LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sounds a stupid question but today I was speaking to a person who I know has recently got a self converted van and he was picking my brains etc (hard to find them:winky:)and he proudly showed me his suitcase genny :thumb:You probably know my thoughts on gennys etc, and getting things you do not need :winky:Anyway he showed me a lead he has made up so that the genny simply clips onto the battery via crock clips to charge his battery-it has a 12v plug-Now call me stupid but I always thought that you would simply make up a 240v lead using the hook up point and let the van charger charge the battery :thumb: or am I missing something?I have a 22amp hr charger that would work off the genny so why would you want to charge battery's from a 4 amp hr genny output ?
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
perhaps he has no on board charger

Perhaps he has no on board charger or transformer and the only way he can charge the batteries is by the croc clips...

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
perhaps his genny was a cheapo non signwave version which
(Sparkies correct me if im wrong) can damage your onboard
charger

regards
Steve

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If we have to use the genny to charge the batteries, which is very rare, we start the genny and use it to power the Ctek charger which charges and conditions the batteries quicker and better than the onboard charger.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Perhaps he has no on board charger or transformer and the only way he can charge the batteries is by the croc clips...

Bob

its a self build, the GEnny IS the built in charger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No to both it has a built in zig type unit :Doh: I just could not think /figure out why he envisaged charging this way :Doh:
terry

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
No to both it has a built in zig type unit :Doh: I just could not think /figure out why he envisaged charging this way :Doh:
terry

Probably because it'll say on the instructions that you can.

So he does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back