Electrolux 4401 Fridge not working on Gas (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The fridge in our Hymer has stopped working on gas, its been working fine but we have been on some dodgy inclines while wild camping so not expecting it to get too cold. Now we are parked on the level, it will work on leccy, but not on gas.

The fridge only has one external vent and its just the condensing fins behind that, does anyone have a an old Hymer B544 that can point me in the right direction for fault finding.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It can't be related to your dodgy inclines otherwise it wouldn't work on leccy either. I assume the gas burner is alight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am having exactly same problem in the heat in Morocco.........

Now it has been suggested to me that the regulator when our vans were imported from Germany and 50 gb/mb or whatever and British gas regulators are max 30 gb/mb so not getting enough power to chill as not had burners reset........been also told my hobs is not brilliant flame I think its ok'ish does it job.

I have a Moroccan bottle to go on next and its regulator is set at 50 same as old German ones..........Do I try it???????????

Mine is great on leccy..........

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
fridge not working on gas

The fridge in our Hymer has stopped working on gas, its been working fine but we have been on some dodgy inclines while wild camping so not expecting it to get too cold. Now we are parked on the level, it will work on leccy, but not on gas.

The fridge only has one external vent and its just the condensing fins behind that, does anyone have a an old Hymer B544 that can point me in the right direction for fault finding.

Thanks

we have had that same problem before and it was because van was not lavel

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I am having exactly same problem in the heat in Morocco.........

Now it has been suggested to me that the regulator when our vans were imported from Germany and 50 gb/mb or whatever and British gas regulators are max 30 gb/mb so not getting enough power to chill.

I have a Moroccan bottle to go on next and its regulator is set at 50 same as old German ones..........Do I try it???????????

Mine is great on leccy..........
trouble is john! people have problems with fridges on gas in hot country's because they think that they have to turn them up,to make them cool ,but the opposit is correct as the gas gets to hot and it starts to boil the refridgerent(sp) turn it down:thumb:

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
check your 12v supply to the gas solinoid if no volts then check the fuses for it take the jet off and check there is not any shit in it. can you light it with a match if not i think there is a thermocouple as well connected to the solinoid and if this is fecked the gas will not come through to the jet

hope this helps

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
check your 12v supply to the gas solinoid if no volts then check the fuses for it take the jet off and check there is not any shit in it. can you light it with a match if not i think there is a thermocouple as well connected to the solinoid and if this is fecked the gas will not come through to the jet

hope this helps

I would do that, but it looks like i will have to remove the whole fridge to do it:Sad: When you turn it on the switch sparks for just a second and appears to light. there is some heat coming from a exhaust in the vent but I cannot see a flame as its hidden.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
are you saying that the gas wont light, Jim???

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Does the gas flame of the fridge light?

You can see it through a little "window" inside the fridge or tell by holding your hand over the upper vent and feeling for heat..

If the flame is alight and the van is level is the fridge on the "sunny side" of the van?

Sometimes when the outside is hot my Hymer fridge struggles... it has an added on fan to blow over the fins and assist the cooling process...

If the flame doesn't light the jet/burner could be blocked by fallen dirt from the tube or the igniter is not working or the thermocouple is broken and isn't keeping the gas flowing.

Are you still in Portugal? Down in the Algarve (on the 125) there is a motorhome parts buisness if you need spares...

JJ :Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
check your 12v supply to the gas solinoid if no volts then check the fuses for it take the jet off and [HI]check there is not any shit in it[/HI]. can you light it with a match if not i think there is a thermocouple as well connected to the solinoid and if this is fecked the gas will not come through to the jet

hope this helps

Wondered how long it would be before this turned into another toilet thread :ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Am I correct in thinking that the fridge is a 97 litre Electrolux absorption model and fitted against the rear wall Jim? If so, have you checked underneath to see if the lower vent was fitted horizontally in the floor? This is an acceptable fitting style for the model (assuming it's like the fridge in our Hymer). I think it may have been necessary in the B544 as the rear grey bumper/valance might have covered the lower vent if it were fitted conventionally in the wall.

If you can see a vent, it is worth checking the solenoid / control box that sits in that area - as mentioned by Ciderman. Dave Newell fitted a new 'black box' to ours some while back as it was not working properly on gas. Huge improvement - now it lights very quickly rather than taking several attempts as previously.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks

We had same problem in France last year-French technician blew the jet with compressed air,no change.He reckoned it needed new valve which would take a week to get,so he tapped the body of the Gas Valve sharply with screwdriver handle-it all worked ::bigsmile:.
I had to tap the valve a couple of times during the following 3 weeks-and we had a new gas valve installed when we got home.
Mike.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I would do that, but it looks like i will have to remove the whole fridge to do it:Sad: When you turn it on the switch sparks for just a second and appears to light. there is some heat coming from a exhaust in the vent but I cannot see a flame as its hidden.

