Satellite Dish Mounting Bracket? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am looking for a satellite mounting bracket that I can permanently attach to the back of my panel van conversion.

I am on a bit of a budget at the moment so a roof mounted one isn't an option. I can pick up a satellite internet package including hardware for less than 500 Euros but mounting it to the back of the van is proving to be interesting to say the least.

I have looked at the tripods but these would be blown over when I am on a hard standing such as aires in France.

I have considered all the options and the best one for me is something mounted on the rear of the van. I just need to find a bracket. Here are the requirements.

1. I must be able to remove the dish for storage.
  2. It can't stick out more than 12" when stowed. Doesn't matter how far it sticks out when in use though.
  3. Must allow the dish 45 Degrees of motion from straight out giving me 90 Degrees total left right movement. I will park the van facing south when I need to use it.
I am open to any suggestions or pointers ::bigsmile:
Thanks guys :winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why? :Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i have an old awning pole fastened to the rear ladder on my van.
when i get on site i just put on another section with the dish attached to it and as it is above the van with the extra piece on it i have a full 360 deg rotation if i need it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks aba. I don't have a ladded on the back of the van. I don't want it peeking over the top of the van for practical reasons (solar panels being one)

I have just Link Removed.... If I stick a steel plate to the inside of the door
3mm steel or something similar then moun this to the outside.
I can quickly fix the dish to this and when not fitted I can push it flush against the back doors?

What do you guys reckon?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just had another thought for you if you get one of the household wall mounting brackets with the large flat plate you could fasten it on a larger aluminium plate with some strong magnets fastened to it then you just have to plonk it on the roof and if you use an old sky minidish they have holes in them and dont get as much wind as a solid dish.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/images/patio_stand.jpg

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Aba, roof mount is not possible. I don't carry ladders with me and have no access to the roof in normal usage.

For those interested this is the kit I am looking at
Broken Link Removed

I am looking at the 10 Meg one.
Broken Link Removed

This is the hardware.
Broken Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
what about a towbar mounted bracket or something similar???

if you don't have a towbar then a piece of angle iron mounted where the towing eye fits on the rear of the van with a tube for the dish on that.

just thinking about not drilling holes in the bodywork.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Patio mounts not practical as they would have to be on the roof.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Towbar mounting not practical either. I have loads of gear attached to the back of the van. these would get in the way. It needs to be mount above the half way point on the doors. Top half panel.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
why ?

you get 90 deg ones

They are permanent fixings, for ones that would allow an 80cm dish enough motion they stick out too far and don't move flush with the door.

Did you see the Link Removed? Any thoughts on that?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yeah.. that looks good ..

I had similar on the roof of the RV (before the Maxview) .. used to fold it flat for travelling

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
loads of options in the tv aerial section of B&Q

The tv aerial poles for caravans would not be strong enough to take the weight as many mounts are plastic.

Another option for a removable mount would be to use those strong double or triple suction cups used for moving glass. You could fix a pole to one or more of these and a bonus is, if you cant get a signal from the back of the van, move it to the side or front easily

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
loads of options in the tv aerial section of B&Q

The tv aerial poles for caravans would not be strong enough to take the weight as many mounts are plastic.

Another option for a removable mount would be to use those strong double or triple suction cups used for moving glass. You could fix a pole to one or more of these and a bonus is, if you cant get a signal from the back of the van, move it to the side or front easily

I use one of these 4 suction cup mounts for my long range wifi arial.
I doubt it would be much good for the satellite dish. Also could warp the panels with that much weight on them.... Nice idea though. I did look for magnetic mounts but these would be a bitch to get off again.... :ROFLMAO::Doh:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am now thinking this bracket would do the job.
Link Removed

One of these dishes with a folding arm.
Here

I could then keep the tripod for when I am on a site and can't face in the right direction. For aires I would ensure I could park in the right direction.

With the folding LNB arm I could leave the dish attacked to the back of the van when driving. Just need to bolt two eyes and have a strap across to prevent it coming loose while moving...

I just hope the tooway Buc (LNB) is a standard 40mm mount......

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
magnetic mounts are easy to come by if you look for CB mag mounts. Either use 3/8 BSP threaded bolts directly in the aerial socket or strip it down and re-engineer it using stainless bolts and wing nuts

Removing them, and of course preventing scratches, put a piece of thin cloth behind. Makes getting the off far easier by lifting one side

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
personally I use a folding arm triax dish mounted on a speaker tripod from Maplin. Experience has shown that using a 5ltr water can hung from a bungee in the midle of the tripod base stops it falling in the wind. Weathered a pretty nasty storm last year with it and was still watching TV when others had taken their dishes down

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you say you want 90deg movement, presumably each way of centre, but with the U shaped mount in your link you wont get a full 90deg either way of centre.

the bracket is 300mm off the wall but the dish in your other link is 700mm...you would need a 60cm dish.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
you say you want 90deg movement, presumably each way of centre, but with the U shaped mount in your link you wont get a full 90deg either way of centre.

the bracket is 300mm off the wall but the dish in your other link is 700mm...you would need a 60cm dish.

Check out Pythagoras theorem :winky:

square root of ((300mm x 300mm) + (300mm x 300mm)) = 424mm
424 x 2 = 848mm more than enough for an 80cm dish:winky:::bigsmile:

Correct me if my maths is wrong please.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Check out Pythagoras theorem :winky:

square root of ((300mm x 300mm) + (300mm x 300mm)) = 424mm
424 x 2 = 848mm more than enough for an 80cm dish:winky:::bigsmile:

Correct me if my maths is wrong please.
stuff Pythagoras :winky: where the hell does the square root come into it.....if the bracket stands off the wall (van) by 30cm and half a 70cm dish is 35cm then it is too wide.:thumb:

or

half of 70cm = 35cm
max length of bracket from immoveable object =30cm

35cm will not fit in a 30cm space
simple mathematics at its easiest

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
stuff Pythagoras :winky: where the hell does the square root come into it.....if the bracket stands off the wall (van) by 30cm and half a 70cm dish is 35cm then it is too wide.:thumb:

I am guessing we must be misunderstanding each other here?:cry:

I want the dish to move 45 degrees each way. The dish will form the hypotenuse of an equilateral triangle hence Pythagoras.

I just linked the first dish I saw that was near 80cm. This one would probably be better however 78cm. BUT the width is only 57cm so it would work however you want to calculate it :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I am guessing we must be misunderstanding each other here?:cry:

I want the dish to move 45 degrees each way. The dish will form the hypotenuse of an equilateral triangle hence Pythagoras.

I just linked the first dish I saw that was near 80cm. This one would probably be better however 78cm. BUT the width is only 57cm so it would work however you want to calculate it :winky:

no misunderstanding...just my not reading properly.

i presumed you meant 90deg EACH WAY of center...not 90deg total movement. :Doh:

so...we are both correct, just on different subjects :roflmto:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ahhh. Now I see where we lost each other :winky::ROFLMAO:

I said in my original post.
Must allow the dish 45 Degrees of motion from straight out giving me 90 Degrees total left right movement. I will park the van facing south when I need to use it.

No problems with the new dish size though :winky:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look ( google ) vision plus multi mast it will clip to the top and bottom channels of the rear door. might work:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back