Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've been having a 'play' today-I read about HDR Imaging (High Dynamic Range) and decided to have a go.
The ideal is to choose a suitable subject (one which the eye can see but the camera cannot record all the detail,then shoot about 5 frames at different exposures and combine them using HDR software )
However,it is possible to take a RAW file and put that into HRD software and let the software do the Tonal Mapping.
Here's Giverny-1 which is the original RAW file edited in elements to give the best I could get-and then Giverny,which I put through the HRD software.

Mike.
Sharpness has really suffered during uploading-sorry-Mike.

Attachments

• Giverny-1 [800x600] copy.jpg
    Giverny-1 [800x600] copy.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Giverny [800x600] copy.jpg
    Giverny [800x600] copy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 79

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
In the early days of exploring Africa......they used to take colourful beads and trinkets to give to and impress the natives.
HDR is a very similar thing ......... a bright and shiny new toy for photographers.

Not a fan

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Unlike some people who - IMHO - overdo the HDR filter, I think you have done a very good job in that the end result is very subtle.

My choice when doing something similar is using the RAW file, otherwise you run the risk with multiple exposures of movement of clouds, people, water etc creating a rather jumbled final print.

Well done.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Would that be in the same way as digital photography or the horseless carriage were never going to catch on ?:ROFLMAO:

Mike.

In camera processing is alreading happeing in all cases.HDR is a way of combining the dynamic range of perhaps 3 shots or more.This was initially done with software like photomatix and needed several shots to be taken separately and then combined.Now quite a few cameras have this built in and it can be useful if used with great restraint.

Unfortunately like moths drawn to the light many people over do HDR. Sadly from all the examples posted on the net. most users showing little restraint in its application..........and thrilled with its trickery produce sickly
sentimental images that are no substitute for solid good photography.The best examples I have seen do not look like the classic over processed HDR.
Each to his own.

barry

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have messed about with HDR and some of the results are ok, some output that I have seen from others is OTT at best, if done well can be good, but there must be a lot of restraint...

The second one I don't understand is Tilt-shift photography, my question is WHY?

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This was initially done with software like photomatix and needed several shots to be taken separately and then combined.
barry

There is,of course,another application of the same principle used in Astrophotography,where several long exposures,or subs,are made without moving the camera (other than the tripod head automatically tracking).These 'subs' are then combined and also 'dark frames', shot with cap on lens,are subtracted to remove 'hot pixels'.
That's where I'm heading and HDR is a pleasant diversion along that route.Until I decide on
(and save up for) a suitable telescope. ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
The second one I don't understand is Tilt-shift photography, my question is WHY?

Tilt-shift has it's place, but is generally an arty type of photography. It can be good to capture lines of architecture to correct buildings that would look out of perspective with a normal lens. Apart from that it can also be used to select a focus point to force the viewer's attention to a particular area. It's great for making a scene look minature, although this can be done afterwards.

I like the idea of the flexibility of it, but would I buy a tilt-shift lens? £££££££ - No! But I'll probably get a Lensbaby in the future which is a cost effective tilt lens for messing around with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back