sea fishing (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
After some info from you sea anglers out there, Rivers I`m comfortable on but haven`t a clue re sea fishing gear.
So Rods and Reels, I`m thinking fishing off the rocks, piers, anything from 1oz leads to 6 oz`s.

Have looked at the Shimano biomaster 8000 reels but Rods haven`t a clue.

Looking for 2 outfits, hopefully that will cover my needs, also a travel type of rod would be better for storage.
Any advice carefully considered, thanks. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Depends how much you want to spend on a rod.

I have just bought a 9 foot pier rod for the van. It takes up very little space and is big enough to take a 4oz weight for fishing off the rocks and hopefully whippy enough to do some spinning. No good for beach fishing unless its a steep beach.

It cost £30

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have a few beach rods in the garage and possibly have a couple that i could get rid of.
if you venture to morecambe Gerry's is a good tackle shop that has everything from bait to 3 foot shark hooks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l used to go river fishing when l was a boy because my mates did. l found it incredibly boring. Now don't get me wrong, l watch people fishing off Ramsey breakwater, and enjoy that, but the fanaticism that some anglers behold is awesome.
l have driven past the beach in the darkest, coldest, and wettest weather and the die hards are there beach casting. Dozens of them! Mad! Not for me!
One thing that puzzles me is why a fisherman, or is that fisherperson, has to put on extended green rubber wellies that resemble green rubber stockings, to stand 3 feet further into the river? Couldn't they cast that extra 3 feet?

Craig (a none fishing person).

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
l used to go river fishing when l was a boy because my mates did. l found it incredibly boring. Now don't get me wrong, l watch people fishing off Ramsey breakwater, and enjoy that, but the fanaticism that some anglers behold is awesome.
l have driven past the beach in the darkest, coldest, and wettest weather and the die hards are there beach casting. Dozens of them! Mad! Not for me!
One thing that puzzles me is why a fisherman, or is that fisherperson, has to put on extended green rubber wellies that resemble green rubber stockings, to stand 3 feet further into the river? Couldn't they cast that extra 3 feet?

I find it better than hitting a golf ball and waking on a green to find 18 holes

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Craig (a none fishing person).[/QUOTE]

Craig, you got it in one buddy! I fly fish for salmon and sea trout and like most other game fishers use waders so we can put ourselves in a postion where we can cast to the fish holding spot's, when the river is in the right condition.

Fishing is the biggerst participation sport in the UK. However, if your not into it, your not into it and will get more fun from watching paint dry. It's that kind of activity.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
There is a certain pleasure in owning all the gear..........and sea fishing is a nice way to spend a day..........but I'll let you in on a secret......there are no more fish in the sea !

barry

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Robnchris
Theres a stall on Mold market Wed & Sat does all the fishing gear reasonably priced but if I was you I would go to the tackle shop in Flint, opposite Aldi and next to the T&G offices (big layby in front of the shop) all the staff there are absolute enthusiasts, a mine of information and the shop is well stocked for sea fishing as well.

Tight lines
Tony

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009

As a novice fly fisher person, the chest waders and jacket come in handy when one loses their footing and falls ar*e over t*t in the water...Keeps you dry...:ROFLMAO:

Shirl

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
As a novice fly fisher person, the chest waders and jacket come in handy when one loses their footing and falls ar*e over t*t in the water...Keeps you dry...:ROFLMAO:

Shirl

On some large rivers you have to wade just to get enough space behind you for a back cast........but its dangerous to get too deep. Always use a belt with chest waders.............use a wading staff....and the inflatable version of a fishing vest will help if it can keep you up.........some arent up to the task.

As for wading on reservoirs and still water.....learn to cast 30yds plus and you wont need to..... anyway the trout come in closer when you are not creating a disturbance.

barry

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
On some large rivers you have to wade just to get enough space behind you for a back cast........but its dangerous to get too deep. Always use a belt with chest waders.............use a wading staff....and the inflatable version of a fishing vest will help if it can keep you up.........some arent up to the task.

As for wading on reservoirs and still water.....learn to cast 30yds plus and you wont need to..... anyway the trout come in closer when you are not creating a disturbance.

barry

Hi Barry,

I would say learning to Roll Cast can save you a lot of that wading, with the roll cast you dont need all that free room behind you.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Hi Robnchris
Theres a stall on Mold market Wed & Sat does all the fishing gear reasonably priced but if I was you I would go to the tackle shop in Flint, opposite Aldi and next to the T&G offices (big layby in front of the shop) all the staff there are absolute enthusiasts, a mine of information and the shop is well stocked for sea fishing as well.

Tight lines
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that I`ll have a look at the tackle shop in flint that`s not too far from me, already decided to get a couple of the Simano biomaster xtb biomaster reels but would prefer to hold the rods first before buying. :thumb:

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp

Hi Craig,
Understand what you mean about being bored, but that can be said about anything that you aren`t interested in.
I love fishing the rivers, up in the morning Rods and baits in the car, with my Jack Russell of course, can`t leave the house with my Barbour coat and fishing rods without the dog.
Then it`s off to whichever river we are fishing, now we aren`t talking about setting out a camp on the river bank which I think even I would find boring after a while.
Tiggi and I set off along the bank, travelling light stalking fish, there is just something exciting about stalking fish, seeing your prey and setting out a cast to hook that fish.

Even better if I come home with a couple of Trout or Grayling and maybe even some horse mushrooms, quality..:thumb:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009

barry

I always use a wading staff and belt with my waders....I never wade in deeper than about 2 1/2 '....I fell in about 12'' of water whilst making my way to the boat.....

So looking forward to our trip in BC for chinook....

Shirl

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back