Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Peuget Boxer petrol/lpg I have owned for 2 years. Each year I have sent it in for an annual service. As I have only done about 1K miles is this necessary?
The oil is as clear as new, the engine runs sweetly hence I ask the question.
My cautious nature says prevention is better than cure and unless I can be convinced otherwise I shall have it serviced, but it is always a good idea to ask why, rather than just do something out of habit.

Norman

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know a lot of people that just service every other year due to low mileage. You should however change the oil yearly as it breaks down over time and can harm the engine. Equally dont mess about with getting the cam belt changed within the set parameters for your vehicle.

Other than that, just get the vehicle checked over for faults like you do with the MOT test

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Purely an opinion, but based on what I do for a living and have earned a reasonablt decent reputation doing.........
If you are not of a mechanical bent, it would be prudent to get the braking system checked, but other than that.. Not worth it..

I often get quoted 'oh, the oil should be changed every year no matter what'

To which I have a stock reply 'Show me a sell by date on a container of oil, and I will agree'

I no longer work on cars or vans if I can avoid it, prefering to remain strictly on extremely high performance motorcycles.. Even those I will never change oil and filter if the service interval has not been reached ( unless the customer is insistent and believes they know more about the bike than the good folk who designed it )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
If you have a local independant garage that you can trust then they should give you good sound advice on this.
As a garage we have lots of customers who have very low mileage use on their vehicles each year. Each case is different but as a general rule we advise at least an annual oil & filter change and would give the vehicle a good check over whilst this is being done.
Would suggest a 'full Service' be done every other year regardless of milleage to check physical condition of brakes, pipes etc and replace spark plugs or diesel filter if required.
Many people think if they are having an MOT then everything will be checked on this but some components I.E. brakes only have to meet a minimum standard to pass an MOT.
We also have manufacturers service schedules on our system and these can sometimes be good to follow as not every compnent is replaced at every service -- just make sure you don't pay main dealer labour rates :)Eeek:) and it should be cost effective:thumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have a Peuget Boxer petrol/lpg I have owned for 2 years. Each year I have sent it in for an annual service. As I have only done about 1K miles is this necessary?
The oil is as clear as new, the engine runs sweetly hence I ask the question.
My cautious nature says prevention is better than cure and unless I can be convinced otherwise I shall have it serviced, but it is always a good idea to ask why, rather than just do something out of habit.

Norman

Hi Norman
Haven't managed to sell her yet then mate? I personally as others have said, would service every other year but no harm in having her checked over by a trustworthy garage annually:thumb: If the oil is that clean I would expect a good trustworthy garage to ask why? :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I guess a habitation check is out of the question then :whatthe:
Jim
:roflmto:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Norman some new vehicles have a service of 20 000 miles or 2 years so as Jaws says oil should be ok. I have mine booked in for Thursday for service MOT and timing belt change i get mine done every year and only do about 5k in it but makes me feel better and hopefully should last longer.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i didn't get ours serviced last december as we only did 1200 miles in it.
this year it will be due its first Mot so it will get done before that.
i had it done last year at just over 2000 miles because the oil filter was showing signs of rust on the outside possibly fitted when the van was built back in 2007.
the only thing i am going to do is get the rear Alko axles greased as this year we will be travelling a bit more in it.

at the moment we are living in it and have been for the last year so am very aware of any moisture issues and deal with them as soon as noticed i personally check the van over every week and lubricate the locker handles and hinges as required.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
They usually say, use it or lose it the inference being that anything left lying about will deteriorate. On that basis alone, surely its a good idea to service every 12 months or in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.
Jim
:Smile:

hawkmoon

Free Member
Feb 9, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I often get quoted 'oh, the oil should be changed every year no matter what'

To which I have a stock reply 'Show me a sell by date on a container of oil, and I will agree'

I once quoted on a forum that was going on about old oil that it is thousands of years old when they get it out of the ground :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That is the important bit as they can seize up and become VERY EXPENSIVE, have that done every year

Peter

What worry me is that not all workshops/dealers know how to do it properly and simply pump grease in without taking the weight off first. This leaves owners thinking that they have done the right thing only to have a seized axle later:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Peter, could you explain Alko Axles please

Norman

Not all vans have an Alko chassis and rear axle, but those that do require regular maintenance and greasing preferably yearly. To do so the van needs raising and weight removed from wheels allowing them to pivot down. then pump in grease to the nipples on the axle

Axles that are not greased or done incorrectly can and do seize up and fail requiring a very expensive replacement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back