jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Do any of you give your old dog anything for joints etc, if so what and where and how much

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Do any of you give your old dog anything for joints etc, if so what and where and how much

We used to give our Border Collie the liquid cod liver oil from a bottle, we would put the recommended dosage into his food and mix it through. However, he could always smell it and would stand and look at the bowl and then look up at me as if to say, "I know you've put that stuff in my food, so I'm not going to eat it".:Angry:

We then tried some tablets that we would crush and put into toast folded over with loads of butter. This was more successful:thumb:

Can't remember the price, but the bottled stuff was quite expensive from what I remember.

Toby was 15 years old when we had to have him put down:Sad:

Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We used to give our 18 year old dog glucosamine and some othe suplements from the vets. Quite a high dose as I recall 300mg or more as I remember

It was called Noractive

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supple...2/noractive-plus-sachets-for-medium-dogs-p-86

Not expensive on the scale of things and it made a real difference to the old boy. He was still active for an old dog with arthritis and was running around with the younger bitch until just a couple of days before cancer took him from us:cry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
No, you're right, they are worth every penny, but was meaning that the liquid seemed to be more expensive than the tablets.

Vet UK was the name that I was trying to think of:Doh:

18 years old, that's fantastic. I would dearly love to have Toby back here with us, I still haven't got over having to have him put to sleep in February of last year:cry:

Margaret:Sad:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
A French Vet recomended Locox from Zubial (a French Firm).
Can't find them in the UK but we buy them direct of their website 300 at a time.
Only needs 1 a day & he's been on them for 4 years now. What a difference!

Link Removed

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We all take omega 3 fish oil capsules. Even the dogs ( Border Terriers ) .
Ruby is 14 and fit as a fiddle. Keeping up with Buster who's 3. We noticed her eyes which were cloudy , cleared up nicely . She stopped prowling up to rocks and the like , thinking they were rabbits /cats. Its good for the brain eyes and joints.
Ralph and I take broad spectrum multi B vit too . ( Great side effect of that is that it keeps the mozzies at bay too :thumb: I used to get eaten alive , and the volcanic bites needed serious antibiotic treatment . I get the odd nibble now , with no nasty side effects. )

www.zipvit.co.uk Look to the left and they have a special pet section, ours get our omega 3 though.
So much cheaper than anywhere else . They send offers once you've bought from them , online , too.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mine have a cod liver oil capsule each daily. I just buy the large tubs in Tesco and they eat it in with their food. They also have a glucosamine tablet ( as Holly has a damaged leg (beaten before I found her) & Cass has clicky hips!) This has to be crushed into their food but one of the pet med websites sells a really nifty pill crusher.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Arthriad a liquid food suppliment. We used to give that tto our old terrier Jess until we started having to lift up and hold her back end until she got ready to walk. Took her to the vets and he gave her Loxicom (€30 for a bottle that lasted 6 months). After taking it for a couple of days she was like a younger dog. Her hips were inflammed, hence she couldn't get up, and this helped reduce the swelling.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sad story
My old border collie Ted was suffering from terrible pain in his hips and could hardly move. We took him to the vet expecting to have him put down, but the vet convinced us to try a glucosamine gel first as he said it had great results.
After about a week Ted was like a pup running around playing with the kids having a great life. About a week later the farmer was driving up the lane with his dogs in the back of the landrover, Ted heard them coming cleared the five bar gate and went straight under the landrover and broke his back.:cry: He always used to keep an eye out for Ted as this was a something he did a lot when he was younger but for the last couple of years he had'nt been jumping the gate. The farmer was devastated:Sad: and we still had to have Ted put down.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Go down to your nearest equine feed store or similar and get a NAF product for horses called Super Flex.

Do not be talked into the doggy product that they also make

it costs about £30.00 ish pound and will last you about five months.

For the first week give it a desert spoon a day on its food as a loading dose and then drop it down to a tea spoon a day

We have used it so many times and we were in the equine trade and sold lots of it for older dogs.

