New File Added: Supplementary Power - Comparison Chart (1 Viewer)

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Downloads: A new file has been added by pablomc:

Link Removed

File as discussed in Link Removed.

Please note it is not scientific and very subjective.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Please note it is not scientific and very subjective.
but missleading all the same:RollEyes:
125 watt solar best 10 amp an hour, best sunshine in this country 10 hours so 10x10 = 100 amp a day and thats being generous
12v genny =70 amp an hour 70x10 = 700amp =365 days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
125 watt solar best 10 amp an hour, best sunshine in this country 10 hours so 10x10 = 100 amp a day and thats being generous

Feel free to download and amend and submit your own. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

i will :thumb:
i bet a 12v genny comes out on top:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's a very subjective. :winky: I am not convinced solar is the best option. I want a fuel cell. :Doh:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
ok we will do a simple run test for a £1000:thumb:
we will get four 110 amp flat batteries at 11,9v,i will take two and connect them to my genny,the other 2 can be connected to a 200 watt solar system,and after an 2 hours we will messure battery voltage,but i will also run a 600watt hairdryer during the run test,any takers???

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
we will get four 110 amp flat batteries at 11,9v,i will take two and connect them to my genny,the other 2 can be connected to a 200 watt solar system,and after an 2 hours we will messure battery voltage,but i will also run a 600watt hairdryer during the run test,any takers???

You must have a lot of hair if you need to run a hairdryer for two hours :ROFLMAO:

12v generator can produce more indeed but how much fuel to run it for 10hours. If you ran it for 1 hour it would be comparable to the solar panel all day, which uses no fuel at all. You can also have more solar if you've got room on the roof. I have 4 x 80/85w which could produce 200Ah+ per day at best but needs no attention and no fuel. Convenience and silence is also a factor, also unless you make your own as you do, 12v generators are quite expensive compared to around £100 for a solar panel.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
You must have a lot of hair if you need to run a hairdryer for two hours :ROFLMAO:

12v generator can produce more indeed but how much fuel to run it for 10hours. If you ran it for 1 hour it would be comparable to the solar panel all day, which uses no fuel at all. You can also have more solar if you've got room on the roof. I have 4 x 80/85w which could produce 200Ah+ per day at best but needs no attention and no fuel. Convenience and silence is also a factor, also unless you make your own as you do, 12v generators are quite expensive compared to around £100 for a solar panel.
4x80/85w solar system impressive:thumb:
200ah+per day at best!,thats the point at best but what about the winter on a dull day???
i was at whenbury and most of the vans had solar but all run a genny most of the day.:Doh:
solar is good when it works:thumb:but thats the big problem it dont allways work:Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree the generator would win

I agree with Chris the generator would win hands down.

I admit I have no solar power. I looked at the outlay, the number of sunny days in the UK and the shade I seek in the South of France (OK EHU available there)... I also looked at wind power.. not even off the starting blocks.. cost and return of power a waste of time.

So I am wild camping or at a show with no EHU.. my 2 x 100 amp hour batteries are going down. So yes I fire up the 4 kw genny and recharge them very fast. Cost is not the issue for the fuel it is the fact I can have the batteries back up to par for the use.

Silent cell charging .. yes very expensive layout, but it is the issue of getting the fuel ... I had enough issues getting a couple of batteries delivered, let alone the expensive fuel in containers. Would I if I could? possible.

So given not enough sun, given I am in a field and no EHU available I will run the generator to recharge the house batteries. It is for me a no contest situation.

I might add I have little room on my roof for any meaningful size solar panel. I have various items that can create shade areas.. the fridge vent, the aircon box, the various roof vents and of course the satellite dome.. so unless I want to mount a massive frame above all the normal hardware on my roof I could not (and would not) have a solar panel installed.

.... I have a sterling 1500 pure synwave invertor /charger on the RV and that gets used all the time, so I need to replenish my batteries lost power.

Bob

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Based on Cost and out right performance the 12 volt generator wins hand down.

I have just made mention on the other thread that the scoring is probably biased more towards overall convenience.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Based on Cost and out right performance the 12 volt generator wins hand down.

