Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Folks

There are three separate stickers inside the cab and habitation area of my mh that show the maximum gross weight as being 6372Kg.

I remember getting an email from Gulfstream in response to a querie of mine, telling me that the vehicle weight when leaving the factory was 4500Kg.

The V5C says: Revenue Weight, 4960 KG GROSS.

When being UK registered the mh had to be taken to a DVLA station for inspection and so I assume that the DVLA Inspector saw the plated weights at that time.

My question is. What happens if the police stop me and see the V5C Revenue Weight of 4960Kg, weigh my vehicle and find it to be 5432Kg which is within the vehicle plated weight.

Essentially what do I do. Nothing or contact the DVLA to change my V5. I really don't want to get involved with the DVLA.
Jim
:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Technically you are overweight.

a personal visit to your local DVLA office with V5, photo's of the outside of the RV with reg plate showing and also of the 'plate' showing the true gross weight.

in my opinion a personal visit is worth the effort so you don't get docs returned unprocessed due to missing or incorrect information.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi the max fine is 5,000 but could incur more if other offences were imposed . far better to have dvla look at the plates and get it up lifted .
also you get a prohibition notice put on vehicle restricting its movements till its the correct weight. ignore it and get possibly another 5,000 fine.
could only take a few minutes and your worries will be over.
dvla at local level can be really helpfull.
went to ours to register a m,bike from germany the other day had it mot,d on the frame number . ins ,on the frame number . had an inspection . all ok .2 days later log book arrived . cant get better than that.
age related number was telephoned to us the day after the inspection.
hey pappa he would be over weight ,not technically

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi the max fine is 5,000 but could incur more if other offences were imposed . far better to have dvla look at the plates and get it up lifted .
also you get a prohibition notice put on vehicle restricting its movements till its the correct weight. ignore it and get possibly another 5,000 fine.
could only take a few minutes and your worries will be over.
dvla at local level can be really helpfull.
went to ours to register a m,bike from germany the other day had it mot,d on the frame number . ins ,on the frame number . had an inspection . all ok .2 days later log book arrived . cant get better than that.
age related number was telephoned to us the day after the inspection.
hey pappa he would be over weight ,not technically
agreed Alan, but i said 'technically' due to the V5/DVLA error...not the RV's true ability to carry that weight and more.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Revenue Weight is of interest to DVLA for establishing the Road Fund Licence fee payable. (Taxation class)

MGW is of interest to VOSA and the Police.
It is the maximum weight at which the vehicle is permitted to operate at. Maximum axle weights are also an issuewhere overloading is concerned.
It is possible (more likely in fact) to be within MGW, but overloaded on a particular axle.

What the converter's plates etc. say is irrelevant until those figures are quoted as MGW on the V5C.

I agree with both PPJ and Alan. Despite what other plates on the van may say, you are up to £5k of overloaded.
Follow their good advice and go seek advice from your local VRO.
You'll find them very helpful, not like DVLA.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Slightly off topic
Taken from the DVLA Website

Relevent to my case in red

You’ll need to update your registration certificate (V5C) if you make any changes to your vehicle or if any of the details shown on your registration certificate are incorrect. The amount of vehicle tax you pay may be affected and you will need to produce documentary evidence of the changes.

Other changes
Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:
wheel plan
Body type (DVLA allocate a body type description based on the external appearance of a vehicle)
Vehicle identification number (VIN)
Chassis number
frame number for motorcycles

DVLA Reply Received today in writing
Thank you for your letter dated 20th Jan with photographs of your vehicle.
The Photographs you supplied do indicate your vehicle looks like a recovery vehicle
The body types we have available on our system to describe a recovery vehicleare "Breakdown Truck" or " Car Transporter" these descriptions are not compatible with your vehicle, the nearest we have available to describe your vehicle is "Flat Bed Lorry" and that has been applied:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:
I WELL AND TRULY GIVE UP
Good luck in your quest
Geo

Attachments

• doc1 002.jpg
    doc1 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Slightly off topic
Taken from the DVLA Website

Relevent to my case in red

You’ll need to update your registration certificate (V5C) if you make any changes to your vehicle or if any of the details shown on your registration certificate are incorrect. The amount of vehicle tax you pay may be affected and you will need to produce documentary evidence of the changes.

