Now I'm confused about the 12v (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Why is this all proving so difficult to get right????
OK-I was told there are 2 x 12v sockets--one next to the regular 3 pin one, one inside the TV cupboard. The 12v ones (I've now noticed) are far smaller than the "cigarette lighter" one in cab.

12v hairdryer which arrived today only fits into the "cigarette lighter" one in cab.
The 12v TV, now I've unpacked it has a 3 pin plug on it.

Do I need an adapter for these other 12v sockets---or are they something else entirely???

Maybe I should have bought a tent?????:Blush:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You have the german style socket. Most things you buy to run off 12v have the cigar lighter type plug so your best bet is to get an adaptor rather than have to change lots of plugs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks--doesn't take much to confuse me these days!

Off to Ebay.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This is the sort of thing you need

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hella-Double-Lighter-Socket-Adaptor/dp/B0042F0SY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330953626&sr=8-2[/ame]

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
If your 12v sockets are the smaller Hella DIN type, like this.

$(KGrHqIOKo0E1z30)tQhBNd8SQw)1g~~_35.JPG

Sounds like you need and adapter like this...

images

Link Removed

This will allow you to plug your items which have the the standard UK cigarette plug into the smaller continental type socket as shown above. Probably easier for you than changing the plugs or sockets over on your van.

As for the TV was it supplied with a UK or French 3 pin plug (240V) that leads to a small black brick (transformer reducing 240V AC to 12V DC) which is very similar to a laptop mains adapter ?
This then has a cable leading out the other end with a small round plug which plugs into the TV, this would be marked 12V DC on the TV, something like this.

Link Removed

Some TV's will also be supplied with a cigarette lighter type adaptor which has the small plug on the end and gives 12 V direct to the TV. If you did not get one of these you will have to get a 12V lead which has the same size socket on the TV end as your mains transformer has.

Hope this makes some sense

Callum

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If memory serves don't the smaller ones have a lower maximum current rating?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks, everyone. Now know what I have to buy.

The TV has 3 pin plug but it's big says on it 12v___3A
Input 100-240v 50-60Hz

There is nothing along the wire apart from a smallish cylinder shape about 5cms from socket that fits in back of TV.

Not counting on using a lot of electrical things--a hairdryer & watch a DVD occasionally.

Upvote 0

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
more details required re tv perhaps pictures of cable and rear of tv
make and model.

regards
steve:thumb:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Why is this all proving so difficult to get right????
OK-I was told there are 2 x 12v sockets--one next to the regular 3 pin one, one inside the TV cupboard. The 12v ones (I've now noticed) are far smaller than the "cigarette lighter" one in cab.

12v hairdryer which arrived today only fits into the "cigarette lighter" one in cab.
The 12v TV, now I've unpacked it has a 3 pin plug on it.

Do I need an adapter for these other 12v sockets---or are they something else entirely???

Maybe I should have bought a tent?????:Blush:

Holyberry ..it would be much better if you could take a photo of what you have received with the tv... and also take a photo of the socket you wish to plug into....then either myself or any of the funsters will give you the exact item you will require,,,,, :thumb:

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks, everyone. Now know what I have to buy.

[HI]The TV has 3 pin plug but it's big says on it 12v___3A
Input 100-240v 50-60Hz[/HI]

There is nothing along the wire apart from a smallish cylinder shape about 5cms from socket that fits in back of TV.

Not counting on using a lot of electrical things--a hairdryer & watch a DVD occasionally.

If the input is 100-240V and TV says 12v there has to be a transformer somewhere between the 3 pin mains plug and the small plug that goes in the TV....

Sounds like you may have something like this as you say the plug is big..

Link Removed

the 3 plug built into the transformer itself......

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I purchased one of the 4 way cigar socket adaptors then changed the plug to a Hella Din. this way i can plug in 2 phone chargers etc plus any other 12v bits and pieces without having to unlplug something first

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
i BOUGHT A MOTOR HOME WITH PROPER PLUGS IN IT:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If the input is 100-240V and TV says 12v there has to be a transformer somewhere between the 3 pin mains plug and the small plug that goes in the TV....

Sounds like you may have something like this as you say the plug is big..

Link Removed

the 3 plug built into the transformer itself......

That's it!! Looks just like that.
How do you all know all this stuff???? And where to find it?? I tried looking through Google images as I don't even know the names to search for.
I will photograph everything later--have a house viewing in an hour so should be lighting log fires and polishing I suppose.......

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What I have done with similar things, if I know I will never want to run from the mains, is just cut the lead from the transformer and put a 12v plug on it. It is usually necessary to use a meter to check the polarity as the individual wires are often not marked. Apart from that there are a number of universal car adaptors, with a variety of connectors which could do the job. Just make sure that they can supply the required current 3A at 12v 36W minimum as many are a lot less than this.

Upvote 0

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi.

I have just purchased a new tv from Asda (Luxor 19" led with dvd & freeview - £109).

I bought a 12v stabiliser lead of ebay, but it came with a different connector to the tv (the Luxor has a 4 pin power socket) . I managed to locate an adaptor here this site seems to have quite a few 12v power supply leads & a number of adaptors.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Crikey! All this "techie speak" has turned my head to fudge:Doh:
We've just bought a new tv for the mh, but as it's doubling up as the monitor for the computer as well, we haven't yet needed to set it up in the mh:Sad:
I need a drink now:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:
Margaret:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back