LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
there is ADAC, but I am in safeguard and they do recover vehicles over 3.5 ton, I have checked with them several times.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
ADAC for us :thumb: Never had to use them yet so cannot say how good they are but they cannot be any worse than the others.::bigsmile: and they are dirt cheap £72 yr to cover both wife and I in any vehicle euro wide :Smile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The RAC do Dave if you are a member of the C&CC and book it on your membership.

Mine is 18 ton and with the RAC where their cover is not so good is when in europe 2k max

All the best Rick

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
i am with safeguard who i think use AA.
Broke down in Germany last year, our van is 25 foot and 4100 kg.
No issues they sent a whoppa of a truck (ADAC ) and took us in for repair..

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
ADAC will.

The ADACPlusMembership protects all vehicles regardless of the vehicle type,
which do not exceed the following measures and dimensions:

max. vehicle length 10,- m
max. total height 3,- m Motorhomes max. 3,20 m
max. admissible total weight 3,50 t Motorhomes max. 7,50 t
max. number of persons (incl. driver) 9 persons
l

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I know the AA & RAC dont, we currently use ALPS, are there any other alternatives?

Ta
We use RAC Commercial through Comfort insurance. We are 4600 kilogrammes plus trailer. We have been recovered twice, once in England and just recently in italy with our continental breakdown. Luckily we didn't have the car and trailer either time.
John and Joan.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Safeguard for us, its included with our insurance full European recovery, I've checked with them many times on the size and weight especially when we had an RV, no problem.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just an update here for anyone confused about AA and Rac and over 3.5t recovery.
The AA personal membership only covers up to 3.5t max UK or Europe
The Rac personal membership only covers up to 3,5t max UK or europe
The AA covers anything over 3,5t no limit, only through Safeguard ins with NO recovery limit from anywhere in Europe, (up to the value of the M/H/RV
The RAC covers anything over 3.5t but with a £3000???? max limit for European recovery.
Hope this helps clear up any confusion with AA & RAC recovery. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
SOME clubs/recovery companies, will not recover you

1) Outside of the EU

2) if you are over a certain length

3) if you are over a certain weight

4) If you have "X" amount of passengers

5) If you have a trailer

6) If you are "off of the public highway"

7) If your vehicle is over a certain age

8) If you are in northern ireland.

9) If you are not carrying a servicable spare wheel

10) If you run out of petrol/diesel.

11) If the cost of the recovery exceeds the value of the vehicle!!

These are the reasons I have come across NOT to effect a recovery while contracting for the major clubs. Some of the items may have changed due to public/membership pressure, but clubs etc are really only insurance companies, and we know how they wriggle when faced with a claim, well some recovery companies also look for a way out.
A fellow worker always carried a tape masure with him. When called to anything larger than a transit, he measured it and called into the club if it was over " I think" 20 feet, the club would then advise the member that it was a commercial vehicle and they had to transfer to a commercial scheme, and pay a lot extra.

It is unfortunatley your responsibility to check the small print and chose a suitable scheme, knowing what I know........I use ADAC.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I had ALPS European breakdown / recovery through Frank Pickles. Cant remember how much, but reasonable and seemed good cover.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You flogging that Rapido and getting somat bigger then Hilda?

Peter

Now now Biggles...

Its 3.8T as it is,...

160w Solar
220Amp LB
Rev Camera
Gaslow
Microwave
TV
Sat
Water Filter
What else would I need?

Oh besides, a VERY reasonably priced Thetford kit from my very fav and kind generous, ex smoking, ex super stud, ex Royal Flying Corps person...

Is that enough of a plug to get me 25%?

Times are hard Biggles... (Oh yes you always try that one, when sitting on your very expensive yacht, with Thai hand maidens)

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
I use Britannia Rescue. Had to use them last year in France and they are well organised.

Terms for motorhomes:-

"Motorhomes – must not be more than 8 metres in length or a weight when fully loaded of 7.5 tonnes and must be a recognised make and model which has been coach-built for that precise purpose. We will only cover vehicles over these limits if we have specifically agreed this with you, before your cover began. If appropriate you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel."

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be aware that if you do have recovery for vehicles over 3,500kg the small print may say that you lose some of the benefits given to vehicles up to 3,500kg - on one policy we had the free car and hotel accommodation in mainland Europe wasn't available for vehicles over 3,500kg as they were then classed as commercial recovery which didn't supply such things as part of their scheme.

So, just because you've got recovery over 3,500kg doesn't mean you still get everything ... check the small print carefully!!!!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Be aware that if you do have recovery for vehicles over 3,500kg the small print may say that you lose some of the benefits given to vehicles up to 3,500kg - on one policy we had the free car and hotel accommodation in mainland Europe wasn't available for vehicles over 3,500kg as they were then classed as commercial recovery which didn't supply such things as part of their scheme.

So, just because you've got recovery over 3,500kg doesn't mean you still get everything ... check the small print carefully!!!!

That is not the case with the RAC commercial recovery offered by Comfort Insurance.

When we broke down in Italy they rang us up about 5pm and checked if the garage was going to be able to complete the job that night. They said they would arange an Hotel for us if necessary. We have a 7.1m 4600kg Motorhome. They will also recover any trailer if required.

If you pick and mix you may not get sufficient cover. Our policy is tailor made for Motorhome use and includes UK and Continental breakdown.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back