Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi . it kind of was . folk used to convert real vans etc into trailers . you could very often see them at the vw shows . splitties -bay windows . even the t25 square ones . was a cheap do then . not now though with the price it all fetches .
neat that its now been done in fibre glass though .i can see scot jim reliving his youth with an early split and one of them behind . ha ha .
what you need jim is to make your own teardrop. i have a devon made teardrop pod i have had for twenty years . its about 30 yr old all together . great for that quick sneak off somewhere .here,s a couple with the bongo -rooftent and the pod trailer.
sounds daft but this lot isnt that much shorter than my truck n trailer about 4-5ft thats all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My aunty and uncle have been fulltimers for 20 years and have travelled all over europe and most of that has been in a little Eriba. They have a larger hand built caravan at the moment but are talkinng about going back to an Eriba, they reckon it was the best van they ever owned.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I saw one of these ar a show some where they do look good, but then again I like things that are different even if not my taste.

All the best Rick

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If I was towing something behind a van that had no toilet, i would rather there was one in the trailer. I guess it's down to my age :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only ever owned 1 dub camper back in the late 70s- Hated the slow thirsty slug then and never liked them since.Probably why I never got into m/hs or caravans until 2000::bigsmile:Used it to travel 120 mls round trip to work every day for 8 weeks-put 20 mins EW on travel time and almost doubled my fuel bill :Doh: Best days work was when I sold it to a couple who came here from NZ for 6 mths travelling/touring-ÂŁ500 profit :winky: :thumb: Never found out how they got on but they were welcome to it :winky:-Does not look a lot of anything in it for 13k plus so it's a deffo no for me ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
-Does not look a lot of anything in it for 13k plus so it's a deffo no for me ::bigsmile:
terry

well, as a self builder I didn't think you'd be impressed .. :winky:

I agree it is a lot, but take off 20% VAT .. starts to look reasonable.. and bear in mind, a 12ft matchwood built caravan will set you back more..

Eriba caravans are a lot more expensive .. your outa touch Terry :roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Never fancied a caravan Jim ::bigsmile: Any way 13k would buy a proper caravan that would have a shower/loo that you could stand up in ? wouldn't it ? Prob not as cool to look at but a lot more practical :winky:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry so you missed out on the 2.1 fuel injected vw t25 capable of nearly 120mph and returning about 24-26 to the gallon. mine used to go to holland and back in less than 24 hrs from cornwall. swop drivers of course and return loaded with vw parts . was the fastest of its class at the time . you have lived a sheltered life .hee hee .
mind i remember going around italy in brand new early 60,s vw,s with family corrupted me for ever. never had a normal life ever from then on. far better than a bedford ca .or a commer . commer kept boiling over in switzerland . horrible vehicle . only had 13 of us in it loaded to the ginnalls . ha ha .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Alan mine was a 1600 cc air cooled job-about 65 flat out and sub 20 to the gallon (the way I drove it-flat out )bag of s--t ---very impressed with the new vw vans :thumb:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry i built a 1600cc with limited slip diff took it around africa . slowly but what a good van just about go any where. space was its only trouble . one day we shall meet and i can show pics . but it went back twice more . but not quick. have a good one .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back