DIY or get the workshop to do it ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
The workshop price for fitting the following is £375

DIY

4 x solar panel mounting brackets £9.95
Link Removed
1 way feed gland for solar panel cable £5.95
Link Removed
12/24v 10 amp solar charge controller regulator £18.99
Link Removed
80 watt solar panel monocrystalline £109.70
Link Removed

£144.59p inc. vat + postage

If you can run two wires from the panel to your regulator then connect this to your battery you can save £231.... ::bigsmile: enough saved for another 80 watt panel and 100Ah battery.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The workshop price for fitting the following is £375

DIY

4 x solar panel mounting brackets £9.95
Link Removed
1 way feed gland for solar panel cable £5.95
Link Removed
12/24v 10 amp solar charge controller regulator £18.99
Link Removed
80 watt solar panel monocrystalline £109.70
Link Removed

£144.59p inc. vat + postage

If you can run two wires from the panel to your regulator then connect this to your battery you can save £231.... ::bigsmile: enough saved for another 80 watt panel and 100Ah battery.
its a no brainer ,some people got more money than sense.:Doh:
i might start doing them 2 a day £150 for the fitting thats £300 a day:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Less the costed items that have been neglected
Less income tax
Less VAT
Less tools and equipment

I think those who are less gifted will find Dave's price very reasonable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Less income tax
Less VAT
Less tools and equipment

i got every tool needed to do most thing's on a motorhome and more:thumb:
and the skill:thumb:as you say some people aint though:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dave uses absolutely first class parts, and first class high quality workmanship to ensure repeat customers..

If money is available go to him.. You would be hard pressed to find anyone better

However...................

If money is not that freely available do the job your self .. but do not forget to add a tube of sikaflex sealent to the list of parts needed.. Using anything less to seal everything up is tantamount to asking for leaks !

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Less income tax
Less VAT
Less tools and equipment

Plus your insurance and other overheads and dare I use the "P" word (profit).

D.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
yep when i get back from marjel im going to set up my own workshop,doing motorhome fittings all legal like:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Fair comment. If you have the skills, the tools, the time then do it.

But there are people on here who struggle to turn the battery switch on.

£231 when running a business in today's climate doe not go far. One faulty panel and some re-work and it's all gone pear shaped.

And subtract some cable and stikaflex from the £231.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I fit as a secondary income if and when I have time and I charge MORE than Dave but I fit at the customers home (50 miles included) Take off their diesel travel and staying away at least 24hrs and it is customer convenient. I always use a good quality regulator with LCD display included.
Don't ask! I'm not taking jobs until May at earliest

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Good idea Chris, I can give you the name of a good insurance company to start you off on the road to financial ruin:ROFLMAO:

D.
insurance is no problem:thumb:been there done that:Doh:
already got a workshop,need a ramp,need to sort out gas cert,already got the tools,been working on caravans&motorhomes for 35 years,see jim and get a trader account and im away:thumb:watch this space:thumb:
got to be honest iv been thinking about it for a while:thumb:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
the way i look at it if your capable of doing it yourself then do it ,but if like many of us your talents lie in a different area then take up daves offer or leave it ,nobody is pressurising us to take up his offer its just there if you want to take it up, wish there were more offers on here like this for the benefit of us all

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
the way i look at it if your capable of doing it yourself then do it ,but if like many of us your talents lie in a different area then take up daves offer or leave it ,nobody is pressurising us to take up his offer its just there if you want to take it up, wish there were more offers on here like this for the benefit of us all

We're actively looking at what else we can do for the Funsters, watch this space.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're actively looking at what else we can do for the Funsters, watch this space.

D.

Built in electric cork screws.

Dishwashers.

Super efficient hair dryers.

Anti gassing kits.

Automatic reverse polarity protection.

Legalised A - Frames.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Considered setting up doing mobile fitting myself but decided against it.
Decided against it in the end.. Don't need the stress of dealing with customers like you lot :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bad weather would crimp the plans etc.

Fitted the solar panels to my van and previous 2 vans. Dead easy job for anyone competent at DIY.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am quite capable of fitting a panel myself but if I was in the market for one I would have been on the phone to Dave as I think the offer is very fair, I would not go to the trouble and time for the amount he is[HI] charging[/HI]:ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Plus your insurance and other overheads and [HI]dare I use the "P" word (profit).[/HI]

D.

