Clutch Claw (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Has anyone used a Clutch Claw device on their van? Do you consider them effective? Any related comments gratefully received.

Thanks

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Has anyone used a Clutch Claw device on their van? Do you consider them effective? Any related comments gratefully received.

Thanks

We have had one for years. It works very well and is secure. The biggest problem we have is getting it on and off, squeezing between the seat and stearing wheel head down. It can have a battery powered flashing light but we haven't bothered to fit the battery.

We have a sticker on the window saying we have one fitted.

They do not work with Autoclutch or Automatic no clutch setups, as they fit around both pedals, or foul the autoclutch mechanism.

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A simple but brilliant piece of kit. Only drawback is that its difficult to fit and remove from inside the cab. Far easier to do from outside through the open door. can be a bit awkward, but worth it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is a lot easier with an immobiliser and alarm

It is a lot easier to have a decent alarm and immobiliser fitted.

Click the button and job done.

Bob:Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All the land rover guys fit Disklocs around here :thumb: they say they are good :thumb: They must be because not many unknown LRs survive a night without one around here :winky:
terry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Havn't got a Clutch Claw, but then I havn't got a clutch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry. :Blush:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
It is a lot easier to have a decent alarm and immobiliser fitted.

Click the button and job done.

Bob:Blush:
They fail go off in the middle of the night or early morning on sites waking everyone up and nobody takes any bloody notice of them because they think its failing again, the clutch claw is not hard to fit from outside the van if you modify it slightly just cut the holed shalf down slightly but think of this if its hard to get on for the owner who has the key just think how hard its going to be to get off without :thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
My only comment would be that most post manufactured mechanical means of securing a vehicle are at best a short term solution. A thief will find a way around them all and tests have shown that all can be removed in a few seconds by a competent criminal. Having said that they are designed to deter an opportunist as they slow them down, so for this application they work.
It therefore depends on what you are expecting from this device, it won't stop the thief who is stealing your van to order, but then not much will, nor will it stop the thief who wants the stuff you have inside, money, laptop, sat-nav etc. There is probably little you can do save fitting a safe to deter the opportunist from having a go, even an alarm is useless if you leave things in plain view.
With security you need to ask yourself some basic questions about what you want to protect and what is real value is to you, insurance will replace things but cannot replace memories or the feeling of being violated.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bit outdated on the security front. Quite easily removed, in fact easier than using the key.

The newer version is the pedal box which locks over all the pedals. The best visual deterant is the disclok which covers the whole steering wheel.

For budget price, a Fortress steering bar can be bought for £20 and is resonable, though not perfect in design.

A disclok will look efficient, couple that with a door strap and a decent fiamma lock on the hab door - which to be honest, is the one they will go for as it offers least resistance!

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Reason for asking the question:

As I travel on my own mostly, I would like to park the van up (e.g. on an Aire) and go off for the day. I do have a small safe installed. I don't generally leave things lying around. I'd like to use an effective deterrant to hopefully make the thief consider stealing someone else's van:winky:.

So up to now the Diskloc seems the most effective.

Thanks (once again) for your comments.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Your logic sounds impeccable, a visual deterrent should make your motor home less attractive, especially if there are others without such deterrents. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some ages back there was a steering lock gadget available that electrocuted the thief (and possibly the owner by mistake) almost certainly illegal though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back