the Urge! (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Both my partner Angie and I work full time for the police :Eeek:. As I'm approaching retirement we wanted to start a business to generate some income and give us something to keep us busy - life after work :Smile:. So, we print t-shirts and other craft goods as well as embroidery. Spent a fortune on equipment so far!

I've always had the 'bug' for motor homing or, as my dad used to call it dormobile - I guess that's an unused word these days? My parents used to have a Commer dormobile, I can still remember the registration number 4182 ML. They absolutely loved it and had so much fun.

Two weeks ago (Feb 2012) we purchased our first motor home, a 55 plate Burstner Argos A-748. Because of work committments we've had very little time since to 'potter about' in it, something we both look forward to doing, I can see it taking up a lot of my time, enjoyable though.

Part of the reasoning in getting a large mobile home is because we want to exhibit our products at shows and need to haul equipment with us too.

So that's about it for now. Look forward to learning and probably will ask some rather basic questions too :Blush:

John

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
:welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb:Good idea for full timing income
terry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome.

Nice van:thumb:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks for the welcomes ::bigsmile: We were looking for a van for ages and one of our main criteria was a large garage - hence the Burstner. It comes with many other features like a full 'wet' heating system :RollEyes: (still trying to work out what that means) and much more. Gets a bit overwhelming!

Welcome to Fun, think you should change your name to PrintUp though.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

We started doing embroidery hence the name Stitch-Up, but we've moved on a little since then and probably down by £60k+ :whatthe: so it's gotta work to pay for the diesel.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Hi,
There a lot of helpfull folk on here with ideas and solutions to things you would never had thought about yourself. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for the welcomes ::bigsmile: We were looking for a van for ages and one of our main criteria was a large garage - hence the Burstner. It comes with many other features like a full 'wet' heating system :RollEyes: (still trying to work out what that means) and much more. Gets a bit overwhelming!

We started doing embroidery hence the name Stitch-Up, but we've moved on a little since then and probably down by £60k+ :whatthe: so it's gotta work to pay for the diesel.

Thanks

The way it's going you could have run the van for a couple of yrs for that kind of dosh ::bigsmile:PS DON.T FORGET TO PAY THE TENNER- BEST TENNER YOU WILL SPEND ON THE VAN
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome also

Welcome also..

what you may find is you end up having to pull a trailer to get your items to shows and carry you stall etc., be careful you do not fall in tot he trap of weight etc., as then you have to have a taco fitted if it is used for business.. on our sister site www.rvoc.co.uk (the yank motor homes) there is a member Duncan who runs Starspangledspanner.co.uk he has a day van that pulls his exhibition unit and if I remember he had to have a taco fitted. worth checking the rules.. also as you have a grandad licence you can go up to 8.25 tons MASS .. but need to be aware of the weights etc.,

We do see T shirt printers at shows, also people that sell van graphics and fit them on for you.. plus others that print signs as well.. so it is a proven business..The best one I saw was a company that had a computer that embroidered on to jackets etc., You also get the one's that put a picture on to oil canvas.

Regards

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Perhaps they will abide by the law in that case

Hi I am sure as you both work for the police Stitch up will get some comments

Perhaps they will abide by the law in that case ... goods in transit insurance etc.,:Blush::Blush: will the motorhome be insured as social domestic and pleasure or will be be insured as a goods vehicle or what about being a living van:Blush:... bit more than a boot fair it would seem.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
WoW! Don't you guys work? ::bigsmile: I've got an excuse, I got 2 weeks off to just potter about, Angie's not so happy as she has to work :ROFLMAO:

Paid my TE££ER, seemed a fair price for the help I'll no doubt get :thumb:

Of course I'll be legal :winky: - say no more.

I'm back to trying to work out how to get the hot engine coolant to circulate the habitation area - where do I start!

Thanks all.

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do read the bit about traders advertising

I do suggest you read the bit about traders advertising, other Jim might get a bit upset.

Bob:Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum, the van you have is over 3500kgs, and no doubt currently taxed and insured as a private heavy goods. (PHGV)However once you carry goods that are not normal to everyday motorhome living goods the situation changes. It becomes an HGV with License , taco, tax mot ( vehicle would need plating) and insurance implications. These need looking into as the insurance can become horrendous, (if you fail to tell them and have an accident or theft they will not pay out).

