Double Decker To Convert? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have, since the age of about 10, after watching Cliff Richard in Summer Holliday ,travelling through Europe in a converted Routemaster bus ,always wanted to have a go. :Smile:

Am i mad ? :thumb: I have even found a web site with S/H buses on there for small money.
I have space, the tools, the know how :whatthe:?
I have been looking at Autotrader at the £300k + Mercedes pro M/H`s there ---Nice .
Lot`s of blue halogen lamps,nightclub type interiors. :thumb:
Has anyone ever tackled such a project?
I better get back to work before i start spending ----:roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Double decker buses are fine in the movies but in reality were would you park it.
Not many campsites will have the excess or pitch to accommodate such a thing and it would stand out like a sore thumb wild camping.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wouldnt fancy driving it through Rouen:Blush::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There was a family who tried to do this a few years ago. I don't think they managed to get far due to practicality reasons.

I had a metrorider single decker bus and it was a pain to get around in. A double decker would have been a nightmare :Sad:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
well your first question was are you mad... so I will answer that first.. A resounding Yes.... however, you say you have the tools and knowedge etc so why not.

There is a couple on here that toured much of the world years ago in a converted bus. Love hearing there stories of there travels in it too.

So don't let madness hold you back, it never stopped Van Gough :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eunAH5LaRY&feature=related[/ame]

I couldn't find the opening theme , and got lost for ages looking at other old programs:Doh:
But i loved this , and always wanted a double decker bus when i was a child.
You would get plenty lounging space that's for sure. :thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Saw one in Aus, the Top Deck had been converted into a BBQ deck and Patio, However, Plenty of room in Aus, so it works there. Really can't see it working in Europe.:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am i mad ?

Yes..

it's a romantic dream that is totally impractical ..
as said, few sites, even if they were accessible will let it on..and no good for off site camping.

unfairly perhaps, but they are associated with new age travellers..

If you want something a bit different convert a small single decker coach or van and put on a roof terrace with an internal staircase... like the Airstream Skydeck

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is one goes to the biker does -converted food pizza/burgers etc, bottom deck and beds on the top deck ::bigsmile: No idea on mpg but would imagine around 12 ish
terry

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
saw this in france

Attachments

• france 2011 001.jpg
    france 2011 001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 52
  • france 2011 004.jpg
    france 2011 004.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 51
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The later model Routemasters were powered by Iveco but they used a transmission and braking system from a Centurion tank!
There was an Atlantean that appeared regularly at Glastonbury, in the last few years it has been towed on and off by a tractor
That Harry Webb and his mates aren't converting them any more:cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I recognise the Reg number, I lost my virginity upstairs on that bus....:roflmto:

Bloody careless... did you check down the back of the seats ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an acquaintance of mine from 30 years ago had a 'decker which had living upstairs (full timer) and a roadside snack bar downstairs.

anyone going to 'henge/Glastonbury 30 years back would probably have bought a coffee and burger from 'Busker' in his magic red bus....:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Back last summer there was an open top bus for sale on Ebay--the rear half open type.
I thought it would be great as a sunbathing/BBQ/ outside space for my dogs/cats.

No, there's no way I'd ever buy one, try to drive/park one, but it's nice to dream sometimes....

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bus for sale here:

Double Decker

:Smile:

This looks great. It seems a bargain too. You couldn't really wild camp in it though , bit too conspicuous .
Would sites let you on ?
It has never appealed to me to full time , unless i had no other option. But if i had to , one of these would be great , lots of space . Thats if you could find enough places to park , to keep moving on . Or you may as well live in a house.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The main picture on the ad. shows it on a campsite.
There are plenty that would let it on ( not Caravan Club, obviously... ::bigsmile: ).

It was originally converted by The Weller Family [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vq6oDbctqE"]Usonthebus[/ame].
The film shows them wildcamping at Hastings.

They did have a website detailing the build but it's gone now.

I think they gave up because they went to France in February and found it a bit cold. :RollEyes:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Y'know, I'd rather park next to that than next to one of our current neighbours who has washed his van three times in two weeks and has even been brushing and raking the hardstanding :Eeek:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
There was one at the Basingstoke Canal Site last weekend. The Guy had a recording studio on it and tours around recording local bands. He said he he is off touring Europe later and picking up musicians on the way.
He did say it was a b*gger to change a wheel when he had a flat tyre though.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Y'know, I'd rather park next to that than next to one of our current neighbours who has washed his van three times in two weeks and has even been brushing and raking the hardstanding :Eeek:

I parked next to one who was cleaning his tyres and foot pedal rubbers with a tooth brush!!:Eeek:--------PLEASE darling- -don`t let me get that bored-:shout:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
the toilets upstairs????

how do you get the cassette out of the side, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
if your serious about converting a dd bus and want to travel Europe, check out the bus's height . You need to be under 4.2 metres to go anywhere in europe. some countries are only 4.0 m

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If the DD is too high,How about this single decker ?
Link Removed
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. dont know about you lot but i remember going to see summer holiday at the flicks . we had just come back from a similar tour in an early vw. think i may have had my mind changed then. cliff got all around europe in a double decker .always fancied one . think summer holiday is the best touring and singing film ever made . inspired thousands .
you cant beat being loaded up go to catch the ferry with we,re all going on a summer holiday playing on the cassette or cd. sing it load it makes your heart beat go lovely. my kids now grown up with their own still sing it when going away . my grand kids love the film as well.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
hi. dont know about you lot but i remember going to see summer holiday at the flicks . we had just come back from a similar tour in an early vw. think i may have had my mind changed then. cliff got all around europe in a double decker .always fancied one . think summer holiday is the best touring and singing film ever made . inspired thousands .
you cant beat being loaded up go to catch the ferry with we,re all going on a summer holiday playing on the cassette or cd. sing it load it makes your heart beat go lovely. my kids now grown up with their own still sing it when going away . my grand kids love the film as well.

We have little un`s. A 2 and a 4 year old, whenever we go off just for weekend breaks they scrabble to get in the m/h door,run all weekend in fields and tracks.
On return journey with a cd on they sing (sort off)! all the way, then it`s crying and tears because they see our house appearing and they know they have to leave the m/h:cry:
UNTILL - the next trip :thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
the bus was owned by a french family so no problem traveling any where in europe

Attachments

• france 2011 003.jpg
    france 2011 003.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 10

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread