propane bottle connection from a Uk regulator to a French bottle (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Help required....
A Funster is coming over to France in his motorhome.....
What type of adaptor is required so he can connect to his uk regulator to a French propane bottle...is it a brass conversion connector ...or a pigtail uk to France propane bottle if so.. WHAT!!

Does anybody have any ebay numbers of what is required.
Thank you Mel

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
on a recent thread (cant find it now) it was said they are the same thread so the UK hose will directly fit the French bottle.

Sorry John that was me and someone corrected me as it was wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i remember the thread on here but also cant find it but seem to think that the french propane fitting is the same as the english butane fitting.
as in external right hand thread as opposed to internal left hand thread.
and if so then you need something like this....

Link Removed

gaslow did one with a gauge on it but cant find a reference for it.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
could have sworn it was Ken (KSEBruce) and he checked the thread connection for leaks, which it didnt anyway.

i looked through Kens posts but cant find any reference to the thread.

John I know I replied to somebody on fun...I said as they look similar...I thought they may be the same, but they must check first, as I was not sure:Doh: ....BUT I was corrected by another funster who said they are totally different:thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
John I know I replied to somebody on fun...I said as they look similar...I thought they may be the same, but they must check first, as I was not sure:Doh: ....BUT I was corrected by another funster who said they are totally different:thumb:

The difference between UK Butane and the French Propane may have been one, left hand thread,..and one right hand thread !!:Doh::cry:...but I am not sure:Eeek:

Mel

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
i remember the thread on here but also cant find it but seem to think that the french propane fitting is the same as the english butane fitting.
as in external right hand thread as opposed to internal left hand thread.
and if so then you need something like this....

Link Removed

gaslow did one with a gauge on it but cant find a reference for it.

Sorry to disagree but this is wrong, all fuel gases are left hand threaded, and I do mean ALL! Acetylene, Propane, Butane etc all have left hand threads.

D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the old uk butane is same as french maroc german etc butane .its a lh thread butane nut .
could be similar to a w20 , but not sure memory going .
i suggest op visits a caravan shop or as a word with BES te.0800 80 10 90or fesgas look on google .
all depends if there already is a bulkhead reg or a bottle reg .

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Sorry to disagree but this is wrong, all fuel gases are left hand threaded, and I do mean ALL! Acetylene, Propane, Butane etc all have left hand threads.

D.

Thanks Dave I was hoping you join the thread.....what do this person need to connect his Uk regulator to a French Propane bottle...Mel:thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
the old uk butane is same as french maroc german etc butane .its a lh thread butane nut .
could be similar to a w20 , but not sure memory going .
i suggest op visits a caravan shop or as a word with BES te.0800 80 10 90or fesgas look on google .
all depends if there already is a bulkhead reg or a bottle reg .

Thanks Alan....:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if he as a bulkhead reg i think its a w20 to a butane nut .bes do them with a non return valve set up or standard . depends on the reg .
all veryconfusing much easier to have a bottle reg and swap regulators to suit the bottle . why does life get like it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

D.

i apologise i have indeed made a mistake here and looking at the adapter i linked to it does say left handed thread.:Doh::Doh:

ahh well we all make mistakes and i dare say it wont be the last time:Blush::Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think if you google fes gas then go to adaptors
product code uk109 butane to pol .you will find the right thing .swaps uk old butane or foreign butane to uk pol .
i use a similar one for adapting butane to gas bottle filler.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks Dave I was hoping you join the thread.....what do this person need to connect his Uk regulator to a French Propane bottle...Mel:thumb:

As VWAlan says, a pigtail with a W20 (Uk Butane) nut on the end, about £10 or so.

D.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, as already stated above.

If they have a fixed regulator then using Butane pigtails can solve all sorts of connection problems.

Get the Butane pigtails and use the Gaslow (or similar) butane to propane adaptor for propane use in the UK. I chose the adaptor with the built in plastic easy-on knob thingy so you dont have to use a spanner to do up.

Just the butane pigtails for French propane bottle (or at least the LeClerc (sp?) supermarket propane bottle (which was only 1 Euro to rent the bottle last year+ gas cost).

You can also stick other adaptors onto the butane pigtails to suit the Spanish propane bottles (jumbo adaptor?) and you can use a campinggaz adaptor on the pigtail as a sort of emergency solution as campingaz is available virtually everywhere (if sometimes expensive).

I've never come across any adaptors for propane pigtails hence using the butane + whatever adaptor.

(Thanks to rayhook for the above info and for pointing me in the right direction when I was trying to tackle my own euro gas problems)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the adaptor from fes gas uses the propane pigtail and adapts it to old uk butane or french german bottles . if going to spain just about every ferreteria or leroymerlin sells the jumbo adaptor with the w20 fitting . not a reg just an adaptor . repsol do all sorts of adaptors in their shops in spain. i have a repsol plus an adaptor from leroy . i nearly always use old uk type regs . they are only pence in maroc .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back