which "A" frame (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
horses for courses really....they all do the same job and none can be reversed in the true sense of reversing, and not just what the law is interpreted as :RollEyes:, if they are set up correctly..:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Car a Tow which is well made and works well for me, no problems :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have the Unibrake system and you can reverse if your skilled enough.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have the Unibrake system and you can reverse if your skilled enough.
i can see its going to turn into another 'can/cant' thread. :roflmto:

i admit with an electric brake outfit you can reverse for any distance you are capable of BUT.....you cant reverse round a corner due to steering geometry.

you need to see this using a couple of toy cars or mentally picture all the wheels through the manoeuvre

in reverse turn your motorhome steering wheel left, the front turns right and the overhang swings left but so does the A frame forcing the front of the toad left and the toads steering geometry turns the toads wheels right...fighting against the A frame

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i can see its going to turn into another 'can/cant' thread. :roflmto:

i admit with an electric brake outfit you can reverse for any distance you are capable of BUT.....you cant reverse round a corner due to steering geometry.

you need to see this using a couple of toy cars or mentally picture all the wheels through the manoeuvre

in reverse turn your motorhome steering wheel left, the front turns right and the overhang swings left but so does the A frame forcing the front of the toad left and the toads steering geometry turns the toads wheels right...fighting against the A frame

the best way of describing it is in the reasoning Dyson made the ball vacuum cleaner.

OP
OP
D

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnlAzUqWgwk[/ame]

OP
OP
D

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
could always let the wife steer the car while reversing then again maybe not cheaper to buy a set of tyres than a trip to bodyshop

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
that is NOT under control...that is reversing using brute force.

you will notice of course the toads front wheels are in the opposite lock all the way round the corner....and i bet the driver didn't know, or was just blatantly making a point.

that is placing enormous stress on all the steering and suspension components, not to mention shredding the front tyres

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Doesn't look too clever to me , forcing the vehicle direction against the front wheel direction can't do the front of the car much good . Probably could do that with any a frame if you didn't like your toad :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could always let the wife steer the car while reversing then again maybe not cheaper to buy a set of tyres than a trip to bodyshop
not possible as the cars geometry, steering ratio and weight will be far more powerful than human muscle

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
i have to say, and is only my opinion, that you can buy a trailer for the same price as a good 'a' frame and you save wear and tear on tyres and moving componants while the car is on the trailer. Plus you can use trailer for moving other stuff when at home.

Not saying this is the only way to go, but does make sense to me?!!?

Cheyne

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the same effect can happen going forward as well :Eeek:

i was parked close to, and parallel to, the right hand kerb.

needed full left lock to pull away due to a car in front being too close to my front end.

OK for the first two foot then a dead stop.

got out and had a look and the toads wheels had turned right, due to the overhang swinging right, and hit the kerb stopping me dead

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back