Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi, new to this forum but not others (Ducatis).

Thinking of getting my Apache down plated to 3500kgs so the kids can drive, payload will drop to circa 400kgs just wondered has anybody come over any issues doing this ?
Thanks
Paul

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Any answers to this might save us a whole load of dosh as we are 4.02 ton and want a 3.5ton as Tez is going to be 70 in 3 years and we are worried about the medical required to drive our MH, I am younger but find it too big to drive so I would only drive it in extreme circumstances , saying that I have driven it in France as the roads are much better there.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I have found the official firm who does it and the cost is only £100.00 plus vat, he has sent me the process and its all quite simple.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
SvTech will do it, just a paper exercise.:thumb:

The only problem is the loss of payload, and the increased Road Tax of going to PLG from PHGV. This could be as much as £100 a year, how much the medical?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You dont need to pay anyone to Down Rate just apply to your local DVLA they are more than happy to change registration document for you
As already said it robs your payload
Uprating is another matter entirley and you will need the services of Svtec

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looking again, could you cope with only 400kg payload.:Eeek: Less than half of what you have now. I would suggest looking for a smaller van at 3500 but with a larger payload.

Speaking for myself, I weigh 100kg and a full water tank 120kg. With the Mrs and gas bottles the payload would be largely gone before you'd packed anything at all. ( Obviously you are probably a lot lighter but just as an illustration).

SvTech mainly put the weights up, I have just had mine increased from 3880 to 4000, not a lot but every little bit helps.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
you may want to re check your maths on the unladen weight..
the spec on a 2005 model unladen is 3180kg Plus if you have the se model with a 4 mtr awning thats another 40kg off the payload.. So your base vehicle could be 3220 before you start..
3500 - 3220. gives you only 280 payload...
Also remember any other items you have added will have to be deducted from the payload ie, extra or bigger batteries, sat dishes, solar panels, bike racks..

I suggest go get on a weighbridge first and see what it all weighs now, you may get a shock...

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
you may want to re check your maths on the unladen weight..
the spec on a 2005 model unladen is 3180kg Plus if you have the se model with a 4 mtr awning thats another 40kg off the payload.. So your base vehicle could be 3220 before you start..
3500 - 3220. gives you only 280 payload...
Also remember any other items you have added will have to be deducted from the payload ie, extra or bigger batteries, sat dishes, solar panels, bike racks..

I suggest go get on a weighbridge first and see what it all weighs now, you may get a shock...

Yes good shout that, mine so say is 3.8 so worth a weigh session just to check.
SV Tech worth the cost if i proceed just for ease.
They said tax will go down to PLG, from what though ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
the cost of your road tax will Increase...
Vehicles over 3500kg are classed as phgv. £165 a year...
under 3500 costs more.. !!! Not sure on exact price but £210 ish maybe.. someone will know..

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I had mine downplated to 3500 from 3700, using svtec. Yes the tax is more (perversely) but the reasons for doing this is not just driving licence.

In many countries speed limits are lower if over 3500kg, tolls are higher and in some countries (austria, switzerland and others) the procedure is different and more complicated. In some countries vehicles over 3500 are restricted as to which lanes they are allowed to drive in, and which roads they are allowed on. There are many miles of 2 lane motorway in Germany in which vehicles over 3500 are restricted to the inside lane with the lorries.

All in all life is much simpler if you are under 3500 kg.

But obviously you need to satisfy yourself that you can live with the reduced payload. Manufacturer's stated unladen weight is meant to INCLUDE 90% full (I think) fuel, water and 1 gas cylinder, and 75kg for the driver. So in theory you should not need to count the weight of water, or the driver, in your 400kg. But the only way to be sure is a weighbridge.

We decided not go go for the 3ltr engine (saves 50kg) and not to have an awning (saves 35kg)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had mine downplated to 3500 from 3700, using svtec. Yes the tax is more (perversely) but the reasons for doing this is not just driving licence.

In many countries speed limits are lower if over 3500kg, tolls are higher and in some countries (austria, switzerland and others) the procedure is different and more complicated. In some countries vehicles over 3500 are restricted as to which lanes they are allowed to drive in, and which roads they are allowed on. There are many miles of 2 lane motorway in Germany in which vehicles over 3500 are restricted to the inside lane with the lorries.

All in all life is much simpler if you are under 3500 kg.

But obviously you need to satisfy yourself that you can live with the reduced payload. Manufacturer's stated unladen weight is meant to INCLUDE 90% full (I think) fuel, water and 1 gas cylinder, and 75kg for the driver. So in theory you should not need to count the weight of water, or the driver, in your 400kg. But the only way to be sure is a weighbridge.

We decided not go go for the 3ltr engine (saves 50kg) and not to have an awning (saves 35kg)

and how can you tell the difference without examining the vin plate ?

the physical appearance is no different to what it was and plod aint going to pull you over 'just in case' you are in the wrong lane or going a little too fast for the weight. :Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Uprating is another matter entirley and you will need the services of Svtec

Hi Geo.

My V5C does not accurately reflect the weight information posted inside my mh. Basically this is a cock up by DVLA and as I see it all that I need to do is visit a local DVLA office, demonstrate the true weight of my mh and have them re-issue an ammended V5C.

Why would I need the services of Svtec.

