Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Would a 5th wheeler be an option for what we plan to do?
We plan to travel around the UK from May to September only for 2 weeks at a time. Returning to Norfolk each time.
At the end of September we plan to travel through France to Spain for 6 weeks.
All being well we would like to drive to Morocco at the end of December for 3 months.
After that we are looking at Germany, Italy etc.
We plan to wild camp 2 thirds of the time maybe stop on a site every 3rd night to fill up with water and empty the toilet etc.
We like the idea of exploring in the 4x4 leaving the living area behind as it will make parking easier when going into towns but I presume we can only do this if its parked up on a proper site?
Ther will be me, my wife and our 11 year old son travelling.
Any advice and ideas would be great.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Would a 5th wheeler be an option for what we plan to do?

Hi

Yes, it is an option, but for what you plan to do it wouldn't be my choice.

Wild camping is best done in a motorhome .. 5ers are better for long term stays .. same as caravans ... so you are trying to find the ultimate mobile home which I'm afraid doesn't exist .. whatever you choose will be a compromise..only you can decide which is more important..

My choice would be a panel van conversion ,(PVC) can go nearly everywhere and not to difficult to park. and ideal for wilding .. There are only three of you so you don't need a massive vehicle.

If you are set on having a 4x4 then , a medium sized caravan and small 4x4 would be better than a 5er for touring .. We toured extensively abroad, Spain, France, Germany with a 17ft caravan and Landrover Discovery .. in many ways it was better than a motorhome, but we don't do much wilding, the main drawback was exclusion from French aires.

An option now going out of favour due to legal issues abroad is a motorhome with an A framed car..

For Morocco .. a PVC is best .. but again, it can be done with a large RV, (as we did) 5er or caravan..

so many choices.. and only my opinion .. others will have diametric ones. :roflmto:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we looked at them last year, you get a lot for your money.::bigsmile:
And at the moment only being half timers, the space and like you say a truck to run around in. Having only one vehicle to MOT / Tax and Insure was a plus. :thumb:

But looking into it, and what we do the rest of the year, we decided not the best move for us.

Having spoke to lots of people here in Spain, most bring them here and never take them home again, just put them in storage or on a pitch full time. :Doh:

That's not for us, so its a motorhome / trailer and a car.:thumb: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
One of the issues

One of the issues.. if you park up (wild camping) and the tractor unit .. i.e the vehicle that pulls the trailer part is not with the unit (having gone out for example) you have advertised the fact it may be unattended.. that would worry me personally.

We have been look ourselves at a few Calder have on there site for possible change at the end of the season.. but we will have to sell the RV first... we are doing a lot of research at the moment.

I see problems for us (with scooters / wheelchairs) which we need to overcome. I intend to have a word with Alex (Calders) in due course.... now why have I chosen him? given he is about as far away as it is possible for us to find a dealer.. simples.. when I wanted to find out about OBDII readers.. it was Alex that loaned me his one at a show.. he had to send it by special delivery to the show and without asking for all my details etc., he loaned me it on the fact I was a MHF member.. now that is the type of company I want to do business with..

So I will hopefully be talking to them in due course. He has a rather nice 24' one I fancy with a bike rack platform at the back and an outside kitchen.

Seems harder to get an A class yank within the spec i.e size / cost as Mo knows, as he is also looking still for a deal... I am not against an A class, but it will have to be right for me.. the 5ver is another option which at the moment seems to have a head start.. but time will tell.

Bob:thumb:

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, what can i say . have been using my mini artic for the last 12 years . i dont have any problems with it . i have changed the tow unit. i do drop the trailer when away .but only for going into gibralter or maybe agadir if we are on a safe place. i do do it in others but usually not . i find that by keeping the trailer on the back it gives my truck more traction . remember mines an artic it actually puts half the trailer load on to the truck. i almost never use sites .water and droppong waste is easy . i have looked at 5ers over the years and think its the way foreward for many . cheaper ferry crossings as they say its a car and caravan. i take my lynton trailer places 4x4 dare to tread . its another option . do think of 4x4 mitsubishi but dare say i would brake the trailer to bits . pm me if you want more info. but there isnt the problems people think . i hope you find what your looking for . i think i have .
alan

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou for all the info.
We do not need a 4 x 4 but would be easier than taking the whole motorhome with us when going out for the day.
We have been looking at 6 berths preferably an A class so no beds have to be made up each night.
We would like to avoid the 6 berth coachbuilt vans if possible because of the large overhang above the cab. Also the bed above the cab is not tall enough in most motorhomes for our 11 year old son to sit up in.
Our son is handicapped and loves his computer and Xbox so he can sit in the A class double bed above the cab and play on both some evenings.
We are also home schooling him while away over the next 2 years

We have never considered a panel van conversion as we feel that they would be to small for us but we have never actually looked at one to see.
Maybe we should?
Even though there is only 3 of us we do like space and room to move. Our son is a restless sleeper and has always slept in a double bed.

The price of the van is not important its more the depreciation over the next 3 years.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
RV's do not go up in value despite what some say

Thankyou for all the info.
We do not need a 4 x 4 but would be easier than taking the whole motorhome with us when going out for the day.
We have been looking at 6 berths preferably an A class so no beds have to be made up each night.
We would like to avoid the 6 berth coachbuilt vans if possible because of the large overhang above the cab. Also the bed above the cab is not tall enough in most motorhomes for our 11 year old son to sit up in.
Our son is handicapped and loves his computer and Xbox so he can sit in the A class double bed above the cab and play on both some evenings.
We are also home schooling him while away over the next 2 years

We have never considered a panel van conversion as we feel that they would be to small for us but we have never actually looked at one to see.
Maybe we should?
Even though there is only 3 of us we do like space and room to move. Our son is a restless sleeper and has always slept in a double bed.