Boss has just read it and says make sure it says soluble super flex as they also make granuels

It is one of those products that we loved selling as the results were outstanding

I kid you not you will see a difference within the first week if you do not I will treat you to your money back if and when we meet up-----yes its that good

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
We have 6 border collies. the older ones have VetVits Flexi-Joints (Glucosamine) £12 for 240 tablets.

Whan that stops working they have Metacam. (Prescription only) If the dog can tolerate it. some will have it in there food others I have to squirt it down with a syringe.

Mike

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Sad story
My old border collie Ted was suffering from terrible pain in his hips and could hardly move. We took him to the vet expecting to have him put down, but the vet convinced us to try a glucosamine gel first as he said it had great results.
After about a week Ted was like a pup running around playing with the kids having a great life. About a week later the farmer was driving up the lane with his dogs in the back of the landrover, Ted heard them coming cleared the five bar gate and went straight under the landrover and broke his back.:cry: He always used to keep an eye out for Ted as this was a something he did a lot when he was younger but for the last couple of years he had'nt been jumping the gate. The farmer was devastated:Sad: and we still had to have Ted put down.

:cry:
Oh thats really sad. But he was out of pain and had a great time , if only for a short while , before the accident.:Sad:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Sad story

Just been reading your story and it is so sad! I still haven't got over having to have our 15 year old border collie Toby put down in February last year.
He was hyper all the time, from when we got him as a 6 week old pup until he was about 10 or 12 years then he calmed down a bit:whatthe:
I took him to dog training when he was 6 months, but the woman taking the classes said to bring him back in year because he was so "hyper". He was upsetting all the other dogs and we weren't welcome:Blush:
A couple of years back the farmer nearby said to me that he would prefer if we could take him inside the house whilst they were shifting cattle, because he might upset the cattle:Angry: I was a bit annoyed about this because we were in the garden at the time, but it was only for 5 minutes or so. Even the cyclists passing us were wary of passing the gates for fear of Toby barking at them, he was well known for this::bigsmile:
Anyway, the house is so quiet without him now and we really do miss him:Sad:

We also had our first dog run over, so know how you felt. One minute she was running out of the house, next minute she was gone.

Margaret

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Sad story

My wife wants to know why I am crying:cry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
My wife wants to know why I am crying:cry:

I know, it doesn't take much to set me off either. We had to wait a week before the vet could put Toby to sleep, it was sheer hell having to go through those last few days......just awful :Sad: Plus 15 minutes drive in the car with the two of us, my son (who was 26) and poor old Toby in the back:cry:
My daughter wouldn't come, she distanced herself from the whole thing.
Margaret

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We use Simply Supplements - Google it - they are in Jersey. Nigel gets his 500mg Glaucosamine and 400mg of Marine Condriotin in one tablet from them for his arthritis - 5 years ago, struggled to walk, now can climb the ladder on the van which he couldn't do before and walk so much easier. They need to be taken for at least three months to get proper effect. Costs £68.00 for the year.

They also have these tablets in their pet section.

Pamala

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yes Margaret.
But at least we can have our beloved pets put to sleep .
We cant our beloved relatives.
We have to watch for weeks sometimes months before they go . Dosed up on morphine being starved to death.:Sad::cry:
It happened to 3 of my grandparents. I just hope they were as oblivious as they seamed to be , of the whole experience.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have 6 border collies. the older ones have VetVits Flexi-Joints (Glucosamine) £12 for 240 tablets.

Whan that stops working they have Metacam. (Prescription only) If the dog can tolerate it. some will have it in there food others I have to squirt it down with a syringe.

Mike
our old retreiver was also on metacam.....kept her hips and back legs going for her last few years, but eventually it just wasn't effective any more.

she died of old age (18) just as the vet was about to put her to sleep at home....but we still got a callout bill :Sad:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Dogs

We give Glucosamine to all our senior dogs its brilliant, just google there are several cheap suppliers or go to Crufts this week and buy it:thumb:

Dave

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I know, it doesn't take much to set me off either. We had to wait a week before the vet could put Toby to sleep, it was sheer hell having to go through those last few days......just awful :Sad: Plus 15 minutes drive in the car with the two of us, my son (who was 26) and poor old Toby in the back:cry:
My daughter wouldn't come, she distanced herself from the whole thing.
Margaret