I have just made mention on the other thread that the scoring is probably biased more towards overall convenience.

good aint it:thumb:storage is not a problem its only small and light:thumb:
noise could be better but thats something i WILL sort out when my workshop warms up a bit:thumb:

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
good aint it:thumb:storage is not a problem its only small and light:thumb:
noise could be better but thats something i WILL sort out when my workshop warms up a bit:thumb:

It is chris and I am seriously thinking about it. Need to convince myself that it is a better option than just running the engine for an hour.

Also would need to make connecting to the battery easier. Maybe have a connector on the van (similar to EHU but rated for DC), to make connecting easier.

Also I wonder if these engines could be converted to run off gas? My thinking, a connection to the BBQ point therefore no need to carry petrol. :thumb:

All food for thought.

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Link Removed has been updated!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What is best is always going to be down to personal circumstances. For example Bob's 4kw genny would not be the first choice of many, but he's already got one so makes sense. Likewise solar is far from ideal if you want to wildcamp for long periods in the winter.
Surprised at the low output of the fuel cell, considering it's high cost. My solar panels will produce more than 6A on a cloudy day in February, admittedly only for a few hours. Solar suits me as I usually stay on a site/CS in the winter so EHU is usually available. My 'off-grid' use is in the summer so plenty of solar. I did carry a genny around for a year or two but only used it once, and that was really just to try it out. I don't bother now.

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Absolutely agree hence mentioning that it is very subjective subject. The file is useful as a quick comparison for the various systems and you can ignore the points system for that purpose or adapt it to fit you own requirements. :thumb:

The fuel cell quoted (comfort 140) is the mid range which is enough for most and is not reliant on available sunshine. :winky: The Comfort 210 will provide a charge current of 8.8 A. Would love a fuel cell, but I cannot justify the cost at this time.

Personally I have never been convinced by solar for my needs and will most likely opt to use the vehicle engine should I need a top up, but am looking at the Sterling battery to battery charger that the likes on Vanbitz supply in order to get the best out of my batteries.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

I'ii take up that challenge:thumb: Will run the engine to go to shops/sight seeing for two hour @110 amp hr (heavy duty alternator :winky:) so I reckon I only need about 3 quarters or one hour ::bigsmile:
terry

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I'ii take up that challenge:thumb: Will run the engine to go to shops/sight seeing for two hour @110 amp hr (heavy duty alternator :winky:) so I reckon I only need about 3 quarters or one hour ::bigsmile:
terry
your on :thumb:mk 2 is 160 amp hr:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Actually there was a van at Wrenbury twice the size of yours using twice the power and it never used a Generator all week. It was even there longer than yours.
Secondly, that same van was in the Alps and again despite the temperature hitting -30 still never used a generator for over a week in fact 10 nights. It was then joined by John & Shell who again stayed the whole week without using a generator. I was somewhat surprised but both owners know their stuff and the trick behind it. The first van was even using his microwave and hair dryer for his wife via the Inverter.

Pablo, 2 things spring to mind, Firstly I have a generator and would not be without it. I have solar panels as well but still would not be without it especially in winter. I use a Jerry can and you would never smell petrol in my van. You can however have a gas conversion fitted on the honda no problems and we even had one of them in the Alps with us.
The only thing I would be sure to do if I went on that road would be to fit an underslung gas tank at the same time.

Lastly, I would like to say thank you for taking the time and effort to at least attempt what you tried. Right or wrong, many wouldn't of bothered. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry for being a bit thick here (and off topic) but why not have solar panels AND a generator...

Wouldn't this mean that when there was a lot of sun you use the power supplied free (after initial outlay) by the shiny, hot thing in the sky and if it is overcast for several days, and you run short of power, you fire up the genny for a while?

It seems like a possible solution similar to the "bely and braces" philosphy...

JJ :Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is to simple JJ

Sorry for being a bit thick here (and off topic) but why not have solar panels AND a generator...

Wouldn't this mean that when there was a lot of sun you use the power supplied free (after initial outlay) by the shiny, hot thing in the sky and if it is overcast for several days, and you run short of power, you fire up the genny for a while?

That JJ is to simple or requires thinking out side the box.

Me, I have no roof space for a solar panel and the cost would well stop me considering the lack of sun in the UK most of the time.. I will stick to inverter and genny

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

No reason not too. :Smile: I am sharing the info as I am looking into the various options.

Personally I don't have room to store a suitcase style genny nor do I think solar panels are cost effective option for UK all year round use (only my opinion of course and many may disagree). :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back