Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my gas hob, keeps going out on its own, it's a Thetford Spinflo, on a Gaslow system our blown gas which is a Truma Combi is working fine, any ideas or solutions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like the flame failure device cutting it off if the pressure is ok. This relies on a thermocouple that gets heated by the gas flame to keep the valve open. If for whatever reason the thermocouple is not being kept hot, the gas will shut off

check that the thermocouple has not been dislodged when cleaning the hob and that you havent got a draft across it from an open window

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Have you tried all the burners on the hob, I can understand thermocouple failure on one but not on all of them, there may also be a bit of muck in the jet:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If its a blocked jet, this will give a weak flame, so not heating the thermocouple correctly

Mind you, we recently had a similar issue with the hob flame dropping by itself over time. Turned out to be a failing truma gas regulator, which couldnt keep up the supply.. In the end, it failed totally resulting in no gas getting through. Replaced it and sorted the problem, also fridge lights faster on gas than before

OP
OP
deanroofing

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Tried all the hobs one did stay on a bit longer than the rest,when they go off it does seem like there is a cut off makes a noise, just tried again one stayed on for about 15-20 seconds the other two go out as soon as you release the knob.

Don't know if that gives any ideas, flame seems fierce enough on all burners.

TYKETRIPPER

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 years
Gaslow regulator failure

If your gaslow regulator has a rubber hose then this is the problem. Please see follow sites. Link Removed
Link Removed
Had the same problem last year but soon fixed by a Gaslow dealer/fitter.

Hope this helps. Kind regards,

Ian

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
if the flame is fierce as you say, then it should heat the thermocouple. generally there is one for each burner. Another thought is air in the gas pipe. If you recently had work done on the gas or changed cylinders etc, it may be as simple as relighting the hob several times or holding in the knob to purge any air

The mechanical noise you describe is the flame failure device in the valve cutting off the gas as it failed to detect a flame

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my gas hob, keeps going out on its own, it's a Thetford Spinflo, on a Gaslow system our blown gas which is a Truma Combi is working fine, any ideas or solutions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

If your gaslow regulator has a rubber hose then this is the problem. Please see follow sites. Link Removed
Link Removed
Had the same problem last year but soon fixed by a Gaslow dealer/fitter.

Hope this helps. Kind regards,

Ian
i reckon that eliminates the regulator :thumb:

OP
OP
deanroofing

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Got the stainless hoses, so thats not the problem, perhaps is the thermocouplers have to get my mate to have a look.

Thanks guys.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the flame continues to burn with the knob held in then its almost certainly the thermocouple.

holding the knob in by-passes the thermo to allow it to heat up.

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Sounds very much like your shut off switch is failing , I have replaced several of these under warranty for Thetford. Your dealer should be able to sort out for you and takes around 1 hour to undertake,
Thetford Part No. SSPA0600

Mark

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sounds very much like your shut off switch is failing , I have replaced several of these under warranty for Thetford. Your dealer should be able to sort out for you and takes around 1 hour to undertake,
Thetford Part No. SSPA0600

Mark

That makes complete sense of course :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just a thought but some that have a glass cover have a valve that opens to let the gas through only when the cover is up could it be be this playing up ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the same problem. Johns Cross think it may just need the thermocouples tightening. It is going in to them on the 13th so they can play with it. I don't fiddle with the gas myself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back