Dethleffs unveils the ‘Evan’ compact Class A motorhome (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Broken Link Removed

Dethleffs GmbH & Co. KG, an RV manufacturer based in Isny im Allgäuin in south-eastern Baden-Württemberg, Germany, has unveiled a ground breaking concept Class A motorhome called “The Evan” which is a mere 5.65 metres long and 2.15 metres wide. "I've long been convinced that the time is ripe for a new vehicle concept. A flexible compact vehicle that combines the benefits of a variety of different motorhomes” said Dethleffs designer Michael Studer on the company’s Facebook page.
Broken Link Removed

The new two-tone coloured Evan – which was unveiled at the 2012 CMT show in Stuttgart, Germany – was an attempt by Studer to create a practical and compact RV that could still provide plenty of room whilst on vacation. This somewhat contradictory requirement – which also called for a full toilet, shower and 4-6 beds – proved to be extremely challenging. Studer analyzed a number of different RVs including compact camper vans like the VW California and Vito Marco Polo, high-roof vans like the Fiat Ducato and full-size Class A motorhomes – we’re talking European size not US size Class A mohos – and attempted to incorporate all the pros (space in the roof area, good insulation and multiple berths) and non of the cons (like the absence of a toilet and shower in many camper vans) in his creation of a flexible and yet compact living space.

Broken Link Removed

Read More

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I thought it looked quite interesting, and a clever use of space in a compact van. We used to have a Rapido 709F, which was exactly the same length. Handy for fitting into parking spaces etc And I think I'm right in saying the new A-Class is slightly narrower than a standard coachbuilt van.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Wouldn't fancy replacing that windscreen. :Sad: An arm and a leg comes to mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife would love that

:Doh:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Yuk looks like an office, dos'nt do much for me I afraid:RollEyes:

Oh no...maybe that's why i like it...how sad :Blush:

Ditch the name and the dodgy wheels though please.

more info and a panoramic inside view

Broken Link Removed

The folding roof can't be needed for headroom, can it, so is it for extra sleeping places like a campervan?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Nop still not impressed in fact even less so with the rising roof and back door? whats that all about?, although the seats in the diner look nice and cumfy, much better than any bench:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Agree with all those who said it looks clinical and sterile. Doesn't look very cosy to us:RollEyes:

In fact it reminds me of the last time I was on a train from Glasgow to London..........Intercity springs to mind, "Let the train take the strain!":Blush:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Very stylish but where do you sleep exactly? is it in the roof somewhere?:whatthe:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
It doesn't look like the best place to put that tv (on the side window), nobody sitting at that table can posssibly watch it from that angle:RollEyes:

Or perhaps someone just put it there without putting too much thought into it:Doh:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
It's a nice attempt at something different.

I like the wheels and the clean lines inside and out, but wonder how much headroom there is with the top un-popped.

Not a "lounging" sort of camper by the looks of it, the seating looks too formal.

And SWMBO would say a big NO to a Porta-Potti. You'd run out of fresh water in a day or two with 4 people on board, and the loo would need emptying every day also.

Ultimately, I think they've been a bit too ambitious to say it's a genuine 4 person camper, much better to make it for only 2.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
That looks rather good.................well done for trying something new..........would like more views and benefits though ?

But initially impressed

barry

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
It's still a concept and as such shows off the designers skills and taste (?). These projects are usually subject to a dose of realism before they are inflicted on the public. I think it shows promise. With a name like EVAN it should sell well in Wales::bigsmile:.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
It's still a concept and as such shows off the designers skills and taste (?). These projects are usually subject to a dose of realism before they are inflicted on the public. I think it shows promise. With a name like EVAN it should sell well in Wales::bigsmile:.

if they design it they should have to live in it for a month then they may re-think a few things

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

I think that side locker is for sheep.....?

barry

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Concept looks good but I agree that it does look a bit clinical, but so do a lot of the new designs. Good to see some new stuff being thought about though and it shows there is still a willingness on the part of manufacturers to come up with something different. Not sure I could afford one even if it became available.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I may be a yank fan but

I may be a RV or yank fan, but I did take the trouble to follow a lot of the links on this. I would not say no to it out of hand. It has some interesting design features.. I would be interested to have a look at the production model if and when.

Now for me the 4 doors is a big selling feature.. also as an every day duel use vehicle it would tick a lot of boxes.. expensive .. but not to over the top.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back