Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
When I joined the forum a couple of months back I thought I might be retiring soon, but now it's definite, as of next month, so I've started looking around. I'm looking at buying privately, but would obviously like to get anything I'm interested in checked out. Is there some sort of list or register of people in different areas who do this on a commercial basis? I'm in Staffordshire if it helps.
Cheers, John

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I know the AA and RAC do vehicle checks and if I was buying a mh privately I certainly would get them to do a check. Otherwise I am sure a local garage would do a vehcile inspection for you.
As regards a habitation check, there have been many threads on this site about their varying ability to spot even the simplest of signs of damp. I would find a good motor homer or caravanner to go with you or if you don't have one I am sure there are funsters close to you who would gladly offer the benefit of their experience.

Good luck in your search and in your retriement. By the way have a look on the classified ads on mhf you might find something that will suit.

Norman

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

I have used these people. thet are not cheap but do a full inspection both habatation and mechanical plus all the finnance/accident stuff.

You could just get it ihad sevived which would be cheaper and it would have had a service but you would still need it checking out for being stolen etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Your first job, if buying privately is to get to know your market! Private sales can sometime be over priced, or the same as forecourt prices. You do need to bear in mind, though, that you are not getting the support & back-up a dealer would give you - so why pay for it.

You can then get an HPI done which will guarantee you purchase against any losses if it is stolen. You can then either take an experienced person with a damp meter, or even pay an engineer to look at the vehicle for you.

Mechanically, it should be pretty ok as most motorhomes do not do much mileage - that said, one that has a 'reasonable' amount would be preferrable to one with no mileage at all. Check that gears change and the speedo does not flicker - these can be signs of gearbox issues.

Check service history, tyres, and appliances are all working, and that the floor is solid. Damp meters can be sourced for £10 - you need to look at windows/rooflights for old sealer - if someone has sealer 10 years old, it may leak. Sealer should really be replaced regularly....and NOT with silicone...if there is silicone, walk away. Think smart, research well and take the Funster Checklist found in the downloads sections and you should be ok, really!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Excuse my ignorance - why do you say "not silicone"?
because it does not bond properly to plastic or painted surfaces and tends to leak

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Early Ducato's (1995 - 2005) have been known to require a new front cross member, They are known to rust out quite badly.

Not a big job to replace and mine only cost me £88 for the cross member and I did the job by the side of the road in less than 2 hours, needed a hand from my wife though to hold the radiator as it drops slightly.

Crawl under the body, at the front and have a good look at the cross member and if you are unsure either walk away, get them to change it or haggle and get a bargain.

Hope this helps in someway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one check i would advise...and worth the £20....is an HPI check.

this tells you if the van has outstanding financed or has been an insurance write-off among other thing.

once validated, HPI will reimburse you if it proves they were wrong and the vehicle is financed.

if you buy without checking and it is on finance, you have no right to ownership and it will be repossessed by the finance house without recompense.

HPI check

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I know the AA and RAC do vehicle checks and if I was buying a mh privately I certainly would get them to do a check. Otherwise I am sure a local garage would do a vehcile inspection for you.
As regards a habitation check, there have been many threads on this site about their varying ability to spot even the simplest of signs of damp. I would find a good motor homer or caravanner to go with you or if you don't have one I am sure there are funsters close to you who would gladly offer the benefit of their experience.

Good luck in your search and in your retriement. By the way have a look on the classified ads on mhf you might find something that will suit.

Norman

I have had the AA & RAC check cars I am selling for customers and I would never use them.........I sold a 6 year old Range Rover and the customer asked if he could have the AA check it I said no problem they wont find any thing I have not told you which will be done before you take delivery..........they came along and picked up all minor faults but two major ones they missed completely........one was an engine mounting and the other was the air conditioning wasn't working :RollEyes: he complained and didn't pay their bill.

A good independant that is fully insured is your best route.

All the best Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As Pappajohn states ALWAYS carry out an HPI check and pay the extra for the insurance I have had vehicles come up clear when tey are not......but with the insurance you are indemnified to the value of the insurance or motorhome which ever is the lower.

All the best Rick

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
get an official hpi check on the official hpi website for £10.50 including finance check..... Worked on 22/11/11

just enter promo code 2nn4-stzf-m2hg as above.... Saves £10 off the normal price of £20.97

http://www.hpicheck.com/

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If you follow Rainbow Chasers post you wont go far wrong. Make youself a little checklist of things that have been mentioned through the thread and dont forget the Motorhome Buyers Guide that can be found as a download on this site.

After you have seen a few motorhomes ask questions on the forum so that you are clear in your mind about what you are getting.

And, GOOD LUCK !!!!!
Jim
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back