countrykiwis

Free Member
Feb 24, 2012
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi to all. Hubby and I are planning our old age (well we're not THAT old, 60 & 65) OE (overseas experience) for 2013. First half Europe, 2nd half UK. Have just found out about motor home exchanging. Haven't bought ours yet - going to buy a small bus, probably about 6 metres, will be fully self contained. Is there anyone out there interested in swapping theirs (LH for Europe RH for UK) for ours?? This will be a trip of a lifetime for us ::bigsmile: Ann

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi and welcome to the fun. You might want to provide some pictures and details, you never know.

Is this a permanent swap you envisage or a temporary one. Short term Motorhome swapping seems to be good idea and I'm sure it should be more popular than it is, especially the long haul swops, USA and Aus etc. But as far as I'm aware it rarely happens between strangers. There have been a few sites set up to facilitate it but they disappear quickly, in fact at one time i was going to open a swap section here.

Insurance can be a problem for non reidents and the thought of someone else sat on your your loo puts plenty off, but whatever it is, its not as popular as it might be. maybe i should revisit it. Meanwhile I wish you well in your search, upload some photos and see what happens, and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Hi, We had a brilliant month in NZ in January and hired a campervan for the South Island leg.
We met another UK couple who had arranged an exchange with a guy in Auckland and were more than delighted with the experience. He is coming over to the UK in 2013 for the return half of the deal.

When we came back we found < this > site which looks interesting.

Hope you enjoy the UK as much as we fell in love with NZ.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi to all. Hubby and I are planning our old age (well we're not THAT old, 60 & 65) OE (overseas experience) for 2013. First half Europe, 2nd half UK. Have just found out about motor home exchanging. Haven't bought ours yet - going to buy a small bus, probably about 6 metres, will be fully self contained. Is there anyone out there interested in swapping theirs (LH for Europe RH for UK) for ours?? This will be a trip of a lifetime for us ::bigsmile: Ann

It really isn't a big deal which side the steering wheel is, I have had both at one time or another, it takes minutes to get used to. :thumb:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would agree that the difference between LH and RH drive would not make me want to go to the trouble of changing vans.I have never had any problems driving abroad.My advice would be to get the best van you can get and find out everything about how it works.Knowing your van and having confidence in it is the key to a great trip.:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tena Koe, e hoa:thumb: Te nga kwae Kussie:winky:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
This may be helpful,scroll down and read full add.

Link Removed

may be worth a call
Hope it helps
Regards
Steve:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello and welcome from France.
I drive French car & LHD m/home in UK with no problems. It's easier when 2 of you as always help with looking at junctions--I've found I have to make sure I position myself just right at junctions.

House swapping is so popular (friend of mine in her 60s spent 6 months over last winter in Oz and NZ all on house swaps) & she often includes her car in the swap, that it must be possible. But I think maybe people are more protective of their motorhome than their house--I know I would be.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your travels.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It really isn't a big deal which side the steering wheel is, I have had both at one time or another, it takes minutes to get used to. :thumb:

No - they already have a van - it's in NZ where they live.

They are looking to borrow a van/vans over here when they come, with the 'donors' taking a holiday in NZ and borrowing their van, when they do.

Bit like 'House swap' holidays only mobile and not necessary to be at the same time - providing the European owners also live in a house, not their van.

OP
OP
C

countrykiwis

Free Member
Feb 24, 2012
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks

Many thanks to all your responses and input.
Rangitra - tena koe to you too
Hollyberry - we love your area and the Lot, have friends at L'Herm who grow lavender
spannermanwigan - will check this out
tony_g - yep, seen that site, interesting
We have had a small bus in the past and hubby drives many different vehicles in his work so we would be taking superb care of any vehicle.
We have driven a car in France and Germany but hubby felt for a bigger vehicle like a motor home he would prefer a LH drive.
Will keep researching !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The way many Aussies and Kiwis do this is a very poorly kept secret. There is a Road in London near the Australian Embassy that seems to always have cheap vans for sale. Aussie no1 buys it first and uses for his European travels then before returning home advertises in Oz or NZ for sale. People kiwi2 buying fly out to uk and meet up to see van. Do paperwork and bank transfer then seller flys home.

Its a great way of doing it, as the vans then tend to have everything included from pots and pans through to maps and bedding. Many even leave a letter saying where the van has travelled and leave details of what not to miss and where to avoid.

We got involved with this years ago when we sold our van at the time to a couple from South Africa. They asked us to either leave in or source what extras we could and agreed a good price for doing so on top of what we were asking. Even payed us in cash when they collected having first given us a substantial deposit. Last we heard the van is still going well many seasons later and who knows how many changes of keepers.

In essence you invest the money for the duration of your travels and get it back (or most of it) when returning home. Less stressful than driving somebody elses pride and joy or letting a stranger drive yours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back