If I were you I would change my vet, to make the poor animal wait with that injury is criminal.
We had to have a Greyhound put down while in Portugal a couple of years ago as one of her back legs shattered while chasing a poodle on the beach, devastating experience!
I should add that she was getting very old and going blind but we loved her non the less.
Gary

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If I were you I would change my vet, to make the poor animal wait with that injury is criminal.
We had to have a Greyhound put down while in Portugal a couple of years ago as one of her back legs shattered while chasing a poodle on the beach, devastating experience!
I should add that she was getting very old and going blind but we loved her non the less.
Gary

Gary
I felt I had to respond to your post above. I should point out that our dog was not suffering from any injury, I have never mentioned anything about him having any injury in any part of this thread.
The thread started off about giving your dog glucosamine and this in turn brought in other comments and sad stories about people who had dogs which had met with unfortunate accidents along the way.

But if you read back through the comments that I have posted on this particular thread, you will see that Toby was indeed an old dog at 15 years and as a result of age-related problems we had to have him put to sleep. He was not suffering in any way, just an old dog, who couldn't have been loved any more than he was.

After discussion with our vet, it was arranged that we would reluctantly have to have the dog put down. The reason that we waited 4 or 5 days, was because my son wanted to be there when we took the dog to the vet for the last time and he had to arrange time off his work:Sad:

Under "no circumstances" would we have kept our dog, or any other pet if it had been suffering.
We'd had Toby since he was 6 weeks and it was heartbreaking to have to come to the decision that this was the kindest thing to do. But he had a long and happy life with our family and we will have these happy memories with us for the rest of our days:Smile:
Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
our old retreiver was also on metacam.....kept her hips and back legs going for her last few years, but eventually it just wasn't effective any more.

she died of old age (18) just as the vet was about to put her to sleep at home....but we still got a callout bill :Sad:

We had Toby on liquid cod liver oil, then Metacam for a while, but although it helped him a bit, there were still other "age-related problems" on the increase. I would find "deposits" from time to time and it was becoming a real problem in the end. So we had to make that final decision.
Reading what you posted above, I read this as "callous" bill, must get my glasses!
But that could start another thread I think......... our final vet's bill for injections etc came to £227 in the end, but he was worth it.
My previous vet probably thinks I'm eccentric, I took an injured collared dove and a wild rabbit into him years back. He saved the wild rabbit and it was released back into the fields nearby, but not sure what happened to the collared dove:Sad:

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Thank you for the replies I got a litre of NAF superflex 5star liquid today I will let you all know if my girl gets rid of the stiffness I have noticed and the odd stumble on getting up

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK I know it's an ancient thread but, see, I did a search first so I don't get told off!:whew:

Anyhooooos, our sprollie is getting on a wee bit (bit like the rest of us!) and he's definitely stiffening up around the hip joints. Had his annual MOT at the vets a month or so ago and passed with this as the only advisory :)giggler:). He doesn't take well to Metacalm so vet tried him on a doggy version of paracetamol but he wasn't too happy with them either.

The question then is, what is the current thoughts on supplements for older dogs? A lot of folk mentioned to us on our recent trip up north to have a look at Yumove(?) but thought we'd ask the sprightly coffin-dodgers, eh Funsters on here for their thoughts.:notworthy2:

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
I use green lipped mussel for my older dogs,I found it does help if they are arthritic, also I use No Bute for tendon and mussel tears, very good if a dog has a torn cruciate ligament, one of our other dogs had torn his cruciate and vet wanted to operate but I said no , I told him I wanted to rest him and start him on No Bute which I did and the cruciate repaired itself after 5/6 weeks and he never had a problem with it after that .
Silvia

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We used “ youmove on our 14 year old working cocker spaniel for a few years before he passed early this year.
He began the limp and occasional stumble It seemed to have a positive effect on his condition.
I won’t say it was a cure all but it certainly improved his mobility.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We found this to very good for our boys when we had them.
That's the one a few folk mentioned on our last trip. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back