The price of the van is not important its more the depreciation over the next 3 years.

American RV's do not go up in value despite what some may say.. but when they reach a certain figure they tend to bottom out... some of the RV's have a bed in the roof of the A class section that comes down above the steering wheel.. Had that on one of my A class 25 years back. Most RV's have (dependant on size) have either an east / west or a north / south bed.. The settee often (rock and roll) makes another double bed and often the dinette makes yet another double... Even in my small RV (B Class) see the link in red below to see what I am talking about... that RV is only 23'9" long and we haul a car trailer and a family car... BUT fuel is not cheap.. even if you have LPG fitted.. the 30' plus size do come in diesel's and I know for example Dodgey on this site has a 28' diesel Winnebago.

You get a lot for your money in a yank.. but you do have to remember the fuel... certainly no fighting for space in side.. nearly all of them have a decent A&E awning and if you are looking to go over to Morocco you will need it.. plus they have roof air conditioners as standard and a decent fridge and freezer that run off LPG (o board tanks).. there are down sides as well as up's but worth looking at some and seeing what is on offer. Then look at Europeans.. they tend to be smaller and less well equipped (not all) OK more miles to gallon, but less room.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Might it be best to stick with what you have got?

For UK travel, use a A frame.

When abroad pick your sites carefully so you don't need transport and hire a car for when you do.

Just my uneducated opinion:thumb:

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
American RV's do not go up in value despite what some may say.. but when they reach a certain figure they tend to bottom out... some of the RV's have a bed in the roof of the A class section that comes down above the steering wheel.. Had that on one of my A class 25 years back. Most RV's have (dependant on size) have either an east / west or a north / south bed.. The settee often (rock and roll) makes another double bed and often the dinette makes yet another double... Even in my small RV (B Class) see the link in red below to see what I am talking about... that RV is only 23'9" long and we haul a car trailer and a family car... BUT fuel is not cheap.. even if you have LPG fitted.. the 30' plus size do come in diesel's and I know for example Dodgey on this site has a 28' diesel Winnebago.

You get a lot for your money in a yank.. but you do have to remember the fuel... certainly no fighting for space in side.. nearly all of them have a decent A&E awning and if you are looking to go over to Morocco you will need it.. plus they have roof air conditioners as standard and a decent fridge and freezer that run off LPG (o board tanks).. there are down sides as well as up's but worth looking at some and seeing what is on offer. Then look at Europeans.. they tend to be smaller and less well equipped (not all) OK more miles to gallon, but less room.

I have looked at American RVs and did consider them but as you say the fuel consumpion is not good but more importantly most do not have 3 point seatbelts and I would never put my son in a lap belt especially when the seat is side on.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not so

I have looked at American RVs and did consider them but as you say the fuel consumpion is not good but more importantly most do not have 3 point seatbelts and I would never put my son in a lap belt especially when the seat is side on.

Many RV's have facing and rear facing seats.. I have them in mine .. the dinette.. in fact my RV has 7 belted positions and many have three point or full harness if required...

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you are wanting to 'wild camp' best with a motorhome rather than a 5ver, be aware that some sites do not want our units on them and to pull up and stay a while in a quiet spot is one thing you cant do with a 5ver they are a little too conspicuous , In europe with a motorhome you can use aires if you want.Over here we use CL/CS (5 van sites) but you do have to check access carefully on some of them

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
one thing you have discounted is the de-mountables they give the freedom of a small motorhome if you fit one to a dual cab 4x4 pickup you can go wild camping where normal motorhomes can only dream of and if you wish you can take it off the pickup if on a proper site.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
one thing you have discounted is the de-mountables they give the freedom of a small motorhome if you fit one to a dual cab 4x4 pickup you can go wild camping where normal motorhomes can only dream of and if you wish you can take it off the pickup if on a proper site.

Far to small for what we want. We do like our home comforts and space. but we do like the idea of them in principle

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think demounts are too small for three and too heavy if you had a big one built .
as for wilding ,i do it all the time in mine .possibly only been on 6 campsites in 12 years .
far easier than towing an aframe and if you get the right set up carry 7 people and still only have a tow unit the size of a big car.
best thing is if turned away from a campsite then park somewhere else if police come say get me a campsite . you win either way. i have never been asked to move in uk. or france . spain is funny some years they do others they leave you alone . but have fun . i know what i would choose.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

we are at present, wild camping in Portugal with a de-mountable camper--this unit works REALLY well for us (2)-----the only drawback is that for a big, fully equiped unit to spend a long time in (several months in our case) you MUST have an American dually (or similar) for the weight------------------we LOVE ours and don't miss our 5er at-all while in the camper----but do use the same truck for the 5er in the summer in the UK------------while on 'holiday' we tend to spend most of our time on small mountain roads/tracks, these are not so good with the 5er.
feel free to PM us if you need any info.
Have you visited 'cross country RVs' in Mildenhall, a good Co. to deal with, and he can import any sort of 5er from US for you at very good prices, he usually does carry some stock.
Nigel & Pamala--------Portugal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back