Other changes
Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:
wheel plan
Body type (DVLA allocate a body type description based on the external appearance of a vehicle)
Vehicle identification number (VIN)
Chassis number
frame number for motorcycles

DVLA Reply Received today in writing
Thank you for your letter dated 20th Jan with photographs of your vehicle.
The Photographs you supplied do indicate your vehicle looks like a recovery vehicle
The body types we have available on our system to describe a recovery vehicleare "Breakdown Truck" or " Car Transporter" these descriptions are not compatible with your vehicle, the nearest we have available to describe your vehicle is "Flat Bed Lorry" and that has been applied:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:
I WELL AND TRULY GIVE UP
Good luck in your quest
Geo
looks like the beginnings of a motorhome with a broken rear chassis to me Geo ! :ROFLMAO:

cant understand which part of 'Car transporter' doesnt apply to your 'flat bed lorry' :Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Reading between the lines they seem to have electronically linked "Recovery" "Car Transporter" "Breakdown Truck" to a lower VED band
I dont want the cheaper ved because that will restrict the vehicles use severely to recovery or breakdowns only, and if i carry a wardrobe on the back or a race car im in trouble, ie evading the correct ved rate of PLG
So the nearest description for a vehicle in the correct ved is "Flat Back"
Pity they cant explain it to me like I just did to you instead of the gobbly gooke they have used
And great pity a body description has to effect the ved
Geo

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The part that's annoying about this is that the DVLA called it in for an Inspection. That cost me time and money. The V5 also has the wrong VIN on it, not far wrong but wrong.
Jim
:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats right it did need an inspection . very often its the importer that lies about the weights . its easy to blame dvla . but i can say i find them very helpfull. very often these things are easily sorted . very often here they send out the inspector to you. it does get easier the more you do with them .
just like vosa all very helpfull once you get to know who to speak to.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
So you think the Inspector may come to me. My nearest DVLA Office is in Chester and I don't think they have an Inspection area, I know they don't have a car park. Think I'll give them a call tomorrow or Monday.
Jim

Attachments

• MH WEIGHTS 005.jpg
    MH WEIGHTS 005.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant help you on your local one but down here there is a parking area for inspections . mind i usually park just outside on a side road .
but it may be you have to ask for info. i very often go as then you get things moving quicker . you may find you cant ring them as usually all the centers are on a centralized system. sometimes they do give a local number but things did change awhile ago. better to get it sorted now as soon there may not be a local office .everything will have to go through swansea soon. then things will be difficult for sure.
what ever the cost in time or money its better than a pull by vosa for over weight. be patient .its hard i know. i,m lucky, i get on ok with the workers in our local office ,be a shame when its closed .they are like friends now.
i,m sure once they look all will go smooth ..
i go in our local and openly say your worst nightmares here get the manager ready . as it was last week we jumped the queue just to get rid of me. ideal . the inspector saw me and pointed out side . hee hee . they dont like me geeing the other customers up.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I may just have a drive out there on Monday. I can drop in there and have a stroll along the River Dee afterwards. Its only 15 minutes away.
Jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes thats possibly the way to do it .i would do that.
just expect it might take time they dont always rush.
i have been a thorn in their side for about 30 years so wheni go in some almost want to leave .ha ha .best of luck .be calm.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes thats possibly the way to do it .i would do that.
just expect it might take time they dont always rush.
i have been a thorn in their side for about 30 years so wheni go in some almost want to leave .ha ha .best of luck .be calm.
Cant understand why Alan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa must be my good looks charm and the way i win friends and influence people .hee hee

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just slightly uprated mine through SvTech. Sent off the stuff to DVLA. Alarming bit in the paperwork was that they might require an unladen weight, I don't relish the thought of taking everything out of the van :Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you should be able to get that from the converters . remember its only a game that you are playing .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back