why exclude tuggers (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Should tuggers be able to park on French aires. There could be rules as far as unhooking dut surly they have as many rights as motorhomes so why are they excluded.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
nothing to do with length of rig.. been on plenty with my RV + Trailer.. must have been all of 55 ft in total

caravans generally are not self contained, ie they need an external grey and fresh barrel.. which would break the rules of having nothing outside the van ..

Aires are not for camping on, they are overnight stops for camping cars .. hence no caravans rule which also excludes or prevents the true travellers using them

however, I have seen 5ers and caravans on aires and no one batted an eye lid..

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have found Buttons that it is hard sometimes to get in with a trailer on the back of my RV.. so caravans would not find it easy...

Bob:Cool:

I can understand that Bob but are there any rules stopping you from attempting to park like thoughs for tuggers. sorry this is a bit slow. sitting in coffee shop using my phone.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
An RV with a toad is a back to front car/caravan combo with an extra engine!

So yes, they should be excluded!

Us Brits seem to be unique in europe. You never see our continental cousins with toads. We seem to prefer them for the following reasons-

a) We think we have a huge RV, even if we haven't. (we have seen a SWB Volkswagen high top pulling a toad, I kid you not!)

b) Brit campsites are bloody miles from where you want to visit.

c) Motorhoming in the UK is a 'Grey' occupation. Most of our continental cousins are sprightly enough to get on their bike.

d) We have no respect for the road traffic laws and get away with what we can.

e) Continental MHers don't buy many RVs. They cost too much to run and don't fit on aires!

f) Continental Mhers are more mobile, and don't sit for 2 weeks on one spot at a cHaven with the grandkids. Therefore they have no need for extra wheels to fetch provisions from the hyper-expensive site mini mart 50 yards away.

g) Every Council Parking Department in the UK seems to take back-handers from Height-Barrier Manufacturers!

If anyone takes offence, tough luck!::bigsmile:

*WARNING! THIS POST IS A WIND UP!*

Best wishes to all motorhomers, toad owners or not!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
nothing to do with length of rig.. been on plenty with my RV + Trailer.. must have been all of 55 ft in total

caravans generally are not self contained, ie they need an external grey and fresh barrel.. which would break the rules of having nothing outside the van ..

Aires are not for camping on, they are overnight stops for camping cars .. hence no caravans rule which also excludes or prevents the true travellers using them

however, I have seen 5ers and caravans on aires and no one batted an eye lid..
Thanks jim. some modern caravans have on board facilities like motohomes.so could they be permitted to park.
:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks jim. some modern caravans have on board facilities like motohomes.so could they be permitted to park.

on the face of it yes.... but I doubt the French will change the rules..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
shame as Buttons would believe it

Us Brits seem to be unique in europe. You never see our continental cousins with toads. We seem to prefer them for the following reasons-

a) We think we have a huge RV, even if we haven't. (we have seen a SWB Volkswagen high top pulling a toad, I kid you not!)

c) Motorhoming in the UK is a 'Grey' occupation. Most of our continental cousins are sprightly enough to get on their bike.

e) Continental MHers don't buy many RVs. They cost too much to run and don't fit on aires!

f) Continental Mhers are more mobile, and don't sit for 2 weeks on one spot at a cHaven with the grandkids. Therefore they have no need for extra wheels to fetch provisions from the hyper-expensive site mini mart 50 yards away.

g) Every Council Parking Department in the UK seems to take back-handers from Height-Barrier Manufacturers!

Shame, you would have had Buttons supporting it... he has this love hate relationship with anything bigger than his VW box... I have stopped in plenty of aires with trailers on my RV.. seen overs, but I have not seen any tuggers. While agree it is for a overnight stop, and no chairs and tables... they park to close to get them out anyway.. but I have in the day times seen motorhomes in aires with tables and chairs out when they have been empty (Aires).

Bob

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

:Sad:
My post or yours is a wind up.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have seen a few caravans on Aires in France and in all cases they have been Spanish.

I wonder if a 5er qualifies, as I have to pull one through France in a few days and I would like to use Aires.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have seen a few caravans on Aires in France and in all cases they have been Spanish.

I wonder if a 5er qualifies, as I have to pull one through France in a few days and I would like to use Aires.