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
As usual Roger some good advice

Do not think we are having a pop at the law.. well may be.. but if you cannot take a joke you should not have joined... as my father said when i got married.. but seriously owners of motorhomes do not always think things through.

For the up to date advice Rick.. Motor Romin ... owned a truck driving school and is a member on this site and the RVOC sister site.. he will tell you what the current situation is re driving licences.. Others like Roger (Wildman) will lend there considerable knowledge to the issues.. me being a retired (Criminal Lawyer) will often chip in from my current Wilkinsons Road Traffic Acts volumes re construction and use and the RTA.

Others will tell you what they know even if you did not want to hear it. You will see lots of debates about towing and toads (A Frames) among lots of subjects. But if you are going to do this T shire as a commercial business it is only right you are aware of the issues.. and yes it has been known for the authorities to be at shows.... and VOSA to be on one of the exit roads to check vehicles.

No oe wants to put a downer on free enterprise.. just best do it legal in all respects.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks again for all the replies, welcomes and warnings. Maybe we'll find other ways of getting to the shows, the alternative seems to be a bit 'nightmareish'. We'll just enjoy our van for what it was meant for.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Sorry about the leg pulling but your name was funny for someone who works for the police (I knew someone in the force must do something)
Welcome to fun I am sure there are lots of opportunities for different designs for clubs, pubs , car clubs, bike clubs,pop group fans,motorhome clubs:Smile: and lots more,you should perhaps look into asking people on here for advice about setting up internet sales sites etc.
I am sure you will do well with your new adventure good luck and remember, there are no silly questions if you do not know ask on here, someone will help if they can

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Sorry about the leg pulling but your name was funny for someone who works for the police (I knew someone in the force must do something)
Hahaha, no problem with the leg pulling, we did choose the name thinking the same ::bigsmile: and, as you might imagine, I've endured much worse :whatthe:

Welcome to fun I am sure there are lots of opportunities for different designs for clubs, pubs , car clubs, bike clubs,pop group fans,motorhome clubs:Smile: and lots more,you should perhaps look into asking people on here for advice about setting up internet sales sites etc.
I am sure you will do well with your new adventure good luck and remember, there are no silly questions if you do not know ask on here, someone will help if they can

Thanks for the welcome too. Forums do provide an enormous resource in just about any subject one can think of - this forum seems to be particularly busy.

We've yet to spend our first night in our Burstner - maybe we'll go to the Newbury show, at least we'll survive with the knowledge close by!

John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you would be very welcome

Hahaha, no problem with the leg pulling, we did choose the name thinking the same ::bigsmile: and, as you might imagine, I've endured much worse :whatthe:

Thanks for the welcome too. Forums do provide an enormous resource in just about any subject one can think of - this forum seems to be particularly busy.

We've yet to spend our first night in our Burstner - maybe we'll go to the Newbury show, at least we'll survive with the knowledge close by!

John

You would be very welcome to join MHF at Newbury... there are a few on the list at the moment, but it grows nearer the time. Remember if you book it you need to tick the club box and put your membership number and Avatar name.. the membership number is on the details on the avatar area. Attending the shows and meeting some of the members you get a chance to put a name to a face and it helps.

We often see motorhomes behind the stalls at the shows, so it is up to the person how there handle there affairs. But worth coming to a show or two and get involved. Lots of the traders on here do things for the members, Johns Cross down my next of the woods in Kent is at the shows and he gives a 5% discount and then you have Eddie of VanBitz gives a discount... well he was not sure if he still is of 15%?????? but it is a good place to do business and make friends... not sure were retired police fit in tot he order of life... hate estate agents, used car dealers, lawyers:Blush: etc., but at the shows and on here 99% of the time we are just motorhome owners with a common interest.. but do come to Newbury it is a good show and a good chance to join in as much or as little as you want.

I never used to own a Ukulele until I was persuaded to try one at one of the meets in the entertainment tent we have. Or have a go at the Karaoke.. or just sit and chat... always someone with a head under engine cowl if that is what you like.. always plenty of join BBQ's on the go in the evenings.. people just turn up with theres and food is added.. I think we had 10 in a line at Stratford last year, every shape and size.. people just join in.

Anyway hope to meet you in the flesh as they say.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back