[HI]Snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/HI]

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A lot of motorhome fridges have a slight design fault. The condensation tube goes into a small tub at the rear of the van. This tub is above a hot pipe (part of the refrigerant circuit) During cold weather and even some warm British weather this tub does not get warm enough to evaporate the water in it. Once full it can splash about and when on an incline can dribble down and contaminate the gas jet.

So check the gas jet for contamination, you can often clean it off. wipe the thermocouple and piezzo probe end also as they can also be contaminated.

Symptoms of this issue are , gas not lighting although piezzo is heard sparking, gas lights then flame fails, gas lights and fails then piezzo relights.

Then add some tube to the condensation tube and poke it out the fridge vent so the problem doesn't happen again.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Does the gas flame of the fridge light?

You can see it through a little "window" inside the fridge or tell by holding your hand over the upper vent and feeling for heat..

If the flame is alight and the van is level is the fridge on the "sunny side" of the van?

Sometimes when the outside is hot my Hymer fridge struggles... it has an added on fan to blow over the fins and assist the cooling process...

If the flame doesn't light the jet/burner could be blocked by fallen dirt from the tube or the igniter is not working or the thermocouple is broken and isn't keeping the gas flowing.

Are you still in Portugal? Down in the Algarve (on the 125) there is a motorhome parts buisness if you need spares...

JJ :Cool:

[HI]On these JJ you cant see the flame but mine sounds as though it lights[/HI]

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its a Hymer badged Electrolux Model 4401, there is no window to see the flame.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just had a look at a photo of the back of a 544 same vintage as yours, and the single (upper) fridge vent is on the RHS. Where the lower one would normally be there is the grey valance. SO the lower vent must be either in the floor or behind the valance (assuming there is air flow there).

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ok just been reading that you have to remove the hob, undo 4 screws in the walls of the fridge and though tight, it slides out. Only then can the jets be accessed. What a pain, and well beyond my patience levels on a hot day:Smile:

Think I'll have a beer and think about it.::bigsmile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Just a thought, our first Yank had had a Euro fridge fitted and it started misbehaving, looked lit, heat but no cooling. It was the gas jet partially blocked.

There's a good chance yoy can access it from the lower cover, if you can get to that. basically it's in the pipe just before the burner and under a simple cover.

As stated earlier, if you can get to it, means disconnecting the pipe so gas off, then blow through it. Don't 'prod' it with anything hard, compressed air is best and failing that a very soft toothbrush may get you out of you fix.

As others have said, if leecy is good the fridge is fine, it's a gas flow or ignition issue and if you feel heat I'd go for cloged jet. All that travling lightly has dislodge something:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Ok just been reading that you have to remove the hob, undo 4 screws in the walls of the fridge and though tight, it slides out. Only then can the jets be accessed. What a pain, and well beyond my patience levels on a hot day:Smile:

Think I'll have a beer and think about it.::bigsmile:
i can see a flat pack furniture moment coming on:ROFLMAO:
sian! go for a walk and leave him to it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just leave it on electric and save the gas for the bbq.:Cool:
if you can manage like that wait until you get back to blighty then get someone to have a look at it when you get back.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The fridge on electric has cooled 6 Super Bocks to perfection, this is bound to slow down the fixing of the gas issue::bigsmile:

If it cools on leccy then it is not an airlock or circulation problem so dont pull it out and turn it upside down. See my last post.

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Im just a female and as such dont no much about such things but i do remember this happening to us and the other half tried allsorts but in the end he took off the outside cover looked a bit like a vent and in there was a lot of electicle connections (I no prob is with gas not electrics) but he cleaned all connections made sure they were all connecting ect and gas worked dont no weather this will help but i hope it does .
Also good advice to turn down temp we have had this happen so all worth a try. Hope you get sorted

reguards teresa
:thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well I have tried to remove the fridge, I've damaged the hob and lost two plastic things that the four corner screws go into, they have fallen somewhere never to be seen again. why they could not just screw into the worktop, I don't know. The Fridge will not budge and Siân has forbidden me to swear at it anymore. The hob now only has two screws and the fridge is back on leccy, which means wilding with a cool box or sites with hookup arrgghh Good job its beer oclock:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back