£80,000 camper van goes up in flames (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hopefully insured... and not a Funsters..

March 09, 2012

An £80,000 camper van was destroyed in a blaze after what firefighters believe was an electrical fault in Tilehurst on Wednesday night.

Crews from Dee Road and Caversham Road stations were called to Waverley Road after the six-wheeler caught alight at around 6.30pm.

Police cordoned off the road in both directions between St George’s Road and Tilehurst Road.

Firefighters entered the van with breathing apparatus and used two hose reels to finally extinguish the flames.

Other source,

NEIGHBOURS rushed to the rescue of a family in west Reading when their £80,000 camper van caught alight last night.

The couple and their teenage son were inside their Waverley Road home when homeowners nearby noticed that their Auto-Trail Fiat Ducato - which was parked outside on the road - was on fire.

Dee Road fire crew were called at 7.30pm and spent 45 minutes at the scene.

Firefighter John Rumble said: "Basically the owners were in and the campervan was on the road outside. Residents knocked on their door and told them it was on fire, so they called us.

"We think it was an electrical fault behind the driver's seat because that was where the damage mainly was, but that's only speculation.

"Luckily we don't think it's a total write-off. There was a lot of heat and the camper van is worth about £80,000."

Crew manager Mike Wilson, from Dee Road fire station, said: “The flames were coming out of the windows and there was a lot of smoke blowing down the street. We had the fire out in minutes and then stripped out the internals.

“There was some damage to the front, but most of the damage was internal.

“We think it was an electrical fault that started on the driver’s side where the batteries are and it spread through the van from there.”

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Like the idea that flames were coming out of the windows and the firemen stripped out the internals, but they don't think its a write off :whatthe:

They make a big play of it being £80,000 but is it new or is that what it cost 10years ago, and is it of any relevance to the story anyway. I think its like the papers always like to put people ages whether relevant or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Instead of knocking the unfortuanate owners who may have lost a good deal of money as insurance companies rarely pay out the 'real' value to the owners, think of the hassle, negotiation and time that will be wasted trying to get back to what they had.

My sympathies go out to them and If they happen to be "FUN" members
we should be looking how to help them!!

Cydersyd.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Instead of knocking the unfortuanate owners who may have lost a good deal of money as insurance companies rarely pay out the 'real' value to the owners, think of the hassle, negotiation and time that will be wasted trying to get back to what they had.

Cydersyd.

?????

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Cydersyd.

Indeed if they are members or anyone knew them we would be Syd.

But I cant see anyone knocking them? only questions relating to the value of their weekend bungalow?:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My thought is what caused the fire..

Can only go on the report and that's mostly speculation.. but from that it would appear to be a battery fire under the drivers seat ..

if so, was it on hook-up.. ? and if so was it a faulty charger ? and if so what was the source of ignition.. a lose connection .. ? .. a product defect ? .. lots of questions that need answers.. no doubt the insurers will be asking..

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Another FIAT/SEVEL fault?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

It happens to Hymer too..........

"Hymer electrical fire, close call...

Hello all,

travelling over the Cuillin on Skye last week when there was a loud crack under the passenger seat, sparks, lots of smoke and smell of burning.

Fortunately able to pull into a lay-by instantly, chuck wife, sprog and dog out and break out the Lidl's fire extinguisher. Maybe should have run and hid?

The insulation to the leisure battery under the seat was ablaze, so I put that out. The extinguisher ran out, and then the wiring to the transformer/rectifier under the driver's seat got going!

Manage to switch off box and pull out a handful of wiring, plugs and fuses (all in the space of about 10 seconds, I hasten to add) then stood back and hoped for the best.

It all calmed down eventually, but all the wiring under the cab seats is a melted mess.

Disconnected everything to do with habitation electrics from the engine battery and proceeded with an acute sense of smell to the nearest fire-extinguisher shop in Portree for a replacement. Then rented a cottage! Van still driveable, but obviously nothing from the cab back works.

Very lucky escape for us all, but the consequences could be dire.

Any thoughts or comments as to cause or what to do next would be welcome. Insurance company has been informed, and we wait to see what the claims department make of it...

Otherwise it was a jolly good holiday!"
Pasted from another forum

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It happens to Hymer too..........

Hymers also use the Fiat chassis .. but we can only speculate, there may be no connection between the two incidents... but what a lucky escape, could have been very nasty.. :Sad:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had a CF Autosleeper go up in similar circumstances 7 years ago. The fire people said the seat of the fire was behind the steering column cowel. It was not on EHU. It has stood from November and the fire was in February. It was foggy, so could have been damp or mice, or even a combination of both.

The curtains went up but the rest of the van didn't. I dashed out with a hose and just got to the drivers window when it shattered. Firemen arived at that point and it was out in a second.

Total write off because of smoke damage.

This February on Vouvray Aire we were using our inverter to power the Sky box. We switched off the Sky box but couldn't get the inverter to turn off. I dashed outside in the snow and opened the battery locker where the inverter was also housed. I could smell burning so I shouted for Joan to get me a screw driver. I quiclky emptied the locker and as I lifted the inverer on its mounting board up to disconect it, there was a crack and smoke started to pour out of it just then the internal alarm in the inverter went off for a second as I got the power off it and all was well. Joan had the fire extinguisher ready but we didn't use it.

When I got back to the UK I stripped the inverter and a capacitor had blown and the board was charred at that point. It was minus 11c in France and our leisure batteries had been playing up. We had been running the Gasparini to keep the batteries up.

I can only put the battery problem and this one down to the extreme cold as the batteries tested as fine when we got back to the UK.

We were quick enough to deal with the problem, this time, as we were in the Motorhome.

A new 2000w inverter is going to cost £410. I asked for a quote for a new circuit board and it was more than the price of a new inverter. Much cheaper than replacing our home as we are full timing. Until then we are on hookup using CLs and CSs. I now have two cooling fans to put in the fridge vent if I wish from the scrap inverter.

The moral is keep a screw driver and spanner handy in case of trouble.

John

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Another Fiat/Sevel fault? Can I have some facts? I believe a Peugot Boxer is a Sevel and would like to know what faults I am not aware of please
Thanks in anticipation
Tony:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Lucky man. Its a good job that you knew what you were doing as I wouldn't have had a clue. Glad your both ok.
Jim

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Blimey..... how's that happen? Old thread pop up again I mean....

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We knew a country garage owner years ago who made a fortune getting first refusal on all accident damaged write off VW Campers from the Guardian (who insured shedloads of them) and tarting them up for resale - if he wouldn't be able to do that cheaply then he didn't buy them. There was a fire at Bingley Hall in Brum years ago during the annual Caravan & Camping show and none of the Campers were physically damaged, just smoke damaged but being brand new when they got to the hall no way could the dealer flog em for top dollar.

However it transpired that quite a number only needed a darn good wash on the outside - and that paid nicely for his indoor swimming pool Ta very much .......

(My first husband who'd known the guy for years, was roped in at one time to persuade the wife that their son wishing to buy a motorbike wasn't 'A Really Bad Idea, Honestly' - as Dad wasn't having much success changing her mind - and he'd like another one too please! ROFL)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Someone restarted it... ;)

JJ :cool:

nope that dont work...my post was the first after Broken Link Removeda's dated 2012. what I meant was, how did it arrive in recent posts after all his time..I would not of answered it otherwise, as only tend to look on "recent" post section.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
ha ha ha..I will be more circumspect in future!:sleep: