Washing the beast (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I did this for the first time today - Autocruise Starburst low profile - and can't say I enjoyed it! Clambered onto the roof [after checking with instruction booklet that was ok] using stepladder. Splashed out [sorry!] on a 'special motorhome shampoo' at £8.99 a litre...

Can't say I was that keen on doing it and would prefer to have someone else have the pleasure! Do you do it yourself? If not where do you take yours?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I did this for the first time today - Autocruise Starburst low profile - and can't say I enjoyed it! Clambered onto the roof [after checking with instruction booklet that was ok] using stepladder. Splashed out [sorry!] on a 'special motorhome shampoo' at £8.99 a litre...

Can't say I was that keen on doing it and would prefer to have someone else have the pleasure! Do you do it yourself? If not where do you take yours?

I agree it's a lousy job doing the roof, I ended up in hospital on one occasion, stupidly :Doh:

Trouble is if you leave the roof then you get loads more black streaks down the sides.

Brian

Upvote 0

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
The thought of lying spread eagled on the roof cleaning does not appeal, but someone has to do it....

Shirl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The thought of lying spread eagled on the roof cleaning does not appeal, but someone has to do it....

Shirl

The problem with our van and many others is that the roof is cluttered with rooflights, tv aeriels, sat domes and solar panels plus the over cab area cant take walking over, all making it difficult to move around safely wthout damaging anything.

Brian

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I do our Elddis 155 low line at home.
I have one of those brushes that attach to hose lock and hold /distribute the shampoo (Autoglym) as you wash. The centre of the brush head rotates with the water pressure as you wash. Still have to climb up a ladder but I can reach the centre of the roof without having to get on top. Even so, it's still a pain in the bum (and wrists).

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I am lucky I suppose as the park where we store our vehicle has a big industrial step ladder system with a large standing platform on the top so I can stand on the platform and wash the roof fairly easily. A water supply is nearby along with a hose and several different types of brushes.

Wash one side of the roof and vehicle, turn it around and do the other side.:thumb:

Mind you it's still a pain in the A*s having to do it at least twice a year. (Spring & Autumn):thumbdown:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a tall stepladder from which, by moving it round, I could reach the whole of the roof on our Autoquest to clean it using Onedrywash spray and microfibre cloths. Haven't done the roof of the Burstner yet but as it's no wider don't envisage a problem.

Upvote 0

RubyVan

Free Member
Oct 2, 2010
Market Harborough Leics
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
14yrs but tuger for over 20yrs previos
washing

Agree with GJH cleaning the top of van easy with OneDryWash not only gives a good finish but does the job much more quickly than wet washing with hose or bucket and an extra spot of spray removes all trace of bird droppings with one wipe

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
In the old days we used to put boys up chimneys. Perhaps now is the time to start putting them on motorhome roofs? Scared the wotsits out of me - soapy water, 2.5 metres off the ground, on a 10% slope...

Anyone used this service? http://www.tourershine.co.uk/

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I do my own then I know it is done right But a good six hours, but it is 40' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: two days to polish.

90% autoglym products.

All the best Rick

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I intended to 'wash the beast' this morning but the water was cold and it disappeared.:Doh:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In the old days we used to put boys up chimneys. Perhaps now is the time to start putting them on motorhome roofs? Scared the wotsits out of me - soapy water, 2.5 metres off the ground, on a 10% slope...

Anyone used this service? http://www.tourershine.co.uk/

I used to pay my boys a (small) fee to wash the roof of mine. However they are grown up now so have to do it myself (infrequently):Sad:

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I just get on top clean the roof and get wet in the process.
Jim
:RollEyes:

Yep. Same here. Always barefooted though - so not in winter - as whatever footwear you have could hold small stones in the tread and scratch the paintwork; if you had a small stone stuck to your foot you'd know about it. Also bare feet provide much better grip than just about anything man made.
The neighbours probably think I'm nuts up on the roof in a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt with a hose-brush and a bucket of shampoo::bigsmile:

John

Upvote 0

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
rooftops

hi funsters, washing the roof! i had forgotten up there. i have to stand on steps to reach the roof of my wifes peugeot 127....... since christmas i have been washing the bus off
a bit at a time, one wheel per week building up to a full wash anytime now , due to the fact that we will be going to sunny skeggy on the 19th.
but, thanks for reminding me that there is also a roof. regards pete.:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Just washed mine for the first time using a "waterless wash," spray it on, rub it off and polish with a clean cloth. As mh has not been washed for 2 years it was hard work, but the door I got the salesman to do for me a couple of weeks ago was a breeze so I expect it to be easier when next I wash it.
I did the roof as well, climbed up the ladder at rear of mh and washed the roof, no water, no wet, no sliding about - simplesssssssss.

Sadly though noticed roof light is cracked and would benefit from a replacement. Have to source one from somewhere.

Norman

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
went to Sainburys yesterday and couple of blokes were offering car wash and polish service from £10 in the carpark .

Mmm thinks I...wonder if they want to try the RV. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Just washed mine for the first time using a "waterless wash," spray it on, rub it off and polish with a clean cloth. As mh has not been washed for 2 years it was hard work, but the door I got the salesman to do for me a couple of weeks ago was a breeze so I expect it to be easier when next I wash it.
I did the roof as well, climbed up the ladder at rear of mh and washed the roof, no water, no wet, no sliding about - simplesssssssss.

Sadly though noticed roof light is cracked and would benefit from a replacement. Have to source one from somewhere.

Norman

Hi Norman
I have just done my roof with the waterless cleaner worked my way around the motorhome and as you say hard work but well pleased with the result:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back