Interesting you put it like that Dave, the 'P' word is just as important to the customer as it is to you. Be proud to make a profit.

Without it you won't be here tomorrow to look after the client, so it is important that you make a profit as customer care goes right out the window without it.

I've read you don't charge for advice on the phone or by email, got to make a profit to be able to pay the phone bill....loads of good reasons for profit.

Strap line to Chris Greens threads is
"The bitterness of low quality is long remembered after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Rarely a truer statement made.....all the Breast............. Griff

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
As well as being down to your personal skills, it also depends upon whether you have requirements to mount it a certain way. If you are fussy and have the spare time doing it yourself avoids you being annoyed later because the installer didn't run a cable exactly where you would have for example.

For me it is easy to install stuff myself, and I do have very specific requirements, and can spread the install over a number of weeks as I think about exactly what materials I want to use and where I am going to run cables etc. But then I'm not installing on a standard European motorhome.

Here is my solar install - just finishing it off this week:

Link to my install on RV.net

Steve.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Interesting you put it like that Dave, the 'P' word is just as important to the customer as it is to you. Be proud to make a profit.

Without it you won't be here tomorrow to look after the client, so it is important that you make a profit as customer care goes right out the window without it.

I've read you don't charge for advice on the phone or by email, got to make a profit to be able to pay the phone bill....loads of good reasons for profit.

Strap line to Chris Greens threads is
"The bitterness of low quality is long remembered after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Rarely a truer statement made.....all the Breast............. Griff

a good business needs profit to provide proper service and warranty back up to the customer, enough profit for future expansion, enough funding for the wages of staff/owner, taxes for HMRC to fund many thing including our/your pensions/health service.

Do it yourself if you can, but if you can’t don’t be shy of paying a proper price for those that do it PROFESHIONLY

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Never mind paying for quality.
Worked for years as a Service Technician on various office equipment, have had to go and rescue many that had been drawn by the lower priced fix.
Most of them rang us the second time, the old adage still applies if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fair comment. If you have the skills, the tools, the time then do it.

Every time I set out to do something 'simple' on the MH the job just seems to grow by the hour.
A cable needs to be run from A-B but there is something in the way that I hadn't bargained for,a hole needs to be drilled but all my 'bits' are too short to reach the place or my drill is too big to get in there.
The time taken grows and grows,the trips to the DIY store or caravan and camping store become tedious.
Far ,far easier to let someone who knows what they are doing sort it out in a couple of hours. ::bigsmile:
Mike.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Remember that all solar panels are not alike and all sellers are not as reliable as each other.

If you buy an Ebay panel, fit it yourself and it fails after 6 months trying to get it back to them, that is if they will take it back can be an issue.

If you buy from a reputable supplier like Dave you know that he has been in the trade for years, he has thousands of satisfied customers and he will sort any issues.

Sometimes it is worth paying to have no hassles and no worries.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Remember that all solar panels are not alike and all sellers are not as reliable as each other.

If you buy an Ebay panel, fit it yourself and it fails after 6 months trying to get it back to them, that is if they will take it back can be an issue.

If you buy from a reputable supplier like Dave you know that he has been in the trade for years, he has thousands of satisfied customers and he will sort any issues.

Sometimes it is worth paying to have no hassles and no worries.
how do they (the dealers) justify such incredible high prices??:Sad:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have over the years decided that if something needs to be done, then ask the expert, not some numpty who has been told how to do it by a mate in the pub and written instructions on the back of a pack of fags or worse still in Romanian.

I decided to have installed Solar Power, Gaslow, reversing camera etc, I sent out a few e-mails and in the end I chose CLS, he is local, has all the gear and was able to sort out the issues.

My solar panel is even in winter charging my 2 x 110 am batt, I am confident in knowing that I can phone Mark up and he will sort it out.

As was said by another poster if you buy off e-bay and it works fine, if it goes tit$ up, you are by yourself.

The vans I have bought over the years have all been looked at with care, if there is any suspicion that the work is the result of a DIY monkey or cowboy I walk away. Mrs ShiftZZ has a complete folder of every bit of equipment that the van has had, the previous owner kept everything, even down to receipts for wiper blades.

