Awning / Safari Room...... +dog. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Having only just purchased our first MH we have always `imagined` that we would want/need some sort of enclosed awning/safari room. We have a GS puppy and think that when the weather is hot it would be better for him to sleep outside, plus, on the odd occasion that we need to leave him back at the ranch so to speak, it would be better if he were outside.

We willl probably expect to stay on site for 3-4 day (maybe more) quite regularly.

Putting aside any suggestion that we don`t actually `need` one for the moment, can anyone suggest a make/model that would fit and be relatively quick/easy to put up/down/carry. Also, we would need to block off under the vehicle as well, is that possible?

We have a Fiamma canopy that is about 18ft long, rolls out about 7ft 6in and is about the same in height at the leg end if you know what I mean.

Ideally something with a seperate enclosed section where the dog could sleep would be good.

Do thay have to attach to the canopy in some way?

Any suggestions/ideas and or links to makes/models etc would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just noticed the link in my reply above is for the caravanstor awning which isn't the one you've got. There is one for the standard fiamma roll out awning though

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/categories/Awnings-Annexes-Groundsheets/Fiamma-Zip-Motorhome-Awning-/

or http://www.johnscross.co.uk/categories/Awnings-Annexes-Groundsheets/Fiamma-F65-Motorhome-Awnings/
for the non-zip ones

Johns Cross is a member of this site but of course other places sell them too.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Steve, weve got dogs too, 3 staffies and know what you mean.

Have had awnings from just about most manufacturers and roll outs with privacy rooms from both fiamma and omnistor.

drive away awnings can be zipped up and self contained or attached to the van. Some manufacturers even sell bedroom annexes that zip onto the end. However you will have to factor in the hassle of assembling/disassembling and storage concerns when travelling.

privacy rooms for plain edged canopies like the standard fiamma are in my experience little use in higher winds as the sides just clip on to the roof with bits of plastic. The van side has a skirt but most dogs can get through them. The fiamma zip models though solve the problem by as the name suggests adding zippers to the sides for joining. much stronger

on balance I would say that if your dog really cant be trusted alone in the van, even in a fabric crate type bed, then the driveaway or a pop up dome tent is best for his safety when unsupervised, Please be aware though that the inside of a closed awning gets as hot as a closed up car in summer time.

We leave the dogs in the van with all skylights open, but only for an hour at most and then usually only in the evening if we pop to the pub for a meal. As mentioned ours have pop up crates/cages made of fabric and they feel secure in there and we know theyre safe:thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yes, that`s probably the sort of thing i thought we would want/need, my canopy does not say `zip` though so not sure if that matters.

I have heard mention about `drive away` awnings but not seen any, as we have a 28ft tag which is not the easiest thing to park, not sure how much `driving away` we will end up doing.

There is a number on the canopy (Fiamma 45 i think), I assume that there are standard sizes of awnings/safari rooms made to fit these different canopies, is that about right?

thanks

Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Yes, that`s probably the sort of thing i thought we would want/need, my canopy does not say `zip` though so not sure if that matters.

I have heard mention about `drive away` awnings but not seen any, as we have a 28ft tag which is not the easiest thing to park, not sure how much `driving away` we will end up doing.

There is a number on the canopy (Fiamma 45 i think), I assume that there are standard sizes of awnings/safari rooms made to fit these different canopies, is that about right?

thanks

Steve

sizing a safari room is done by taking a measurment of the height from the floor at van side and length in metres. They come in set lengths a 3 different adjustable heights lo medium and high.

drive away awnings are a tent like affair similar to those used on caravans but with a back on and a skirt that attaches to the van

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=drive+away+awning

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hi, I have tried all manour of shelter affairs for my dog, but in the end she always chooses to lay under the vehicle, where there is a slight draft that keeps her cool. When iside she is left to her own devises, she always chooses to lay under the table. i try to never leave her alone for too long as the idea of having a dog is for them to go with you as part of the family......

