Niesmann and Bischoff Arto 6 birth (1 Viewer)

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
3 month's on from first looking for a motorhome and we still do not have one even though we plan to start travelling in 2 month's time.
We have found a lovely Niesmann and Bischoff Arto 2007. It has nearly every extra fitted, Satellite dish, 2 tvs, silent generator, double floor. Has anyone had or got one of these or know anything good or bad about them.
We only need it for 3 or 4 persons but as we plan to travel around Europe in the next 2 years would like to travel in comfort. We plan to be away for 6 weeks at a time probably 4 times a year. May even try Morocco
Regards
Peter

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Nice vans, but having a six berth if you don't need to sleep that number doesn't necessarily mean it is more spacious or comfortable for a lesser number. For example a 4 or even 2 berth may be the same size but will probably have a permanent bed or more spacious shower or whatever. At my storage place the van next door to my (4 berth - two permanent double beds) is a six berth but 8ft shorter and a bit cramped, and the beds are made up piecemeal out of assorted seat cushions with a lot of joins, which is no joke on a long trip.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We do not need a 6 birth as such but need a largish motorhome with 4, 3 point seatbelts. The Arto has a U shaped lounge at the back which we will have made up as a double bed perminant and our 11 year old handicapped son can have the drop down bed above the front seats. We need 2 tvs as he loves his Xbox and sky tv and the silent generator will be good to run them were ever we are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Peter

Something to ponder...

My concern would be the cost of replacing the windscreen, especially if planning on visiting Moroc.

The main roads are generally good, but off the beaten track there are many un tarred roads with lots of stones .. 'A Class' screens cost an arm and a leg.. in the event of a breakage you could be stranded for weeks waiting on a replacement..

If you do buy ensure you have unlimited glass cover.. Other than that, nice vans..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Personally I love the van' well built and a layout that may work for you but be sure first.
I take on board Jims comments but, you can't live your life wondering about the possibility of something happening.
I don't carry 4 spare wheels even though theres a possibilty of having all my tyres slashed. :winky:

Go for it, and njoy it and remember something I just read today on another funsters signiture (Rayb)

"Memories last longer that Dreams"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I take on board Jims comments but, you can't live your life wondering about the possibility of something happening.
I don't carry 4 spare wheels even though theres a possibilty of having all my tyres slashed. :winky:

Go for it, and njoy it and remember something I just read today on another funsters signiture (Rayb)

"Memories last longer that Dreams"

true haggers, you can't carry four spares, but you won't be stranded for possible weeks waiting for tyres, and they won't cost you more than an arm..

My RV did not have a spare wheel (that's quite common) but knowing I may be far from help in Moroc or even Spain, I bought a wheel and tyre, also carried a spare tyre and a puncture repair kit .. and practised repairing and changing ..
The prudent traveller considers all possible things that could go wrong and plans how to handle them.. not wait until they happen then cry about it.. a signature line is no help then.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Peter, the N&B is generally accepted as being a very well built quality motorhome.

The only thing I would say is regarding the layout, give it a great deal of thought and try to immagine you and your family in all possible situations as far as sitting, relaxing, sleeping & cooking etc whatever the weather.

Hope you get fixed soon,

Best wishes, Brian

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Check the weight (MAM) at which it is plated. When we were looking at them about four years ago, the then sales team at Browhills made a big deal of the fact that they came in at 3,500 kg so could be driven on a recent licence. If that is the case, I doubt whether it will have the payload for 3 or 4 people to tour for extended periods.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Check the weight (MAM) at which it is plated. When we were looking at them about four years ago, the then sales team at Browhills made a big deal of the fact that they came in at 3,500 kg so could be driven on a recent licence. If that is the case, I doubt whether it will have the payload for 3 or 4 people to tour for extended periods.

A good point and a definate to look into.. Payload can be more important than space in some cases... We looked at this model a few years ago, they are quite specific for the Uk market with rear U lounge. Not many around..

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Payload

As far as I can find out as standard it has a 360kg pay load.
Not sure if it has a uprated chassis etc as the man selling it does not even know what model it is or the engine size but he has owned it since new and had all the extra's fitted when he bought it.
I have not viewed it yet but hope to over the weekend as it is 240 miles away.
What has to be included in the 360kgs?
People
silent generator
extra tv
Awning
Microwave
bike rack
anything else that we put into the motorhome

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This may be of use..
Link Removed

It does look like 3500kg gross with a 350kg payload..
If that is the case, take off all the fitted extras and it leaves very little for you to remain legal..!...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As far as I can find out as standard it has a 360kg pay load.
Not sure if it has a uprated chassis etc as the man selling it does not even know what model it is or the engine size but he has owned it since new and had all the extra's fitted when he bought it.
I have not viewed it yet but hope to over the weekend as it is 240 miles away.
What has to be included in the 360kgs?
People
silent generator
extra tv
Awning
Microwave
bike rack
anything else that we put into the motorhome

You will be amazed how much weight is involved with all the every day necessities you need including food, cuttlery, crockery, clothes, bedding, awnings, bikes and loads more. 350 Kg is not much for a family.

It seems strange the owner does not know the engine size which is shown in the registration document & he would have needed for insurance,

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Its hard to get him to find and read the logbook as it is to get any other info out of him. He seems to think as its being sold at a good price people should just turn up and hand over the money. He wants me to drive a 480 mile round trip instead of finding the info up beforehand as its easier for him.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't forget the people (except the driver) have to be included in the payload, and the driver is only allowed 70kg so I'm 30kg over with just me. 4 average weight adults comes to 280kg even without their stuff.

The gross weight can almost certainly be uprated if your licence allows you to drive a heavier vehicle.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Its hard to get him to find and read the logbook as it is to get any other info out of him. He seems to think as its being sold at a good price people should just turn up and hand over the money. He wants me to drive a 480 mile round trip instead of finding the info up beforehand as its easier for him.

Peter, are you sure it's his van?

Have you got the reg number and checked it out. It's a long way to go on a wasted trip.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
I am certain its his there has been no hard sell infact most people would have given up trying to buy it his description in his advert was terrible. I do know he is short on money and does need to sell it but you would never know it by his inability to comunicate

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
360 kg is simply not enough for three adults to travel with anything much more than spare underwear and a toothbrush. As you mentioned in your first post that the van has been fitted with loads of extras, that all has to be taken off the 'standard' payload. This includes for example, things like second leisure battery, wind-out awning, satellite dish, power cell (I think you mentioned) and if it has an engine upgrade, that could weigh more too. 3,500 kg will only carry a very small A-class and still leave sensible payload. You need to be looking at somewhere around 3,800 - 4,200 kg for a usable 4-6 berth. In fact, many 6-berths are more likely to be nearer to 5 tonnes if you want to carry a load of full-timing gear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back