Jim
:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
having looked at this thread i am interested in uprating the train weight for my van so i can get a trailer instead of the a frame.
is this the same procedure or a different one as i am not wanting to up the weight of the van just the amount i can tow with it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm afraid you can't uprate the train weight, in the same way you can't uprate the axle weights (unless you change/modify the axles). If you uprate the MGW it must still be within the sum of the axle weights and if it comes close loading becomes critical if you are not going to exceed one of the axle weights.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in fact it may be possible . but it depends on the axles . they should have a known weight sometimes stamped on the axles . some vehicles are down plated on registration in uk. the train weight may have got lowered as well . normally the train is left at the original max . do it all the time . always worth a visit to your local dvla center first as last . very often it can be just a paper exercise. the thing with using svtec is gareth up there is magic at knowing all the bits . wish i was as good as him.
we need to know more details on axle, gvw, etc to give better info.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Don't know if this applies to you but, when we purchased our latest M/H, which was pre owned, DVLA had stated it was 3500Kg, but in fact it was really 3850Kg.

When I enquired why this had happened I was told it was because it was up-rated when it was on Private Plates, when it was put back onto the original plates it was down-rated to it's original weight of 3500Kg.

I contacted ALKO who sent me a new weight form and I did the neccessary with DVLA, it was also re-plated PHGV and therefore I now pay a lower road fund licence. Total cost £75 (to ALKO) for the weight certificate, was advised by ALKO that I could go up to 4000Kg if I wanted to as that is what the chassis is capable of.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
useful info.
It wont help the original poster as the 700 does not have an Alko chassis.
The thread does open up lots of information on the subject and there isn't a single answer.
Pvw10 what year is your 700.?

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In answer to papajon I will not base decisions on "well it doesn't matter about breaking the law because I am unlikely to get caught", which appears to be his philosophy.

There are speed and surveilance cameras in more and more places so I don't share his confidence anyway. These don't depend on visual inspection but on whats in the registration databases.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. but it does depend on the vehicle . if its been down rated so could its trainweight . more info needed giving an answer is easy with all the right weights etc .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Geo.

My V5C does not accurately reflect the weight information posted inside my mh. Basically this is a cock up by DVLA and as I see it all that I need to do is visit a local DVLA office, demonstrate the true weight of my mh and have them re-issue an ammended V5C.

Why would I need the services of Svtec.

Jim

Me thinks so too:thumb:
By vitue of it already having a higher rated plate I assume it has two plates?? original and up rated one
SVtech's services are only needed when its a first time up rate,they will check vehicle specs and issue an up rated plate to suite, there services seem to be recognized by DVLA
Any one doing a down rate jobby would be wise to remove the higher rated plate and keep it safe, Vosa will use the plate actually on the vehicle not the V5

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Agreed, VOSA will use the plate on the vehicle, but also the info on their database, which, if different, could cause a problem.The info on the LEZ, congestion charging, new system proposed for the dartford Crossing etc, will all charge according to what is on the DVLA database, it also needs to be accurate for road fund licence pricing.
Do whatever suits you regarding replating, but make sure those who NEED to know, know about it, or you could give yourself a problem, maybe even just explaining it when you sell.

Just to illustrate my point,...a poster has EXACTLY the same make / model/ year/engine MH as me.........he is exempt from the LEZ and can go into London, I CANNOT,...............he is 3500....I am 3850.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Beware when down plating don't forget you and your passengers come out of the payload plus of course all the usual bits water clothes food etc 400kg aint much payload........think my misses carrys that in clothes and food alone :RollEyes:

All the best Rick

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
useful info.
It wont help the original poster as the 700 does not have an Alko chassis.
The thread does open up lots of information on the subject and there isn't a single answer.
Pvw10 what year is your 700.?

Hi there,
some interesting stuff coming out here.
Its a 2003 pre facelift, 127bhp jobby.
Thanks
Paul

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Me thinks so too:thumb:
By vitue of it already having a higher rated plate I assume it has two plates?? original and up rated one
SVtech's services are only needed when its a first time up rate,they will check vehicle specs and issue an up rated plate to suite, there services seem to be recognized by DVLA
Any one doing a down rate jobby would be wise to remove the higher rated plate and keep it safe, Vosa will use the plate actually on the vehicle not the V5

It actually has three plates, one on the cab and two in the habitation area and they are all the same. I'm just trying to get some decent photos of them before I visit the DVLA in Chester.
Thanks
Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In answer to papajon I will not base decisions on "well it doesn't matter about breaking the law because I am unlikely to get caught", which appears to be his philosophy.

There are speed and surveilance cameras in more and more places so I don't share his confidence anyway. These don't depend on visual inspection but on whats in the registration databases.
you miss my point.....

there is no difference between 3500kg and a higher 3850kg speed limits.

all 'none car derived vans' are classed as goods vehicles and must abide by the speed limits for goods vehicles weighing less than 7500kg....

Goods vehicles
(under 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
built up area = 30mph (48kh)
single carriageway = 50mph (80kh)
dual carriageway = 60mph (96kh)
motorway = 70mph (112kh) If articulated, or towing a trailer, limit is 60 mph (96 km/h)

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Many thanks to all for the input, after some soul searching i have decided to stay as i am at 3.8.

Good support and interesting to !

Cheers

Paul
ps anybody found a way of getting side decals back to life, brighter ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back