If, you install solar panels wrong and they come off at 70mph on the motorway, I doubt if your insurance company would pick up the tab, Mark has shown me his insurance document, he is trained and will readily show his qualifications.

I am not simply praising Mark, but, all the trained pro's are covered, thats why they are pro's.

Yes, cost does come into it, I could have driven to JCMH and had the work done there,but that would have been a 5 hr drive each way and a few days staying over. So in my case it was cost and convenience, plus keeping the work local.

If, you want to do it yourself, fine, up to you, but please don't come back on here with some sob story or some sad windup about having bought some extra special solar panels for £3.76 off some dodgy e-bay site..

I have seen JCMH and CLS work and I have no issues, watching JCMH install awning was an eye opener and I challenge anyone here do be as quick or as efficient as them, and the fitting was free.

"buy cheap, buy twice"

End of rant

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I have over the years decided that if something needs to be done, then ask the expert, not some numpty who has been told how to do it by a mate in the pub and written instructions on the back of a pack of fags or worse still in Romanian.

I decided to have installed Solar Power, Gaslow, reversing camera etc, I sent out a few e-mails and in the end I chose CLS, he is local, has all the gear and was able to sort out the issues.

My solar panel is even in winter charging my 2 x 110 am batt, I am confident in knowing that I can phone Mark up and he will sort it out.

As was said by another poster if you buy off e-bay and it works fine, if it goes tit$ up, you are by yourself.

The vans I have bought over the years have all been looked at with care, if there is any suspicion that the work is the result of a DIY monkey or cowboy I walk away. Mrs ShiftZZ has a complete folder of every bit of equipment that the van has had, the previous owner kept everything, even down to receipts for wiper blades.

If, you install solar panels wrong and they come off at 70mph on the motorway, I doubt if your insurance company would pick up the tab, Mark has shown me his insurance document, he is trained and will readily show his qualifications.

I am not simply praising Mark, but, all the trained pro's are covered, thats why they are pro's.

Yes, cost does come into it, I could have driven to JCMH and had the work done there,but that would have been a 5 hr drive each way and a few days staying over. So in my case it was cost and convenience, plus keeping the work local.

If, you want to do it yourself, fine, up to you, but please don't come back on here with some sob story or some sad windup about having bought some extra special solar panels for £3.76 off some dodgy e-bay site..

I have seen JCMH and CLS work and I have no issues, watching JCMH install awning was an eye opener and I challenge anyone here do be as quick or as efficient as them, and the fitting was free.

"buy cheap, buy twice"

End of rant
i dont know if that rant was aimed at me,but i can assure i aint no bodger or DIY monkey.
but a lot of dealers buy there stock of ebay,i know i sell them it,ok not solar panals but other things.:thumb:
so jcmh sell's dodgy gear on ebay,i think not,not all sellers on ebay are dodgy:Doh:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
i don't know if that rant was aimed at me,but i can assure i ain't no bodger or DIY monkey.
but a lot of dealers buy there stock of ebay,i know i sell them it,ok not solar panals but other things.:thumb:
so jcmh sell's dodgy gear on ebay,i think not,not all sellers on ebay are dodgy:Doh:

Chris

I was not aiming anything at you.

The original question was DIY or get the workshop to do it.

I explained my position that I chose a pro to do my work, I have the confidence that the work has been done correctly, and I have a comeback.

I pointed out that e-bay can be a hostile place and some crooks have used and are continuing to use it.

Could you please point out my reference to JCMH selling dodgy gear on E-bay. I have nothing but praise for JCMH.

e-bay can be a great place to get a bargain, but remember that you can be ripped off, and if you bought a solar panel and found it to be faulty in 18 months time, the chances are that that dealer is not online, or, is not able to supply the goods you require.

I bought 5 G4 LED lights off ebay, the supplier sent them the same day, I am yet to test them. I did e-mail him and asked for the white light version, a dn he said that he only stocks the warm white.. So you pay your money and take your chances.

I stand by what I said, there is always a risk of failure if you don't use a pro, the upside is that you may save some money, in my case thats not the main driving force in spending a lot for what I want (besides the low cost LED).

So its down to the individual, I can drive along knowing that Mark has done a good job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back