Another newbie/sat nav question (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Hii everyone
I have been looking at the site gaining all the information I needed for about a year now, its been a mine of information for me.
We are not normal motorhomers in that in 30 years with caravans we have only every been on 3 camp sites as we use ours for going to dog shows virtually every weekend plus we have about 5 whole weeks in it per year.
The choice of a MH was difficult as we are usually on green field sites, sometimes not very well drained and having seen the difficulties that FWD’s got into on damp grass it narrowed my choice, I then needed the biggest garage I could get plus sleeping for 3 / 4 and not too cramped as we had a twin axel decent sized caravan so I wanted a RWD.
After watching and waiting for a while I am now the proud owner of a Hobby Sphinx on the Iveco chassis with twin singles and overcab double, we have used it 3 times and are absolutely delighted with it, got it private off ebay had only one fault to fix which was a broken shower screen runner which the Hobby importers Ambergate located and delivered to me within a few days. I did get it at an excellent price but with a very high mileage for a 18 month old MH, 21000 miles (that’s what the insurance company told me anyway !! )
The one thing I need is a new Satnav, my old Tomtom is knackered so I wanted to buy a MH friendly one BUT everyone one I read about has criticism, Tom Tom, Garmin, Snooper
what you buy ?????????:thanks2:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TomTom Go910 and a little common sense gets me everywhere i want to go. :thumb:

common sense = narrow roads and wide mirrors.....my Rv's safe clearance is 11ft 2in wide with the mirrors.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
The one thing I need is a new Satnav, my old Tomtom is knackered so I wanted to buy a MH friendly one BUT everyone one I read about has criticism, Tom Tom, Garmin, Snooper
what you buy ?????????:thanks2:

Definitely don't get a Snooper. I made that mistake and have lived to regret it. Poor quality product, with second rate support, and the update software looks like it was written in the mid 1970s. Maybe Snooper are okay for speed camera products, but as a SatNav they are seriously second rate.

I think you're best sticking with a proper SatNav such as Garmin or TomTom. Although there are lots of alternatives around these days. I bought one in Spain last year for 59 euros and it is absolutely superb. It even includes speed cameras.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I bought hubby a Garmin Nuvi 1410 for Christmas, so far we haven't got any further than a 30 mile round trip to the supermarket recently, so haven't put it to the test yet:Doh::roflmto:

But you will get plenty replies and advice on here, some people swear by one make and then others will come along and tell you to avoid it.

I can only agree with pappajohn's advice that "common sense" is necessary with them all:thumb:

Good luck with it!

Margaret

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Garmin

Bought a Garmin 1490lmt got it from halfords £160 is pretty good got all the extra software included, the predecessor to this won a which best buy, but not fully tried it out yet, like the traffic avoidance option on it, good luck with your Motorhome, you can get it a lot cheaper elsewhere now.

Grasscutter just reminded me you get free lifetime updates included, well you do with Halfords.

Last edited:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We bought the snooper s6000 in october for our first continental trip in January. Having toured through France Spain and Portugal we found a number of times that it tried to get us to do U turns on motorways. I contacted snooper to ask if this was the latest version and was informed that an update on mapping would cost 160-00. I thought I had researched well but in hindsight I think I would have bought a system that included updates.

OP
OP
TheDogMan
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Well I think thats the Snooper off the list, I did realise after I put this post on that I had used the wrong section !!!

Dave

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Anyone know which of the TomTom devices allows you to put size of vehicle in to avoid getting sent down narrow lanes, and does it work?

Is this option available in any of the TomTom/Co-Pilot Apps for ipad?

Thanks

Steve

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Garmin Zumo550 for me.
I can use it on a bike, or car ect,can be set as you are driving a truck so it won`t steer you down a track.
It is water proof,drop proof.
I can also use blootooth it for my phone hands free.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have been using a garmin 255wt for the last 3 years or so, I had to buy lifetime updates separately (I think they are often included now).

I have been very happy with it. Yes you need common sence on occasions, and do not follow it blindly, but we have used over Spain, Italy, and much of E Europe with very few issues.

That said, the caravan club had an ad in their latest magazine for a cc branded machine that allowed you to input vehicle details. Looked very good, but dearer.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well I think thats the Snooper off the list, I did realise after I put this post on that I had used the wrong section !!!

Dave

Dave..
Sat Navs...NONE are perfect...I have had....Garmin not Brilliant,....ACER this was the biggest load of rubbish I have ever purchased!,.....TOM-TOM GO European maps and lane control not to expensive this sat nav has been ok BUT it now needs a update nearly 3 years old,..... and now new tom-tom 1000.. I have just purchased..TOM-TOM 1000!!!:Angry::cry:...when it works:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....I have lots of problems with the tom-tom 1000 will not switch on....have to go back to factory reset??? to start by holding the on button down for 15 secs...I can not add POI...the list goes on, the 1000 is one of the new-est tom-toms just go on the web and research....faults on tom-tom 1000.
I have not had the snooper.....

You pays your money you takes your chance ...

On saying all that I would not be without a Satnav...I do prefer the tom-tom to my Garmin.....they all try to take you on the shortest route may even be a farm road...look and move on to the next road normally I find there is a major road not far on the sat nav is just cutting a corner off ...look, and decide what you are comfortable with...does the road look right??

I must say when the Tom-Tom 1000 is working....I do like it:Doh:

Mel

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Hunt around for a tomtom XXL euro

not expensive... nice and large...easy to read easy to add POIs
and back it up with a nice selection of maps........ with a bit of planning ahead
is all you need.

barry

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We also have the TomTom 910 Go, found it excellent , only once had a prob which the support team took me through no probs since, we had ours around 6yrs or so :thumb::thumb::thumb: , we do have the quarterly updates n fixes this year :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
I've been very happy with my Garmin including lifetime updateswhich I get every three months. Also use my laptop with Microsoft Autoroute and a satellite finder plugged in to the USB port. (Cost £30 in ebay) This is the best ever for route finding before you go anywhere - you can then keep a check on the route shown on the garmion (or other). Big benefit is being able to see the route fully on the laptop which I have mounted on the dash in front of the passenger seat. It is also used as a satnav with sound etc., but with a 15" screen - much better choice of route can be seen at a glance rather than follow the garmin when roads are blocked etc.
Best of luck with your eventual choice. Arthur.:thumb:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Garmin Zumo550 for me.
I can use it on a bike, or car ect,can be set as you are driving a truck so it won`t steer you down a track.
It is water proof,drop proof.
I can also use blootooth it for my phone hands free.
I have the 660,good bit of kit. wasn't aware though you could set it for a truck,is that easy to do?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back