Pete:Cool:
Good question Hobo, perhaps VWalan could give some advice, not sure if his could be described as a fiver but it does have many similarities .:thumb:

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
tuggers on aires

we were on an aire when 2 lads pulled on with a twin axle caravan they unhitched and pushed it into a corner they then proceeded to start unloading everthing into the car,all sorts of crap, said bonjour to me and when the car was full they pushed it down the road and out of sight 5 minutes later it came roaring past back up the road. went to nosey at the caravan it was a right shed still got allsorts in it. anyway 45 mins later back they came said bonjour again and loaded car up again swept it out and pushed car down road again sure enough 5mins later it came belting past again. about half an hour later back they came with a couple in a merc who promptly viewed it for 10 seconds flat and rapidly drove off (no pushing) the two lads smiled at me and pushed their car down the road again and off they went ,perhaps its still there, so no keep the tuggers off :Cool:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
The French have made aires for "Camping Cars," to us motorhomes, they provide the services, they own the land, so they have control over who does and who doesn't use them.
We might question the logic as to why they make the rules they make, but I feel they also have the right to ignore our thoughts and do what they like with what belongs to them.

Norman

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No No No No keep the bloody tuggers off:ROFLMAO: the CC and CCC already have all the best sites in the UK and treat M/Homers as second class. They can't have Aires as well or before you know it they'll want M/homes banned from Aires:ROFLMAO:

Only joking:thumb: I could'nt care less if they use them or not so long as there's room for me.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sounds like the argument for toads in Spain to me

The French have made aires for "Camping Cars," to us motorhomes, they provide the services, they own the land, so they have control over who does and who doesn't use them.
We might question the logic as to why they make the rules they make, but I feel they also have the right to ignore our thoughts and do what they like with what belongs to them.

Norman

Sounds somewhat like the argument re toads in Spain.. I take it that Spain still own Spain:winky:.. but according to those that own toads the law does not apply to them.. so why should they respect the view you have put forward Norman re the French Aires?

Normally it is I am British and I do as I want:Blush::reel::Blush:

Bob

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We might question the logic as to why they make the rules they make, but I feel they also have the right to ignore our thoughts and do what they like with what belongs to them.Norman
How about uk Aires should tuggers be permitted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
. I take it that Spain still own Spain:winky:..

Bob

for the present..

but who knows, Germany has eyes on most of the PIGS .. can only a matter of time till they go the way of Greece .. then we will have A frames as they are not illegal in Germany :roflmto: still at it eh Bob .. :reel:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How about uk Aires should tuggers be permitted.

can't see why not.. what's the difference between a van tugging and a van chugging .. ?

same difference, except one has the engine on board, the other has a more sensible arrangement where it can be un-tethered and used for shopping .. :winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
who me

for the present..

but who knows, Germany has eyes on most of the PIGS .. can only a matter of time till they go the way of Greece .. then we will have A frames as they are not illegal in Germany :roflmto: still at it eh Bob .. :reel:

Who me:Blush::Blush::Blush: now would I start a debate :winky: my name is not Buttons:Cool:

Bob:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Should tuggers be able to park on French aires. There could be rules as far as unhooking dut surly they have as many rights as motorhomes so why are they excluded.

Why let them in. Sometimes the queue to empty the waste is long enough - imagine waiting while a tugger positions their Van over the drain!

We were on an Aire at Le Crotoy and a Tugger came in. He had barely stepped out of the Car before he was asked to leave.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why let them in. Sometimes the queue to empty the waste is long enough - imagine waiting while a tugger positions their Van over the drain!

We were on an Aire at Le Crotoy and a Tugger came in. He had barely stepped out of the Car before he was asked to leave.

objection m'lud

this is prejudicial .. have a word will ya Bob.. one day you may also be a tugger :winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Buttons....We have seen many caravans turned OFF Aires in France...also we have seen the french motorhomers go to other french people that have sneaked on the aire and ask them to leave :Eeek:and these have been those tiny caravans eriba mini vans not much bigger than a small car and just as tall... that most of the French use...the police are very hot and patrol the AIRES. :Eeek:
we also know a Brit who lit up a BBQ and the French contacted the police, the police asked the Brit to pack up and leave....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes i have used airres with my present truck and for years with a vw van. yes i have also used and seen caravans on airres . never have i been told to move . mind i never use pay airres . i once lived on the airre at roscoff for 3 months .
french caravans do use them in quiet times .
they do stay on them for weeks in m,homes .and yes mine is a 5er . its just most 5ers arent artics . all artics are 5ers .
i also stay on truck stops and any where thats free . i dont like paying to stay at all. but have done a few times . after all its only a game.
my set up is shorter than many big m,homes -rv,s .certainly shorter than most caravan set ups .

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I have seen it happen twice at Le Crotoy...police has asked them to leave.. and waited untill they have gone and not been at all pleasant with them:Angry: gee-ing them along!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back