Enjoy every minute.

Cheyne

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
as the idea of having a dog is for them to go with you as part of the family......

Cheyne

Thanks, I agree, but so are the kids (part of the family), but it`s nice to leave them behind sometimes too.....::bigsmile:

The dog is one major consideration, but as we expect to be on site for a few days quite often, it would be nice to have the extra room and be able to sit/cook/eat in it too.

Steve

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I have the fiamma zip system which is very good. I have 3 dogs ( 2 loopy irish setters and a cheeky yorkie) I take with me a large metal crate for the dogs in the privacy room (the 2 setters together). I tend not to leave them on their own, but the privacy room has roll up blinds all round so they would get plenty ventilation.

Shirl

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have the fiamma zip system which is very good. I have 3 dogs ( 2 loopy irish setters and a cheeky yorkie) I take with me a large metal crate for the dogs in the privacy room (the 2 setters together). I tend not to leave them on their own, but the privacy room has roll up blinds all round so they would get plenty ventilation.

Shirl

Thanks.

Am i right in thinking that as my canopy does not say `zip` on it, I cannot use the zip system without first changing my canopy at a cost of a few hundred £££`s?

Thanks

Steve

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Thanks.

Am i right in thinking that as my canopy does not say `zip` on it, I cannot use the zip system without first changing my canopy at a cost of a few hundred £££`s?

Thanks

Steve

Yep , true Steve. I bought a 3.5m fiamma zip canopy on its own(£450) as I had bought a used privacy room from MMH magazine for £175, so cheaper than buying the whole thing new. The privacy room had never been used so well pleased.

Shirl

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have the Omnister safari room.

Pretty easy to put up. It takes 2 of us about 20 minutes now. When we first got it would take about 40 minutes.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We bought a pre owned 'Drive Away' 3 yrs ago-seemed like a good idea at time ::bigsmile:
As we don't spend much time on campsites it has only been used 3 times.We soon found that putting it up or taking it down in inclement weather was a hassle,and,if you leave a campsite with it put away wet,you have to dry it out as soon as possible.
We did 'drive away' from it once and that side of it was quite easy-but we really tend to use our bikes for local trips.
I got it down from the loft to take to Marjal-but then we realised that after we leave Marjal we would just be carrying it around for 6 weeks-and you can get a few boxes of wine in the space it would take up.So,it's back in the loft again.:ROFLMAO:
We get back from Marjal end of April and mid May we go off up North,ending up at the Bring and Buy on way home-we will take it on that trip-it may not make it home ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a Fiama non zip type awning and matching safari room.. Bought from John Cross ( thank you Peter ) at a very competitive price.

Although not a zip type it stil only takes me ( on my own ) about 20 minutes to completely deploy

The safari room is now 4 years old, is used a LOT ( probably up for about 5 months of the year in various locations !! ) and is wearing very well indeed, especially taken in to consideration the abuse it has had and the hellish high winds it has withstood

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Just a point, there are not a lot of things that will contain a GS if he wants to get out.......certainly not an awning or safari room.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a point, there are not a lot of things that will contain a GS if he wants to get out.......certainly not an awning or safari room.

Well I can house my BMW1200 GS in my awning easily.. and so far it has never once tried to escape..................:thumb: ::bigsmile:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Well I can house my BMW1200 GS in my awning easily.. and so far it has never once tried to escape..................:thumb: ::bigsmile:

If the gypos see it left alone they may help it escape:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !!
Given a large % of the family are of the Itinerant ( well, Romany ) persuasion I do have a tiny bit of immunity :winky:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
LOL !!
Given a large % of the family are of the Itinerant ( well, Romany ) persuasion I do have a tiny bit of immunity :winky:

Fair enuff.

Can I put an order in for some dolly pegs and a bunch of lucky heather:ROFLMAO:

Oh and me drives already been done.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back