Security, safe maybe... (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just wondering how people secure possessions that have to be left in their MH. I know some use the small safes you can get and I assume have them bolted somehere.

I would on occasion like to take a DSLR and a couple of lenses and other bits but would not like to leave them unsecured when out and about.

A larger safe might be a possibility.

One thought is that we have an island bed which lifts up for storage, has anyone with one of these tried to find a way to maybe lock the bed down? (only just thought of this).

Plenty of room for camera bag and safe and a thief might not know it lifts, but if they tried and it didn`t move easily might just give up.

Any other ideas suggestions?/

Thanks

Steve

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have a strong box

We have a strong box like a safe that is key operated and we have it chained in with a security cable so we can pull it out to get in side.. can take a fair bit of gear, cameras, satellite equipment etc., it is about 12" square.. heavy... first they have to get past the VanBitz alarm system and the dog.

Bob

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I purchased a safe from another funster, large enough for my cameras and passports etc, still haven't fitted it......if you want it, pm me, it's still in the box......Griff

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My safe is fitted under the bed, takes laptop cameras and other stuff.
Something I do is hide one card somewhere obscure, so i've got one in the event of others being nicked.
Obviously they've got to get past alarms and the dog, though in practice we don't leave her alone in the van for anything other than a short period. As you can see from my avatar she is not very frightening, but still got some growing to do.:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have a fireproof safe stuck and drilled to the floor in my van...........

Also having hefty security bolts on doors fitted today as I tour on my own plus upgrading the burglar alarm to!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Apparently our Burstner has a wicked hiding place under one of the seats.

We havent been able to find it yet though:Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just wondering how people secure possessions that have to be left in their MH. I know some use the small safes you can get and I assume have them bolted somehere.

I would on occasion like to take a DSLR and a couple of lenses and other bits but would not like to leave them unsecured when out and about.

A larger safe might be a possibility.

One thought is that we have an island bed which lifts up for storage, has anyone with one of these tried to find a way to maybe lock the bed down? (only just thought of this).

Plenty of room for camera bag and safe and a thief might not know it lifts, but if they tried and it didn`t move easily might just give up.

Any other ideas suggestions?/

Thanks

Steve
Best not let anyone know what you take away and where you are keeping it. :ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]I have a fireproof safe stuck and drilled to the floor in my van...........
[/HI]
Also having hefty security bolts on doors fitted today as I tour on my own plus upgrading the burglar alarm to!
Not a Swift floor is it:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Layers of defense is always good.

I have deadlocks fitted which are a major improvement as they will have to climb in and out of the windows now. This in itself I would think would be a major deterrent?

I then leave some old expired debit cards etc in a not so well hidden place. Hopefully they will not look too closely and just bugger off at this point :Doh:

20 Euros in a fake tomato soup tin.

Then a great whacking safe bolted to the chassis through the floor.

I haven't bothered with an alarm just yet as everyone ignores the damn things when they go off and I have other things which I need to spend the money on.

I have a battery isolator switch fitted which I can take the key out of. There is also an imobiliser.

I also know which is the fuel pump fuse and would remove that if I was leaving it overnight.

The deadlocks are permanently locked except on the sliding door and I am fitting a chain to that on the inside like what you find in a domestic front door.

Few other things but these are the main one.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Personally I have never bothered with a safe, rightly or wrongly, the van is immobilsed and alarmed and I do take reasonable security precautions.

Cash is always in several places, and I have a "dummy" wallet with a few euros, old membership cards, and a couple of expired credit cards. We carry this in the cab to give to any muggers and leave it, not in view, but easy to find.

We got our van last April, and it wasn't until June that we discovered that we had a cupboard we didn't know about, that is pretty well hidden away. Given that we didn't find it for 2 months it seems a reasonable place to keep things hidden!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
small digital safes can be bought cheaply enough for about £20 and if securely screwed down should prevent the opportunist thief. Just make sure you dont fix it in such a way as to leave gaps that could be used for leverage. The damage caused could be more expensive and inconvenient than losing a few valuables

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I have big swivel locks on the cab door and garage, steering wheel bar lock, immobilizer but will prob get wheel lock kit and a few of those cheap pin pull alarms for windows. If im going to leave it in a not to secure looking area i dont know for long periods i will wind down the rear legs and lock them and take a fuse or two out to fully disable the MH. OTT better safe than sorry !! :Sad:

I am thinking of buying a small digital combination key safe to fix somewhere under my fiat duccato 2004 MH . losing keys when away seems to me the biggest worry as far as losing stuff is concerned, where underneath would you think is the best spot to bolt one on without to much damage to int flooring or hitting hidden cables etc... ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having keys stolen in order to steal your van is always a possibility. My alarm immobiliser can be set to require a PIN as well as the key to start, I've not used it yet but it sounds like a pretty good idea. Anyone else do this?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Makes me wonder how ever did we manage with just a tent::bigsmile:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Tent ! that reminds me need mines to protect drive away awning when i get one !!!!::bigsmile:

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
I purchased a toolbox like you see on the back of pickup trucks that can be secured to the floor with bolts, it has a disclock fitted so can't be attacked with a grinder and is constructed such that it can't be jemmied, it's about 750x400x400 can't remember where I bought it but google vanboxes and you will find something, paid about £100 big enough to take all camera kit laptop etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back